Peter Schrager 2021 NFL mock draft 1.0

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I'm just happy that he doesn't have us moving up for a QB. I would much rather have Elijah Moore over Toney. Actually, I'd rather move back in the draft, pick up a pick and still get Elijah Moore, should the draft turn out this way.

Just a few weeks away from the 2021 NFL Draft, it's time to roll out my first mock of the year. Trades have already significantly impacted Round 1 ... and I'm supplying two more juicy swaps below. Plus, a sixth quarterback sneaks into the first 32 selections.

Pick

Jacksonville Jaguars

Trevor Lawrence
Clemson · QB
This one has been the books since the Jets beat the Rams in Los Angeles last December. I don't think Urban Meyer leaves the FOX Sports studios if Trevor Lawrence isn't available for Jacksonville at No. 1.

Pick

New York Jets

Zach Wilson
BYU · QB
In the end, I think Wilson will be the guy. His 2020 campaign numbers were eye-popping, but it's his toughness and fearlessness over the course of his entire college career that really impresses folks around the league.

Pick

San Francisco 49ers

Mac Jones
Alabama · QB
The 49ers made a decisive trade to get to No. 3 overall. I honestly do not think they've made a decision on who the QB will be yet, but they wanted the flexibility to make that choice over the next few weeks. I will tell you this: Mac Jones' name didn't pop up out of nowhere. And I don't think it's a smoke screen. He has all of the traits Kyle Shanahan is looking for.

Pick

New England Patriots
(via Falcons)
TRADE

Justin Fields
Ohio State · QB
This would be a trade that rocks the NFL, but I don't think it's too crazy. The Patriots don't envision having a pick as high as they currently do (15th) anytime soon, and this is their year to make a big move if they're ever going to get their blue-chip QB to develop. Fields was a highly recruited player who performed on the biggest of stages. This year's first- and second-rounder (No. 46) plus next year's first and third could be enough for New England to get Atlanta to move back 11 spots.

Pick

Cincinnati Bengals

Ja'Marr Chase
LSU · WR
The Bengals can't go wrong if things play out this way. Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater and Kyle Pitts all would be excellent selections for Cincinnati. But Chase racked up 84 catches, 1,780 yards and 20 touchdowns in a season with Joe Burrow at LSU. Let them thrive together for years to come in Cincy.

Pick

Miami Dolphins

Rashawn Slater
Northwestern · OT
Most mock drafts have Penei Sewell coming off the board before Slater, but a few teams have told me it'll be the other way around. Miami took offensive linemen with early picks last year, but I think they'll continue to build there and protect the QB.

Pick

Arizona Cardinals
(via Lions)
TRADE

Kyle Pitts
Florida · TE
Pitts isn't falling out of the top eight. Too many teams are intoxicated by him. I've got the Cardinals as aggressors -- as they've been all offseason -- with Steve Keim bringing in yet another weapon for Kyler Murray. Arizona gives up this year's first-rounder, next year's first and next year's third to move up from No. 16.

First Draft: Florida TE Kyle Pitts

Pick

Carolina Panthers

Penei Sewell
Oregon · OT
Now that the QB position has been addressed -- for the time being -- the Panthers can look to add the best player on their board. Sewell is a prime talent and would be a tremendous value at eighth overall.

Pick

Denver Broncos

Trey Lance
North Dakota State · QB
The QB carousel goes round and round, and it appears Denver still doesn't have a new one. Lance could go as high as No. 3 or remain available until the middle of Round 1. I think Denver makes a whole lot of sense if he's available here.

Pick

Dallas Cowboys

Patrick Surtain II
Alabama · CB
The first defensive player off the board, and it's a cornerback to a team in desperate need of help there. Surtain would join his former Crimson Tide teammate, Trevon Diggs, in Dan Quinn's defensive backfield.

Pick

New York Giants

Micah Parsons
Penn State · LB
The Giants have been aggressive and proactive in free agency, but they still have holes to fill. As much as giving Daniel Jones another weapon is a priority, Parsons fits what they need on defense and could be an immediate standout in both pass and run defense.

