PFF: How the Bears control the top of the draft

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Trade back with either SEA or DET, draft Carter and Skoronski. Jones can move to RT. Sign Pocic.

Totally believable, right?

In seriousness, I love Carter, but Skoronski is the best OLman in the draft imo, and despite his length, think he can be a strong d LT for the next decade.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Trade back with either SEA or DET, draft Carter and Skoronski. Jones can move to RT. Sign Pocic.

Totally believable, right?

In seriousness, I love Carter, but Skoronski is the best OLman in the draft imo, and despite his length, think he can be a strong d LT for the next decade.
I don’t see him as a Tackle. He may be an amazing guard, heck I’d think of putting him at C, but no way at LT.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I don’t see him as a Tackle. He may be an amazing guard, heck I’d think of putting him at C, but no way at LT.
Why? Maybe you’re right, but sometimes skill trumps supposed measurables, like arm length. Hasn’t been an issue for Rashawn Slater.

Skoronski has incredible technique and has been an elite T in college.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Why? Maybe you’re right, but sometimes skill trumps supposed measurables, like arm length. Hasn’t been an issue for Rashawn Slater.

Skoronski has incredible technique and has been an elite T in college.
I guess the first reason is context: Braxton Jones is our LT. I see no reason to not see what he NX a do next year. Secondly, yes , measurables play a part. With his size, he may be a good T. We need a C and a RT. I’d prefer the kid out of Tennessee or the kid out of Maryland over him. As far as his technique, with his measurables, put the dude in a phone booth and let him maul motherfuckers, especially at C.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I guess the first reason is context: Braxton Jones is our LT. I see no reason to not see what he NX a do next year. Secondly, yes , measurables play a part. With his size, he may be a good T. We need a C and a RT. I’d prefer the kid out of Tennessee or the kid out of Maryland over him. As far as his technique, with his measurables, put the dude in a phone booth and let him maul motherfuckers, especially at C.
Eh, I am definitely not sold on Braxton Jones. He may develop, but I would wager Skoronski-shorter arms and all-would outperform him at LT right out of the gate. Why not put Jones at RT? Of course it all depends on what they do in FA.

As far as Duncan and the dude from TN, Skoronski is far better then they are, and it’s not even close, imo. Skoronski blocks everything, on an island, at LT. His proficiency is insane.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
eh maybe

they don't seem like generational talents imo

Am I wrong? I mean seriously.
I agree with you. They’re definitely top picks, but they’re not chase young or anything.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Eh, I am definitely not sold on Braxton Jones. He may develop, but I would wager Skoronski-shorter arms and all-would outperform him at LT right out of the gate. Why not put Jones at RT? Of course it all depends on what they do in FA.
I’m sold on Braxton Jones. He is beaten in a place where he can improve — power and anchoring. He is not beat by footwork. So, he’s a keeper.
As far as Duncan and the dude from TN, Skoronski is far better than they are, and it’s not even close, imo. Skoronski blocks everything, on an island, at LT. His proficiency is insane.
I’d rather have those two because they’re second round picks. I really don’t think we need a 1st round pick, this year, on something that isn’t the top offensive weapon, Bijon Robinson, or a pass rusher at DE or DT.

If we draft him, we have basically two positions of need on the OL — C and RT. There is the eventual need at LG, but either Whitehair or Leatherwood can be there. I’m only bringing up LG, because there are some who want Whitehair gone sooner rasher than later. I’d, personally, want one more season out of him.

Anyway, I’d say put him at C and have an amazing IOL.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I’m sold on Braxton Jones. He is beaten in a place where he can improve — power and anchoring. He is not beat by footwork. So, he’s a keeper.

I’d rather have those two because they’re second round picks. I really don’t think we need a 1st round pick, this year, on something that isn’t the top offensive weapon, Bijon Robinson, or a pass rusher at DE or DT.

If we draft him, we have basically two positions of need on the OL — C and RT. There is the eventual need at LG, but either Whitehair or Leatherwood can be there. I’m only bringing up LG, because there are some who want Whitehair gone sooner rasher than later. I’d, personally, want one more season out of him.

Anyway, I’d say put him at C and have an amazing IOL.
I would rather they just sign RT and C in FA.

