Per Dan Pompei Ken Whisenhunt a possible OC for Bears if Gase leaves

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
NFL reporter Dan Pompei reports ex-Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt is a "name to keep an eye on" for the Bears' OC opening if Adam Gase leaves.
Gase is fully expected to land a head-coaching gig, so replacing him will likely be one of coach John Fox's first tasks. Fox could promote QBs coach Dowell Loggains to OC, as he also had a great relationship with Jay Cutler this season and has experience calling plays in Tennessee a few years back. Whisenhunt would be a nice addition, too. He's been in over his head as a head coach, but he was part of the group that turned Philip Rivers around in San Diego when he served as the Chargers' OC under coach Mike McCoy.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whisenhut would be a solid hire as OC. I think I would prefer that and keep Loggains as QB coach. Loggains has no play calling experience and with a defense minded HC, I prefer experience at OC.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Since McCoy is staying.. (damnit) .. I'd rather look at Jim Bob Cooter if possible. Whisenhunt does nothing for me.. at all. I'd rather Loggains get a crack

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Frank Wright just became available from SD as well

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I'm all for bringing in somebody from the outside like Whisenhunt or Cooter. Then you can keep Loggains as the QB coach and try to replicate the collective brainpower around Cutler this year instead of going with Loggains and some new QB coach.

BearForceOne

Liked Posts:
Cooter would need a promotion of some kind to come here, no? Anyway, I kind of like the idea of promoting Loggains - that's what successful organizations do when they lose a coordinator, so trying to emulate that line of thinking is a good idea, IMO.

BearForceOne

Liked Posts:
Although, I'll also add that Whisenhunt wouldn't be a bad idea either

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Whisenhunt would be a solid hire. With a healthy White, Jeffery, and hopefully a much better OL, I think we could get the job done. I don't think Fox ever plans to fully take the reigns off Jay, but we would have a solid offense to go along with a much improved D if Pace plays his cards right.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I thought Whisenhunt, aka WhisenPUNT, was horrible as a head coach, but I think he's better suited as a OC, and wouldn't mind him in that role with the Bears. Pompei also said to keep an eye on Mike Mularkey. Here is the original article:

http://www.danpompei.net/#!2015seasonendingthoughts/d0jya

Dan's Season Ending Thoughts on the Bears

On Matt Forte: It’s difficult to imagine the Bears a better team without Forte next season. I’d like to see him back, but not if it means overpaying. If they lose him, they will have to replace him with a veteran, I believe, because even though Jeremy Langford is promising, he is not yet the complete player Forte is. I know the Bears have not made any decisions on Forte’s future. But here is an interesting tidbit John Fox told me. He said when Forte inured his knee midway through the season, Fox told him, “Be smart. I don’t know what’s going to happen and you don’t either. You need to get well and make sure what you put out there on tape is good. That tape is your resume.” Fox added that he has advised other players similarly in the past.

On potentially replacing Adam Gase: If the Bears lose their offensive coordinator, my guess is Fox’s first choice will be to replace Gase with an outside coach. One to keep an eye on is Ken Whisenhunt. Another, should he be fired as interim head coach of the Titans, is Mike Mularkey. And a possibility exists that quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains could be promoted depending on how things play out.

On Jay Cutler: Rough game Sunday, but I don’t know that many quarterbacks could have done much better given what he was working with. What Cutler did in 2015 was impressive and he deserves credit. But I’m dubious the transformation would have happened if Gase had not been in the equation. The challenge here may be seeing if Cutler can continue to play the way he did in 2015 with a new playcaller. Fox believes Cutler can continue to thrive in part because on Cutler’s attitude. “As long as a guy is smart, has mental toughness and is willing to work, he’ll get better,” Fox said. He also said Cutler stepped up this season in terms of leadership, accountability and “raising boats.”

On Alshon Jeffery: I don’t think the free agent to be is going anywhere, nor should he be. The Bears believe Jeffery can stay healthier in the future, and they have a plan to make sure that happens. Fox said the team is going to have Jeffery meet with a biomechanist to check his alignment. “We will have that evaluation to see if anything is out of whack,” Fox told me. “If something is out of whack, there are ways to compensate for it.” The Bears had been taking extra precautions with Jeffery, giving him extra time to warm up before practices. What Fox believes is one injury led to others with Jeffery. He said he thought Jeffery worked harder than ever last offseason, and that he had “as good a training camp as I’ve seen anyone had.” Then came the calf pull. “Things just snowballed,” Fox said. “Things got out of alignment.”

