PFF: Roquan Smith not a first rounder

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
If I’m Poles, I would be trying to trade him asap!

But he’s probably not getting good return in a trade bc new team has to be willing to pay this malcontent!

Roquan’s expectations are ludicrous for today’s NFL!

I would tell Roquan he’s crazy and won’t get that money anywhere and then I would penalize him for every practice and game until he realizes that he’s only worth at most $15-17 million on the high end and even that’s stupid in today’s NFL.

Unfortunately Pace was an idiot and drafted this did with the number 8 pick which is inexcusable for his position!

Can’t blame Roquan for trying but this relationship is shot! I wouldn’t expect Roquan with his history of holding out and coming into camp out of shape to be worth the risk of a new contract personally.

Poles, have some balls and show him who’s Boss.

Free agents that won’t want to come here because of this are wimps and or scared of the coaching expectations. The good ones will respect Poles power!!! People want to be led by men!

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
He was the 8th pick in the draft. If they can't at least match that, there is zero point in trading him. He's worth more on the Bears roster playing at an All Pro level than whatever some meaningless 2nd round or 3rd round pick they'd get in return.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I do agree with that article..............Smith is worth more to the Bears than the trade value PFF is saying. Bears still may end up paying Smith money a little north of Leonard, Warner.
People have this idea that players get paid exactly according to where the consensus opinion ranks them with their position. Kirk Cousins and Matt Stafford were once the highest paid QB's in all of football, yet nobody would have ranked them higher than Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees at that time.

Every time an elite player in his prime is up for an extension, he is likely going to be the next highest paid at his position. That's just how this thing works. Roquan is going to get his money. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get as much, if not more than Leonard, from the Bears or elsewhere.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
He was the 8th pick in the draft. If they can't at least match that, there is zero point in trading him. He's worth more on the Bears roster playing at an All Pro level than whatever some meaningless 2nd round or 3rd round pick they'd get in return.
Lol @ getting an 8th pick or better for roquan and also at calling 2nd and 3rd round picks meaningless

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
It does matter tho, because thats another wasted top 10 pick

There was one common denominator to all those top 10 picks (the guy who averaged 5 receptions/yr for his career, the undersized DE, the hooptie car driver, and the LBer with no position)........Pace.

the recent top 10 winning percentage isn't good to reference but it's evident that our recent GM, Pace, is 1st round challenged.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The thread title is misleading. Smith was in fact a 1st rd pick (8th over all).

If he’s trying to say that the article explains why Smith will not return a 1st round pick in a trade, I would say most fans and NFL front offices agree.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Bears are not competing this year so how is holding onto a malcontent better than trading him for a draft pick that may have a future with the Bears longer term?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The thread title is misleading. Smith was in fact a 1st rd pick (8th over all).

If he’s trying to say that the article explains why Smith will not return a 1st round pick in a trade, I would say most fans and NFL front offices agree.

I wouldn't expect it with him demanding top dollar, holding out twice and not having shown that value on the scoreboard. Talent wise it's not like we drafted Mack or Urlacher who would get good value if they were traded early plus he's proving to be problem.

IMO Smith doesn't want to be here, it just sucks for us that he's destroying his value in the process of trying not to be.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When the top 10 pick is Mitch Tribusky or Kevin White, then yes. That is the way to compete
Just for perspective, what did we get for those? Draft well. Unlikely to get jack for your fails. I remember the Steelers having years of great drafts and not lose a beat when it was next guy up and they'd lose one to FA

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears are not competing this year so how is holding onto a malcontent better than trading him for a draft pick that may have a future with the Bears longer term?
You're not wrong but the issue is the contract. You can't get any value without him agreeing to an extension with the next team. That will require a trade to a team with Quan goggles.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There was one common denominator to all those top 10 picks (the guy who averaged 5 receptions/yr for his career, the undersized DE, the hooptie car driver, and the LBer with no position)........Pace.

the recent top 10 winning percentage isn't good to reference but it's evident that our recent GM, Pace, is 1st round challenged.
Roquan was a fine pick. I preferred him to Edmunds that many here wanted. Mt quote was something like, 'If I take a LB, I just take Roquan.' There's value in taking a sure thing as well. I think my preferred option was to try and trade down a few and take Davenport due to positional need and value. McGlinchey was likely the best choice but our T didn't appear an issue at the time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You're not wrong but the issue is the contract. You can't get any value without him agreeing to an extension with the next team. That will require a trade to a team with Quan goggles.

Like any other elite or near elite player there will be a market for him. The question is at what trade compensation and market value. Bears should have given him permission to seek a trade and then he would have been able to see how other teams valued him. That would also have given Bears a chance to see how their valuation on him compares to what other teams were offering.