Pick

Philadelphia Eagles

Jaylen Waddle
Alabama · WR
Could the Eagles really go with a WR in the first round a year after taking a WR in the first round? Yes. Waddle's medicals will come in and we'll see where he's at health-wise, but I won't be surprised if Howie Roseman and Co. go ahead and grab the talented wideout (and former Jalen Hurts teammate) to pair with Jalen Reagor.

Pick

Los Angeles Chargers

Christian Darrisaw
Virginia Tech · OT
The Chargers made two big O-line signings in free agency -- C Corey Linsley and OG Matt Feiler -- but I don't think they're necessarily done there. The goal is to protect Justin Herbert at all costs. Darrisaw is a fast-rising prospect who can play across the offensive front.

Pick

Minnesota Vikings

Kwity Paye
Michigan · Edge
Paye improved every year at the college level and can play all three downs. He's as polished as any of the QB hunters in this class. Minnesota needs pass-rush help ASAP.

Pick

Atlanta Falcons
(via Patriots)
TRADE

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
Notre Dame · LB
Yes, they have Deion Jones. But the division rival Bucs have Devin White and Lavonte David, and how's that working out? Owusu-Koramoah is a wild-card prospect -- he's going to be playing at 220-230 pounds -- but he fits the bill for the 2021 LB prototype. Atlanta needs a lot of defensive help.

Pick

Detroit Lions
(via Cardinals)
TRADE

DeVonta Smith
Alabama · WR
If Detroit trades out of No. 7, scoops up some additional picks and still gets Smith, I'd see that as a Day 1 home run. The Alabama product has elite ball skills, won in big spots and is a gamer in every sense of the word. The Lions bid farewell to their top two wideouts in free agency, and Golden Tate a year before that. Insert the Heisman winner.

Pick

Las Vegas Raiders

Greg Newsome II
Northwestern · CB
This could be higher than other mock drafts have Newsome going, but I think teams are higher on the Northwestern CB than the rest of our "draft media" world. He is smart, tough and brings a professionalism to the field. The Raiders will be looking to continue their offseason trend: beefing up the defense.

Pick

Miami Dolphins

Najee Harris
Alabama · RB
The Dolphins had some success with a running back by committee last season, but Harris is a cut above. He'd be joining his college teammate, Tua Tagovailoa, in Miami's quest to win its first AFC East crown since 2008.

Pick

Washington Football Team

Trevon Moehrig
TCU · S
I had Moehrig as a top-10 prospect in the draft before the end of the NFL season. That doesn't mean he'll go in the top 10, but I think he's that talented. A do-it-all safety who can play some CB if you need -- he's smart, talented and would be a fantastic addition to the back end of Ron Rivera's D.

Pick

Chicago Bears

Kadarius Toney
Florida · WR
I think the Bears are going to do everything they can to get more offensive firepower in this draft. Toney is as hard a player to tackle as there is in this draft class. He's tough, he's competitive and he's a perfect complement to (or eventual replacement for) WR1 Allen Robinson.

Pick

Indianapolis Colts

Jaycee Horn
South Carolina · CB
Horn gave up just eight catches on passes thrown in his direction last year, per Pro Football Focus. He has a professional build and competitive spirit. This defense's tone is set by Darius Leonard. Horn would match that fire on the back end.

Pick

Tennessee Titans

Jaelan Phillips
Miami · Edge
Phillips was the standout defensive player at Miami's pro day, but he's really all about upside and potential. He offers burning speed and a desire for excellence -- he wants to be coached. I don't think the Bud Dupree and Denico Autry signings mean the Titans are done upgrading their awful pass rush from a season ago.

Pick

New York Jets

Rondale Moore
Purdue · WR
Moore is a beast and a nightmare to tackle after the catch. He's neither a burner nor a huge physical specimen, but he fits everything the Jets are looking to be. Think Deebo Samuel, with his ability to carry the ball, catch the ball and generally be a DC's headache week in and week out.

