Per Woj: Bulls To Sign Jarvis Varnado

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 14m
Bulls will sign D-League forward Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. He worked out in Chicago on Monday.

Anyone know anything about this guy?

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
All-time leader in block in the SEC. Got drafted by the Heat in 2009 or 10 and spent a lot of time over seas playing. Was just named to NBDL prospect all star team.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt this will be relevant.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This 6'9" D-leaguer might be a 10 day try out for most teams, but I for one have some excitement because of the pairing with Thibs. This is awesome. The best defender in d-league? Maybe Thibs asked for someone that can play defense under his breathe watching Boozer one day.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
what does it matter....thibs wont play him

but its nice they are looking at young dleague talent and not corpses like marcus camby

czman

Liked Posts:
Bulls need 13 players on their roster and he is number 13. You can only drop below that for 2 weeks at a time. If it is a 10 day contract it allows the Bulls 3+ weeks before they have to find that 13th guy if he does not work out.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
This 6'9" D-leaguer might be a 10 day try out for most teams, but I for one have some excitement because of the pairing with Thibs. This is awesome. The best defender in d-league? Maybe Thibs asked for someone that can play defense under his breathe watching Boozer one day.

You are excited over this? Really? Excited? Lol...

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kind of surprised the Bulls didn't sign Mike James for the trillionth time.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
He will be gone after his 10-day contract. The FO has to be slick with how they sign the 13th man because incentive bonuses for both Noah & Taj could likely push us into the LT territory. I fully expect Mike James to be that 13th guy when all is said and done. They are just using as many 10-day contracts as they can until they HAVE to sign a 13th guy for the remainder of the season to be eligible for the playoffs.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
All-time leader in block in the SEC. Got drafted by the Heat in 2009 or 10 and spent a lot of time over seas playing. Was just named to NBDL prospect all star team.

He's actually the all time shot blocker in college history, not just the SEC.

He's slightly undersized and from what I remember, I believe he is fairly thin as well. He does have good instinct defensively around the basket(obviously) but that's about it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

He's slightly undersized and from what I remember, I believe he is fairly thin as well. He does have good instinct defensively around the basket(obviously) but that's about it.
When I saw your post I got excited because I thought you changed the name of the guy you quoted. Then I saw my excitement was for naught.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

I think it's a nice move. Nothing says he'll excel like DJ, but who thought DJ would play this well? The Bulls definitely won't find our next star scorer from the DL, but a 'shot blocker' could actually help the Bulls, imo.

Thibb's obviously has a way to get the best out of players, especially defensively. Inserting a natural shot blocker into Thibb's defense might help out a lot. I've always said I'd like to sign a real shot blocker for the Bulls.

Not that this is the guy, but imagine the Bulls defense with a dynamic rim protector? I for one, think it'd be hard to score against the Bulls at the end of games. Hope Thibb's puts this guy in a little to see what he can do!

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Here's the article on his signing. Sure seems like a good fit for the Bulls. I know it's early to get excited about about a DL acquisition, but this guy could really add to the bench mob defense, imo. Check out a comment by a Bulls fan who watch him in college...

The all-time NCAA leader in blocked shots. I watched him from the student section for most of his career at Mississippi State University. For those who don't know about this guy, he is a very intelligent basketball player, especially on defense (poor man's Joahkim Noah). What I like is that he's developed a jump shot, something he didn't have in college. He fits right in to that Chicago Bulls culture. Big-time college player (Won NCAA defensive player of the year twice), and a quiet guy that just does his job. As a lifetime Bulls fan, I am very excited about this acquisition.

Come on Thibbs, put the kid in!

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i doubt he stays...so no need to get excited