Penei Sewell (OFFICIAL LANCE STONE THREAD OF THE YEAR WINNER)

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
And by that logic, the Bears will never have a QB, they are, after all, the Bears.
To an extent I agree with this. Until the Bears prove they find a QB I’d say that’s an accurate statement. Same goes with the Lions. Until they prove they can win games, they will be worse than the Bears.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Grading Every NFL Team's 2021 Draft Haul​

Chicago Bears​

• Round 1, pick No. 11 (from NYG) – Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
  • Round 2, pick No. 39 (from CAR) – Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State
  • Round 5, pick No. 151 (from CAR) – Larry Borom, OT, Missouri
  • Round 6, pick No. 217 (from TB through SEA) – Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech
  • Round 6, pick No. 221 – Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina
  • Round 6, pick No. 228 – Thomas Graham Jr., CB, Oregon
  • Round 7, pick No. 250 (from SEA) – Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU

• We'll give the Chicago Bears a little extra credit for taking a flier on potential franchise quarterback Justin Fields. While the Ohio State product didn't play particularly well as a rookie (passer rating of 73.2), he was also hampered by Matt Nagy's disastrous play-calling and poor game-planning.
    Fields did show promise as a dual-threat, passing for 1,870 yards and rushing for 420. Running back Khalil Herbert also showed promise, rushing for 433 yards and 4.2 yards per carry. Khyiris Tonga had 24 tackles in 15 appearances.
    Those are pretty much the highlights of Chicago's rookie class. Cornerback Thomas Graham Jr. only appeared in four games, while Teven Jenkins was limited to two starts following back surgery. Larry Borom made eight starts but was responsible for four penalties and five sacks allowed, according to Pro Football Focus.
    Dazz Newsome appeared in only three games and had two catches.
    Overall, this was a disappointing class, though we'll grade on a curve because of the Fields pick. If he can develop into the elite quarterback Chicago has long sought, the rest of the class could flop and the Bears would still be winners.
    Grade: C+

Detroit Lions​

• Round 1, pick No. 7 – Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
  • Round 2, pick No. 41 – Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
  • Round 3, pick No. 72 – Alim McNeill, DT, NC State
  • Round 3, pick No. 101 (from LAR) – Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse
  • Round 4, pick No. 112 – Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC
  • Round 4, pick No. 113 (from CAR through CLE) – Derrick Barnes, LB, Purdue
  • Round 7, pick No. 257 (from BUF through CLE) – Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State

The Detroit Lions didn't draft a quarterback at No. 7 overall. However, they helped set the stage for their next signal-caller instead. Penei Sewell and Taylor Decker have the potential to be one of the league's top tackle tandems for many years.
Sewell struggled early in his transition to right tackle, but he settled in and allowed only five sacks all season, according to Pro Football Focus.
On the defensive side of the ball, Levi Onwuzurike and Alim McNeill were great, finishing with 35 and 39 tackles, respectively. Derrick Barnes was also great, finishing with 67 tackles, two sacks and four tackles for loss.
Jermar Jefferson and Ifeatu Melifonwu saw occasional playing time as well.
The steal of this draft class, though—and not just Detroit's class—was wideout Amon-Ra St. Brown. The USC product morphed into a No. 1 receiver down the stretch, finishing with six consecutive games of at least eight receptions.
St. Brown caught 90 passes for 912 yards and five touchdowns in 2021 while providing a passer rating of 104.0 when targeted.
The Lions didn't win a lot of games in 2021, but they helped lay the foundation for a turnaround 2022 campaign through the draft.

Grade: A

Seems written by a Lions fan.

Levi had a PFF grade of 43.1 and had only 3 total pressures
Alim was better at 60.3 and 10 total pressures
Barnes had a laughable grade of 29.9

So not sure how any of those guys had great seasons but then Borom struggled when Borom's PFF grade was better than all of them at 61.4. Also the 2 highest graded players across both draft classes were Amon-Ra and Khalil Herbert although I put less stock in PFF position grades.

Regardless Sewell and Amon-Ra make this draft class but the above is definitely overrating the other Lions draft picks.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So not sure how any of those guys had great seasons but then Borom struggled when Borom's PFF grade was better than all of them at 61.4. Also the 2 highest graded players across both draft classes were Amon-Ra and Khalil Herbert although I put less stock in PFF position grades.

Regardless Sewell and Amon-Ra make this draft class but the above is definitely overrating the other Lions draft picks.
Considering that they gave the Bears a generous C+ only because of the hope Fields might someday be decent, you don't have a leg to stand on with that argument.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Notes: 4 Detroit Lions make Sports Info Solutions’ All-Rookie teams​

Long story short, this thread is not aging well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Considering that they gave the Bears a generous C+ only because of the hope Fields might someday be decent, you don't have a leg to stand on with that argument.

That has nothing to do with the argument. The point was not sure how they determined 3 Lions guys were great but that Borom struggled when Borom actually had a higher PFF grade than all 3 of them. It isn't even the case they had good stats. There stats were mediocre and a guy like Barnes was one of the worst graded LBs in the entire NFL but somehow he had a great rookie season.

Lol, who the fuck are Sports Info Solutions.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That has nothing to do with the argument. The point was not sure how they determined 3 Lions guys were great but that Borom struggled when Borom actually had a higher PFF grade than all 3 of them. It isn't even the case they had good stats. There stats were mediocre and a guy like Barnes was one of the worst graded LBs in the entire NFL but somehow he had a great rookie season.