Pick

Pittsburgh Steelers

Landon Dickerson
Alabama · C
The ACL tear in the SEC Championship Game will scare off a lot of teams, but if Pittsburgh needs anything, it's a way to immediately address an ailing run game. Dickerson is supposed to be healthy by the start of the season. Will he be anything close to Maurkice Pouncey? Of course not ... yet.

Pick

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jayson Oweh
Penn State · Edge
Urban Meyer knows how critical the pass rush is to building a champion. The Jags finished last season with the second-fewest sacks (18) in the NFL. Oweh is a one-year starter, but ran an absurd 4.36 40-yard dash at his pro day, can pressure the QB and can be an immediate contributor to a defense that can use one.

Pick

Cleveland Browns

Gregory Rousseau
Miami · Edge
Rousseau didn't have the lights-out pro day everyone wanted to see, but he still has the lights-out potential. He's put on a ton of weight since he got to Miami and is just scratching the surface. A 2020 opt-out who is a hard evaluation with just one full year of college football, Rousseau's upside remains enticing, especially in the back end of Round 1.

Pick

Baltimore Ravens

Caleb Farley
Virginia Tech · CB
The Ravens have a great, young defensive backfield. They're not done adding to it. Farley, who is only available at this point because of health concerns, combines 4.4 speed with good NFL size. Wink Martindale and the Ravens' D will find a way to make him shine even brighter than he did in college.

Pick

New Orleans Saints

Zaven Collins
Tulsa · LB
Collins is a 6-foot-5 gazelle at LB, able to cover in space and also get to the QB. The Saints are in a fork-in-the-road period as a franchise, with questions at several areas. Collins is the type of impact player who can help in Year 1.

Pick

Green Bay Packers

Nick Bolton
Missouri · LB
Joe Barry is the new DC and his specialty is LB play. I'm not sure GB's defense didn't miss Blake Martinez roaming the middle in big games last year. Bolton isn't going to jump off the page with eye-popping athleticism, but everyone says he'll be the QB of whichever defense he joins.

Pick

Buffalo Bills

Asante Samuel Jr.
Florida State · CB
Samuel can play multiple positions in the defensive backfield and had an outstanding season in 2020, giving up just 179 yards in eight games, per PFF. He also had an impressive pro day to back up the solid career in Tallahassee.

Pick

Kansas City Chiefs

Terrace Marshall Jr.

Terrace Marshall Jr.
LSU · WR
LSU has been so loaded with talent the past few years that Marshall's name has almost gone under the radar in NFL draft circles. The 6-foot-3, 205-pounder scored 23 touchdowns in 19 games over the past two seasons.

Pick

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Davis Mills

Davis Mills
Stanford · QB
I don't know where Mills goes exactly, but the buzz around the league is that he could be a first-round pick and will most likely be the sixth quarterback selected. I'll throw him to Tampa Bay, where he can learn from a pretty good QB1.
Follow Peter Schrager on Twitter.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting.

For Pete Shrager, the draft seems a little laughable. Slater over Sewell? Najee Harris in the middle first. Devonta Smith lasting to pick #16. And then the Bears pick, Toney?

I love Toney as a player. Completely electric. But he is the opposite of Allan Robinson at 5'11 189 lbs.

With the Bears already having Mooney on a rookie deal, if they go WR I would see them going for a large target, possession type WR if anything.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I would take Jaycee Horn there and basically settle the corner position with him and Johnson for the next 3 years. With Robinson here for another year, WR isn't as pressing a need to spend the 1st on.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting.

For Pete Shrager, the draft seems a little laughable. Slater over Sewell? Najee Harris in the middle first. Devonta Smith lasting to pick #16. And then the Bears pick, Toney?

I love Toney as a player. Completely electric. But he is the opposite of Allan Robinson at 5'11 189 lbs.

With the Bears already having Mooney on a rookie deal, if they go WR I would see them going for a large target, possession type WR if anything.
Toney would replace Miller and play the slot. But yeah, zero chance Smith falls that far. He doesn't get out of the top 10.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Toney would replace Miller and play the slot. But yeah, zero chance Smith falls that far. He doesn't get out of the top 10.
I just don't think Nagy wants to run a lot of 3 WR sets. With Kmet and Graham on the roster and having invested in Williams alongside Montgomery and Cohen, he probably wants to run a lot of 11 personnel. If we're taking a WR in the 1st to play him on 50% of the snaps or sit Mooney down for 50% of the snaps then it seems like a bad pick.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I also dont like the value of Toney or any other slot player at 20 for the Bears. When you factor in the percentage of snaps the slot sees in this offense the value of said player becomes more palatable after round one.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting.

With Miller likely being traded, I see them going after more of a slot WR. Robinson is here for at least 2021. I don't know why they would go large possession WR when that's what he is (just a really good one). He CAN play the slot, but I don't think you want him there full-time. They also really need to upgrade the speed at the position.

Toney is exactly the type of player they need. Fast, slot guy that's a threat for 2-way routes, great after the catch. But I'm not a fan of him at 20. With both Moores, St. Brown, Eskridge, Wallace, and Rodgers; there's plenty of talent to be had after the top 20. Plus, I think Toney's more middle of this pack than at the top of it.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
So 5 qbs are locked in top 10, 2 wr's, 2 OT's, and a TE right? Odds are a couple of those fall out of the top 10. If I were to guess who, I'd think maybe Slater and Smith could fall out of the top 10 a bit. We know some team always reaches for a need or makes a head scratching pick up there

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I dont see Toney as a replacement for Robinson as their frame, position, and playstyles are on very different sides of the "WR spectrum".

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
So 5 qbs are locked in top 10, 2 wr's, 2 OT's, and a TE right? Odds are a couple of those fall out of the top 10. If I were to guess who, I'd think maybe Slater and Smith could fall out of the top 10 a bit. We know some team always reaches for a need or makes a head scratching pick up there
I believe 4 QBs are locked in the top 10. Do agree with the head scratcher pick.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I believe 4 QBs are locked in the top 10. Do agree with the head scratcher pick.
I think it is a poor mock. Those 10 I listed would be who I'd think would be the first 10 picks, but it never plays out that way. Slater before Sewell seems to be a trend in mocks recently, but it is a dumb trend and a team would be making a mistake. I also hate us taking Toney at 20.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Not sure why Toney and Pitts are getting all the 1st round grades as Trask falls in the draft. Trask is the one that made both those guys successful. Toney is a 3rd-4th rd slot receiver with any other QB. HARD PASS

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not sure why Toney and Pitts are getting all the 1st round grades as Trask falls in the draft. Trask is the one that made both those guys successful. Toney is a 3rd-4th rd slot receiver with any other QB. HARD PASS
Questioning Pitts is pretty laughable.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I also dont like the value of Toney or any other slot player at 20 for the Bears. When you factor in the percentage of snaps the slot sees in this offense the value of said player becomes more palatable after round one.
Honestly Terrace Marshall JR would be my choice if I was forced to go WR at 20. He's like a prototypical outside guy. I'd like him and ARob on the outside with Mooney in the slot, but Mooney is more of an outside WR himself and 3 wideout sets don't get a lot of looks in Nagy's offense. For that reason I'd much prefer Darrisaw at 20.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I would take Jaycee Horn there and basically settle the corner position with him and Johnson for the next 3 years. With Robinson here for another year, WR isn't as pressing a need to spend the 1st on.

I agree 100% about taking Horn if he's there. I have J.Horn as my top CB in this entire draft even over Surtain.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly Terrace Marshall JR would be my choice if I was forced to go WR at 20. He's like a prototypical outside guy. I'd like him and ARob on the outside with Mooney in the slot, but Mooney is more of an outside WR himself and 3 wideout sets don't get a lot of looks in Nagy's offense. For that reason I'd much prefer Darrisaw at 20.

Mooney has almost 0 experience in the slot. College or pro. Marshall took over Justin Jefferson's role in the slot for LSU this past season. He'd be a viable option there with some size and speed. And 3 WR sets do get a lot of looks for Nagy. He didn't do it as much in 2020 though because early on, he was obsessed with Demetrius Harris in the multi-TE set, and late because Anthony Miller was largely ineffective and starting to get Kmet on the field with Graham.