But I agree, I thing DL is the biggest area of need. Would also be very happy if they got Carter and attacked OL in round 2 or whatever.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

But I agree, I thing DL is the biggest area of need. Would also be very happy if they got Carter and attacked OL in round 2 or whatever.
I’d rather they address DL & OL in FA. We have the cash to sign the top dudes. I’d like for us to use the draft for a talent infusion. I’m in agreement with PFF that if we trade back, we don’t get either Carter or Anderson. They’re getting picked by the teams who would be ahead of in the trade back scenario. If he miraculously falls, sure, grab him.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I’d rather they address DL & OL in FA. We have the cash to sign the top dudes. I’d like for us to use the draft for a talent infusion. I’m in agreement with PFF that if we trade back, we don’t get either Carter or Anderson. They’re getting picked by the teams who would be ahead of in the trade back scenario. If he miraculously falls, sure, grab him.
My ideal scenario is for them to sign Payne, Conklin, and a C like Pocic. Then a trade back. If Carter is already gone, get a guy like Skoronski.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
My ideal scenario is for them to sign Payne, Conklin, and a C like Pocic. Then a trade back. If Carter is already gone, get a guy like Skoronski.
See, that’s where we disagree. I don’t see a need to draft a risk, of any kind, in the 1st. Now, if we sign a C and a RT, we no longer have a need at any position in the OL. Some have a desire to upgrade a position, okay, but, why not go pure attributes in the 2nd? The kid out of Maryland has that in spades.

Poles, albeit, it’s only 1 draft, seems to favor attributes over experience, especially when drafting OL. The kid I’d like to draft to play C is a G at UConn that we could get in 3-4. So, why take a top OL?

I’d prefer the best offensive weapon in the draft or a weapon on D. If Bijon Robinson’s smart, he’s going to do ALL the WR drills and show what he can do as a pass catcher. Brugler is the one who said he can run a full route tree. He would change the nature of how a D plays us as he can be split wide, come out of the backfield, and be, what I think is the first pure offensive weapon to come out. He’s the new breed, and we’ll have him with Fields. Can you imagine that? Fuck!!!

If not Robinson, then a pure weapon, even if he’s offball, as long as he’s fast and can blitz, he can cause a D to scheme for him. We don’t have that dude on D. So either the DE from Army or that kid from Clemson.

greg23

Liked Posts:
"All the teams"

You mean the Rams and donkeys?

That's it

And they play each other in a few weeks

Lose out and guaranteed no worse than the 3rd pick

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
IMO Carter has the potential to be
I agree. Hopefully he can put the injuries behind him, he has nowhere near reached his ceiling and his floor is very high. I've never seen a man that big dip his shoulder like Carter does. Would love to see what that agility looks like as he adds brute strength.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I agree. Hopefully he can put the injuries behind him, he has nowhere near reached his ceiling and his floor is very high. I've never seen a man that big dip his shoulder like Carter does. Would love to see what that agility looks like as he adds brute strength.
I like Carter a lot. If we can sign the DT FA out of Washington and draft him, that’d be amazing. I just prefer trading back and knowing we won’t get a shot at him.

Last edited:

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
See, that’s where we disagree. I don’t see a need to draft a risk, of any kind, in the 1st. Now, if we sign a C and a RT, we no longer have a need at any position in the OL. Some have a desire to upgrade a position, okay, but, why not go pure attributes in the 2nd? The kid out of Maryland has that in spades.

Poles, albeit, it’s only 1 draft, seems to favor attributes over experience, especially when drafting OL. The kid I’d like to draft to play C is a G at UConn that we could get in 3-4. So, why take a top OL?

I’d prefer the best offensive weapon in the draft or a weapon on D. If Bijon Robinson’s smart, he’s going to do ALL the WR drills and show what he can do as a pass catcher. Brugler is the one who said he can run a full route tree. He would change the nature of how a D plays us as he can be split wide, come out of the backfield, and be, what I think is the first pure offensive weapon to come out. He’s the new breed, and we’ll have him with Fields. Can you imagine that? Fuck!!!

If not Robinson, then a pure weapon, even if he’s offball, as long as he’s fast and can blitz, he can cause a D to scheme for him. We don’t have that dude on D. So either the DE from Army or that kid from Clemson.
Of course, it all depends how far they trade back, if at all. I would prefer BPA on either the DL or OL.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Absolutely. They also can use their abundant free agent money to bring in a quality center and either a right or left tackle. Jones would be a starter at either RT or LT. But their most grave need are two "BIG BUDDAHS" like Urlacher and Briggs had a few years ago. Everything in the off season starts and ends with defensive line help.