On second guessing the trade of Brandon Marshall: In hindsight, Marshall would have made the Bears a better team, assuming he could have repaired his relationship with Cutler. But the Bears got rid of Marshall in anticipating of drafting a big play wide receiver. They thought they would end up with Kevin White when they dealt him, or maybe Amari Cooper, or someone else who could replace Marshall’s production. White’s lost season made it impossible to replace Marshall’s catches and yards. There is another aspect to the Marshall trade that I think has been misunderstood. The Bears were not hell bent on dumping Marshall because they thought he was a cancer. They weren’t thrilled with the fact that he had caused some waves. And they believed Marshall and Jeffery were not the best combination because neither one of them was a player who could run all the routes. Marshall clearly still is a dominant player, but at this point of his career Marshall does not have the ability to take the top off a defense. The Bears thought they needed a receiver who could get deep and run the intermediate routes to pair with Jeffery. That’s what they tried to draft in White.

On Martellus Bennett: Given everything that has transpired with Bennett going back to last offseason, my feeling is he will be a former Bear by the summer. But for that to happen, the Bears would have to feel confident they can replace him. Bennett isn’t an easy player to replace, given his size and ability and willingness to block. Tight ends who can block like he can are difficult to find. His receiving contributions can be replaced easily enough. The Bears might be able to trade him, but Bennett’s trade value will be minimal, especially because he’s going to want more money.

On Marc Mariani: There is something to him. I’d like to see him in a role where he is the No. 4 wide receiver with a healthy Jeffery, White and Eddie Royal creating space for him.

On Charles Leno: I have no qualms about going into 2016 with him as the starting left tackle. He struggled a little Sunday against Ziggy Ansah, but so have a lot of left tackles. If you have to give Leno a little help against one of the best pass rushers in football, I can live with that. He performed very consistently all season long, and there is reason to believe he should be better next season.

On John Fox: Two things stood out about Fox in his first season in Chicago. The first was his ability to get his team to keep fighting and to not beat itself. The second is his willingness to mix up his lineup. Fox told me one of the benefits of being a head coach, as he sees it, is he is free to watch scout teams during practice. That explains why scout team players on the Bears have been routinely promoted throughout the season.

On offseason needs: The Bears should determine how to fill holes based on who is available, first in free agency and then in the draft. If I were Ryan Pace, this is how I’d look at it: the primary issue should not be acquiring players at targeted positions as much as it should be about acquiring playmakers. The Bears could use playmakers at every position, and whatever kind of playmaker they can acquire would be helpful. No position should be ruled out.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Whisenhut would be a good hire but I don't think his personality would mesh well with Cutler. It's not a reflection of Cutler in so much as a reflection of Whisenhut.

I just don't think that would be a particularly good marriage of minds as he's known to be a bit of a dick at times.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Whisenhut would be a good hire but I don't think his personality would mesh well with Cutler. It's not a reflection of Cutler in so much as a reflection of Whisenhut.

I just don't think that would be a particularly good marriage of minds as he's known to be a bit of a dick at times.

He was also blaming everyone in the locker room but himself before he was fired, then he changed his tune when he figured out he better play nice to look good for a future team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Ken W cuz he would fix the O line.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cooter would need a promotion of some kind to come here, no? Anyway, I kind of like the idea of promoting Loggains - that's what successful organizations do when they lose a coordinator, so trying to emulate that line of thinking is a good idea, IMO.

The only promotion a current coach has to be allowed to interview for is HC. Even if you are a position coach or a coordinator given like an Asst Head Coach title, your current team doesn't have to allow you to interview.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
NFL reporter Dan Pompei reports ex-Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt is a "name to keep an eye on" for the Bears' OC opening if Adam Gase leaves.
Gase is fully expected to land a head-coaching gig, so replacing him will likely be one of coach John Fox's first tasks. Fox could promote QBs coach Dowell Loggains to OC, as he also had a great relationship with Jay Cutler this season and has experience calling plays in Tennessee a few years back. Whisenhunt would be a nice addition, too. He's been in over his head as a head coach, but he was part of the group that turned Philip Rivers around in San Diego when he served as the Chargers' OC under coach Mike McCoy.

Yeah i saw he's a name for us as our OC and for San Diego as their OC and i'm sure he'll have other choices as well but i'd be more than happy with him.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Whisenhunt is my number one pick... I am dying to see him come here.

Whisenhunt is garbage- I will be super pissed if the bears hire him!

I will edit this post to the proper choice in a couple of years.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Pompei is spot on with his playmaker comment. We need to add 2-3 playmakers on D and this is a great FA class to add 1-2. In reading Gase's comments about FA, I don't think we will be spending heavy on any one player however.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I'd prefer Loggains and keep some level of continuity for Jay and the O.

Then again, look at Babich when he took over for Lovie with play calling to continue with same playbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk