Phase 2 offseason program

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Bears apparently had really good attendance at the start of phase 2 of the offseason program with 70 players in attendance including most of the offense.

Sounds like the Broncos issues may have been a blessing in disguise for other teams in that they motivated players to workout at the facilities

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Bears apparently had really good attendance at the start of phase 2 of the offseason program with 70 players in attendance including most of the offense.

Sounds like the Broncos issues may have been a blessing in disguise for other teams in that they motivated players to workout at the facilities
I don't agree with the Broncos on that situation. They cut the guy for working out away from the facility, before any mandatory work outs.... but if a guy shows up out of shape they could use that as a reason to cut him also.....

Unless there was more to the story than what they are letting on about, they should have placed him on IR?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I don't agree with the Broncos on that situation. They cut the guy for working out away from the facility, before any mandatory work outs.... but if a guy shows up out of shape they could use that as a reason to cut him also.....

Unless there was more to the story than what they are letting on about, they should have placed him on IR?
really shitty move and i hope it hurts them in FA.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That’s not true. The Broncos offered alternative programs for James. He did not accept it. He did stuff on his own because NFLPA told them not to.

He is an employee of the team. If I didn’t follow protocols from my employer, I would be fired as well.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd like to think they were an outlier having a lot of players there, but other teams were reporting very high turnouts as well. I think players just don't want to risk having contracts voided
Or... It is because the mesiah has arrived.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mission accomplished. Covid is considered a blessing because the new agreement between Owners and players wouldn’t have passed. The NFL could’ve been mired in a strike for who knows how long.

Now the NFLPLA is crying about the agreement. You can’t have the cake and eat it too.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
That’s not true. The Broncos offered alternative programs for James. He did not accept it. He did stuff on his own because NFLPA told them not to.

He is an employee of the team. If I didn’t follow protocols from my employer, I would be fired as well.
I guess I need to go read up on it, because it still seem like a punk move. He hurt himself working out at home and it was not Mandatory training that he was missing.

NFLPA told who not to do what?

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
Or... It is because the mesiah has arrived.
With all of the negativity about the Bears pre-draft it would have been really interesting to see if those attendance numbers were different had we not landed Fields.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess I need to go read up on it, because it still seem like a punk move. He hurt himself working out at home and it was not Mandatory training that he was missing.

NFLPA told who not to do what?
NFLPA told its members not to go their teams facilities to workout due to Covid saying that the NFL and Teams are not providing a safe environment for the players. Basically bullshit as states and restrictions are lessening due to vaccinations.

James was working out at Broncos facility until the NFLPA statement. James stopped going to teams facility. Team provided alternative workout places and James didn’t listen.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't disagree but most of these contracts have NFI (non football injury) written into them so if these guys get hurt playing soccer, basketball etc. it voids their contract. I don't know what Ju'uan's situation is but I hope he comes back and signs with the Chiefs, Raiders or Chargers and sticks it to them.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I feel the anger should be directed at the union and not the Broncos. The ability for NFL teams to void non-football injuries (injuries that occur outside NFL facilities are considered non-football) was collectively bargained by the union and league last offseason. This means players and their union agreed to this.

Further, when the union encouraged players this spring to stay away from facilities (a move that seems more based on politics or an attempt to leverage a future benefit than science/health since covid numbers were falling in most places) it made no mention of players’ contract risk while working out away from NFL facilities.