Lol, who the fuck are Sports Info Solutions.
LOL

Detroit Lions, Penei Sewell: A​

Chicago Bears, Justin Fields: C+​

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL

Detroit Lions, Penei Sewell: A​

Chicago Bears, Justin Fields: C+​

This has nothing to do with what I said. I never questioned the grades on Sewell or Fields. I questioned them claiming guys were great and Borom struggled when Borom had a higher overall PFF grade than them.

Try reading slowly this time. My comments were about Levi, Alim and Barnes. Not Penny or Amon-Ra. Penny and Amon-Ra were great for you guys. Alim, Levi, and Barnes were not. Their grades are worst than Borom and even Tonga had higher grades than Barnes and Levi. I have no idea how 43.1 and 29.9 with shitty stats are great seasons. They must be grading on a Lions curve.

Barnes is especially baffling. The dude was legit the 3rd worst graded LB in the NFL. 92 out of 94 players and his passer rating against was a perfect 158.3. Out of 324 players at LB, CB, and S, Branes legit ranked 324th in passer rating. Absolutely abysmal coverage numbers.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This has nothing to do with what I said. I never questioned the grades on Sewell or Fields. I questioned them claiming guys were great and Borom struggled when Borom had a higher overall PFF grade than them.

Try reading slowly this time. My comments were about Levi, Alim and Barnes. Not Penny or Amon-Ra. Penny and Amon-Ra were great for you guys. Alim, Levi, and Barnes were not. Their grades are worst than Borom and even Tonga had higher grades than Barnes and Levi. I have no idea how 43.1 and 29.9 with shitty stats are great seasons. They must be grading on a Lions curve.

Barnes is especially baffling. The dude was legit the 3rd worst graded LB in the NFL. 92 out of 94 players and his passer rating against was a perfect 158.3. Out of 324 players at LB, CB, and S, Branes legit ranked 324th in passer rating. Absolutely abysmal coverage numbers.
You don't seem to grasp the aspect that rookies improve through the year. and the stats you like to spout off are a compilation of the entire year. Of more importance is to look at how a rookie finished, not how he started, especially when looking at later round draft picks.

Furthermore, Sewell holds a great bit more importance to this thread, because, well, the thread is about him?

And for you, you barely knew who St; Brown was until I mentioned him.

By all accounts, and as I have shown you, this was a great draft class by the Lions. I do believe there was another bone head commenting in this thread that after Sewel none of the Lions drafts were any good? Certainly seems to be an opinion not supported nationally.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You don't seem to grasp the aspect that rookies improve through the year. and the stats you like to spout off are a compilation of the entire year. Of more importance is to look at how a rookie finished, not how he started, especially when looking at later round draft picks.

Furthermore, Sewell holds a great bit more importance to this thread, because, well, the thread is about him?

By all accounts, and as I have shown you, this was a great draft class by the Lions. I do believe there was another bone head commenting in this thread that after Sewel none of the Lions drafts were any good? Certainly seems to be an opinion not supported nationally.

The comment from the article was that they were great. They were not great. If you want to say they finished the year strong then say they finished the year strong but it is absurd to say they were great.. But let's look at how each of the rookies I mentioned actually finish.

Levi - His 2 worst grades for the year came within the last 5 games and he didn't get a grade above 58. So no he did not improve grade wise.

Barnes - He got a 27 his last game which was his 3rd worst grade on the year. His previous 4 games before that stinker saw him get his 2nd and 4th highest graded games but also his 2nd and 6th worst graded game. So a mixed bag and certainly not a trend of improvement especially when you rank at the bottom of the league to begin with.

Alim - The only guy that did in fact improve as the season closed as his two best games were his final 2.

The argument was not whether it was a great draft class. I comment on the claim that the above 3 guys were great because their stats and PFF grades say otherwise. What makes the Lions draft class good is Penny and Amon-Ra. Barnes was fucking terrible not great. Levi was pretty bad. Alim was good and improved at the end of the year.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Are people still having the Sewage vs Chase debate? Chase otw to the AFCC. Sewage is...well where the Lions always are.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are people still having the Sewage vs Chase debate? Chase otw to the AFCC. Sewage is...well where the Lions always are.
When was it ever the Sewell vs Chase Debate?

Here's a little hint............

Chase was selected #5, Sewell #7

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are we still on this fucking guy?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Are we still on this fucking guy?
they are. I just comment in a feeble attempt to pad my post count so that I can be accepted by nerds crying about overtime rules in another thread. sidenote: the Bears didn't get fucked in OT, some other jabroni team did. if it happened to the Bears my words of advice are for the Chicago Bears to just play better, then there's no overtime.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

gotta say..that's offensive to this thread.
Thing is..Detroit may be screwed eternally, Lions can draft good if they do a a good job at it, but eventually nobody is really gonna want to stay there after their rookie contracts. Everybody now knows Stafford finally won a playoff game by not playing for Detroit. Also, Detroit has a hard time getting the big names FA to come there. ETERNALLY.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Again, re-signing your own rookie is a bonus factor. Doyour picks want to stay put in Detroit???

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, re-signing your own rookie is a bonus factor. Doyour picks want to stay put in Detroit???
Seriously dude? yeah, ok, Detroit has never resigned any of their own rookies............

GTFO

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Seriously dude? yeah, ok, Detroit has never resigned any of their own rookies............

GTFO
Lions won 3 fucking games this season and watched their most recent QB Stafford win in the playoffs, dude is on his way to the NCFCG and eventually heading to the superbowl..Your players is watching this shit go down right now, after a THREE WIN season.

your team re-signs guys that cake the team for the money and falls off and quits on your team.