Permanent GM Interviews To Begin

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Kind of think 2 and 19 are going to end up in the rafters…..

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Toews would have to sign for something like 2-3 million at most for a year. So essentially I agree, he will most likely just retire. I think it would be the right move, the guy has won at every level and his concussion history is no joke. That's hard to say, but it's true. He'll go down not only as a champion at every level, but as the greatest captain in Blackhawks history.

Kane, same story, but maybe he gets offered a bit more for one year, like 4-5 million perhaps? Unlike Toews, who always played a harsher two-way style of hockey, I do think Kane still has more hockey left. The question will be, will he want to stick around on a shit team on a short-team deal -- he has said he wants to stay in Chicago, but of course, every player says that. Maybe he will want to continue to rise in the Blackhawks record books, that would really be the only reason for him to stay.

I remember on the Blackhawks old board (when they had one on their main site), maybe around 2013, we argued which players would have their numbers retired. Many posters, myself included, listed like 4 players, lol, many of which were the same and ranged from Hossa, Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, etc. And these posters weren't newbs, they were veteran posters. I guess we all just got blind in that era of dominance, considering how rare it is for one number to be retired, let alone multiple numbers. It's funny in hindsight, how naive we were. Now, it's hard to see anyone up in the rafters other than Kane. These are all great players/champions, but in order for your number to be retired by a franchise, you have to be an utter legend for your entire career.
There is a big possibility that Kane gets traded or leaves as a free agent. If he is still over a point per game (even at his age) someone will offer 2-3 year $7+mil/yr. Even Parise was getting paid $8-9mil a few seasons ago.

I still think 88 and 2 are locks for the rafters. 19 probably because that would be a huge snub even without the stats. 7 is probably the only other one with a shot. 50 is close because he is near the top in a lot of franchise stats, and 50 isnt a common # anyway. I think 81 and 10 just dont have the production, and they had plenty of years with other teams.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There is a big possibility that Kane gets traded or leaves as a free agent. If he is still over a point per game (even at his age) someone will offer 2-3 year $7+mil/yr. Even Parise was getting paid $8-9mil a few seasons ago.

I still think 88 and 2 are locks for the rafters. 19 probably because that would be a huge snub even without the stats. 7 is probably the only other one with a shot. 50 is close because he is near the top in a lot of franchise stats, and 50 isnt a common # anyway. I think 81 and 10 just dont have the production, and they had plenty of years with other teams.
Yeah he'll definitely get more on the open market. I was just thinking what the Hawks specifically could afford to give him. The Hawks wouldn't want him for that price and term though; and if they did sign him to that, I'm a Kane fan and all, but that would be a serious organizational mistake.

Ideally, you'd have Kane, Keith, and Toews in the rafters. Of course, there are many other great Hawks of that era, but those are the only 3 that should be considered. I'd be fine with all three, but if you could only choose one, which I feel like the Hawks very well might, it's Kane. Keith - the dude was my favorite Blackhawk, and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I don't see how he gets his number retired when Steve Larmer (and to a lesser extent, Doug Wilson) didn't. I guess it will be a question of if the Hawks will want to keep it hard to get your number retired and/or if 3 Cups makes it easier to get raised. But Kane is the only lock of the three, with Toews second, and Keith third. If I had to bet, I'd say Kane and Toews get raised.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I agree with your skepticism, although I am more skeptical of Davidson than I am the writer, at least in this instance. When Davidson says, "rebuild," as he was quoted, what exactly is his definition of a rebuild? Because we all saw what Bowman's definition of it was when he said the same thing 2 years ago, which was utter bull shit. I guess my point is, Davidson said the right thing, but it doesn't mean anything unless he backs it up with his actions.
Agreed. It just sounds like more sound bites out of a new GM bag, but given who gave him the time I won't trust anything he says till we see actionable items happen.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Toews would have to sign for something like 2-3 million at most for a year. So essentially I agree, he will most likely just retire. I think it would be the right move, the guy has won at every level and his concussion history is no joke. That's hard to say, but it's true. He'll go down not only as a champion at every level, but as the greatest captain in Blackhawks history.

Kane, same story, but maybe he gets offered a bit more for one year, like 4-5 million perhaps? Unlike Toews, who always played a harsher two-way style of hockey, I do think Kane still has more hockey left. The question will be, will he want to stick around on a shit team on a short-team deal -- he has said he wants to stay in Chicago, but of course, every player says that. Maybe he will want to continue to rise in the Blackhawks record books, that would really be the only reason for him to stay.

I remember on the Blackhawks old board (when they had one on their main site), maybe around 2013, we argued which players would have their numbers retired. Many posters, myself included, listed like 4 players, lol, many of which were the same and ranged from Hossa, Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, etc. And these posters weren't newbs, they were veteran posters. I guess we all just got blind in that era of dominance, considering how rare it is for one number to be retired, let alone multiple numbers. It's funny in hindsight, how naive we were. Now, it's hard to see anyone up in the rafters other than Kane. These are all great players/champions, but in order for your number to be retired by a franchise, you have to be an utter legend for your entire career.
Toews will have his name up in the rafters, there is no debate there. Going back to that discussion I remember it very clearly, we as fans were so blinded by the championships there was a moment when people were justifying anyone and everyone having there name hung among the greats, Crawfords name was even being thrown around at one point. I always believed Kane and Toews would have there day, but that would be the extent of it, maybe Keith, probably Keith but it ends there.
I look at it this way as a comparable, Does Malkin, Crosby and Letang get there numbers retired. Pittsburgh obviously in terms of legacy and tradition and the fact they are not an original 6 can’t be viewed on the same level as a Chicago, Boston, Montreal etc, however they are a very successful franchise and there back back cups and 2008 cup and loss in 2009 puts them at the Hawks level. It will be Interesting, In reference to your Steve Larmer example, he didnt have the hardware and the accolades that Kane Toews and Keith have achieved, and Larmer was my all time favourite Hawk, his name doesnt deserve to be up there in the rafters, you need to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
Toews will have his name up in the rafters, there is no debate there. Going back to that discussion I remember it very clearly, we as fans were so blinded by the championships there was a moment when people were justifying anyone and everyone having there name hung among the greats, Crawfords name was even being thrown around at one point. I always believed Kane and Toews would have there day, but that would be the extent of it, maybe Keith, probably Keith but it ends there.
I look at it this way as a comparable, Does Malkin, Crosby and Letang get there numbers retired. Pittsburgh obviously in terms of legacy and tradition and the fact they are not an original 6 can’t be viewed on the same level as a Chicago, Boston, Montreal etc, however they are a very successful franchise and there back back cups and 2008 cup and loss in 2009 puts them at the Hawks level. It will be Interesting, In reference to your Steve Larmer example, he didnt have the hardware and the accolades that Kane Toews and Keith have achieved, and Larmer was my all time favourite Hawk, his name doesnt deserve to be up there in the rafters, you need to draw the line somewhere.
Fair enough. Larmer is like top 5 in almost every category for the franchise though, in many cases above Keith, but yeah, Keith's 2 Norris' and 3 Cups are hard to argue.

I remember so many people had Seabs. Hell, I might have been one of them at the time. I still love Seabrook by the way, but no way he gets raised. He was a fantastic player though, so many playoff clutch goals. When Keith and Seabs were at their best, there was no better tandem in the league.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Fair enough. Larmer is like top 5 in almost every category for the franchise though, in many cases above Keith, but yeah, Keith's 2 Norris' and 3 Cups are hard to argue.

I remember so many people had Seabs. Hell, I might have been one of them at the time. I still love Seabrook by the way, but no way he gets raised. He was a fantastic player though, so many playoff clutch goals. When Keith and Seabs were at their best, there was no better tandem in the league.
Seabs was an outstanding complimentary player to Keith, and yes at one time those two were viewed as the best defensive tandem in hockey, the big issue with Seabs, was the obvious his injuries and how , he so quickly went from a pillar of strength on the defensive front to an absolute liability in such a small amount of time. Like I mentioned his health was a big issue and how he played the game was another, I actually visioned Seabs to at least making it to 35 and providing some sort mentorship to the kids coming up and that completely failed evident by his early retirement. The sad truth is as much as the glory days of the Hawks will go down as some of the best days we as Hawks fans were privileged enough to see, the team fell from grace at such an alarming rate, and as such all those names we thought would be hanging became an afterthought. Sharp being traded to Dallas, Hossa and his skin condition, Seabs with his back and hips, CC and his concussion history, Toews with his concussions and his battle with Covid and feeling lethargic and weak and tired, I am really not sure a team has faced the elements the Hawks had with all there star players. Bowman was a shitface and assbag but look at his star players they all became used car parts with the price tag of a Lamborghini. Regardless of who the Hawks were going to name as a new GM it was going to be one heck of job, and that started way back 7 years ago a couple years after we thought as players like Seabs would have his name in the rafters.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

I wanted to mention Keith, I think we forget sometimes how good he was, and how the signing of that long term contract saved the Hawks, because there was no doubt he could of been making Toews and Kane money. He was an absolute stud on the backend, a machine, energizer bunny, I remember the series versus Anaheim, were Kessler was aiming for him all series long, hit after hit and Keith kept going, and if it wasnt Kessler it was Getzlaf or Perry, those are what made Keith special, and we can add 2 gold medals to his accolades.