Picking apart Hoyer saying he will spend this off season.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Jed said he would be really active in a thoughtful and intelligent way.

To me this implies that he won't be going after some big name FA's, but will be trying to find value for their money and sign 2 starters, a few BP arms and some bats like Marsiniak or key finds like WIsdom and Schwindel.

Pitching wise this makes me think their targets will be Syndergard, Matz, Bundy, Gray type pitchers. People who are good quality starters but not Ace material. Basically if they are still pitching for us in 2024 it won't be a big deal and it means that our pitching infrastructure helped them improve.

I have been banging the table for Rodon and Correa signings but I don't see Hoyer seeing that as thoughtful and intelligent as both moves would carry risk as long term contracts.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Interesting read.

I believe that you have to take it at face value right now.

Short Stop and SP.

Correa I believe is too large of a fish.

Seager might be a better fit.

But price will factor. He could go UI lefty and keep it mobile in the IF also.

Pitching will be key. If you really look at it Jed could trade Kyle. Push the rest into the pen which strengthens his other major issue. Then go after 5 vet pitchers to stabilize.

Think of it this way

Say he goes:

Rodon 5 year deal.
Trades for a younger 2 with control. Maybe Happ plus Hendricks on this
Pax on a 3 year deal.

Then 2 one year flips.

Pen would have Steel, Thompson, Alozay, Mills, Wick, Wieck and maybe a closer on a 3 year deal.

Davis starts in LF on opening day. Heyward starts in RF. Ortega in CF

IF stays the same. Add a UI. If they add a DH then look for a impact bat.

Done deal.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:

To me this implies that he won't be going after some big name FA's, but will be trying to find value for their money and sign 2 starters, a few BP arms and some bats like Marsiniak or key finds like WIsdom and Schwindel.

Pitching wise this makes me think their targets will be Syndergard, Matz, Bundy, Gray type pitchers. People who are good quality starters but not Ace material. Basically if they are still pitching for us in 2024 it won't be a big deal and it means that our pitching infrastructure helped them improve.

I have been banging the table for Rodon and Correa signings but I don't see Hoyer seeing that as thoughtful and intelligent as both moves would carry risk as long term contracts.
Well Jed got us to this point, I am pretty darn confident he can fuck it up even worse...

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Well Jed got us to this point, I am pretty darn confident he can fuck it up even worse...
We are here now because of Theo.

Funny thing is that before the trade deadline this team averaged 4.2 runs per game and since then it is at 4.6 runs per game.

So we got rid of the core for AAA players and we got better at hitting. SHows how bad the core really was.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Next year is pretty simple, concentrate on developing starting pitching. Hire a couple of free agents to give the staff a base and then work on the youth. It really isn't that hard. In two years we can be back up to .500 if we create a strong starting pitching staff. This rag tag crew right now is averaging almost 5 runs a game, that is plenty of offense if the starters are for real.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are here now because of Theo.

Funny thing is that before the trade deadline this team averaged 4.2 runs per game and since then it is at 4.6 runs per game.

So we got rid of the core for AAA players and we got better at hitting. SHows how bad the core really was.
I dont know if the core was really that bad. Bryant and Baez are having nice years. Rizzo is down. Baez has crushed the ball lately. wRC+119 and 3.9fWAR. Sometimes its a change of scenery that is needed

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I dont know if the core was really that bad. Bryant and Baez are having nice years. Rizzo is down. Baez has crushed the ball lately. wRC+119 and 3.9fWAR. Sometimes its a change of scenery that is needed

Ban on grip more likely. Wiffle ball year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Next year is pretty simple, concentrate on developing starting pitching. Hire a couple of free agents to give the staff a base and then work on the youth. It really isn't that hard. In two years we can be back up to .500 if we create a strong starting pitching staff. This rag tag crew right now is averaging almost 5 runs a game, that is plenty of offense if the starters are for real.

I'm good with that.

I see Jed keeping it simple.

Add 2 vet starters.

Push 2 arms to the pen and let the other fight to keep his gig.

Add a LH bat to balance the line up.

Add a cheap closer.

Flip in July.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yeah I am thinking they avoid anyone that gets a QO, so they don't lose draft capital.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Sooo Rodon is too risky? But syndergaard, Matz, and bundy aren’t? Interesting take

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well Hoyer pretty much said Mad is locked in at 2B. Hoerner will be a floater. His injury track record is keeping him from locking down a spot.

So that means SS market will be pursued.

Ortega, Wisdom and Schwindel will be on the team. Not locked in position wise. I'm guessing that Frank is the closest to a lock of the 3.

He was gushing about Davis. I would expect a cup of Joe and on the team.

Nothing on Happ and Heyward.

So there are more questions than answers going into the winter meeting. I would expect a starting SS to be the main target. He might go 2nd tier here and target Simmons. Play up the D save some cash and give Hoerner more playing time.

3B is not a lock for Wisdom. The market is meh. This is a toss up.

Davis pending in the first half. This could push Jed to eat Jason's deal or pay 100% and get Jason to wave for a trade to a desired location for a prospect.

So I see this as Jed has 2 starters. 1-2 bats. And 1-2 arms with 60-80M to spend.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sooo Rodon is too risky? But syndergaard, Matz, and bundy aren’t? Interesting take
It is a weird take for sure.

Rodon is a risk but so are the rest.

I see guys like Max and Shaw sticking with teams in the now.

Rodon on the other hand I see as a guy looking for a term for security. Jed is looking at a term guy also going in.

So I just think that Jed will at least kick the tires on this one.

Another thought that I had last night was Bieber. He has Arb 1-3 ahead of him. This is a guy that I would pack up Marquez, Amaya and a pick of a 50 grade prospect.

Bieber, Rodon, Hendricks, Steel, Mills. Sign a closer. Push Alzolay to set up with Wick. Simmons starting SS. 3B It would be tempting to target Brad Miller. Adds a LH bat and pushes Wisdom into reserve where his strike outs are minimal and he can be pushed into situations that a HR is a great solution.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Rodon will likely cost more and receive a QO. These guys will cost less and not also get a QO.

that’s just speculation on your part

matz has won 13 games with a sub 4 ERA…why wouldn’t he get offered a QO?

Syndergaard is still under 30 years old with a career 3.30 ERA. Pretty sure he will garner plenty of interest with or without a QO

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
that’s just speculation on your part

matz has won 13 games with a sub 4 ERA…why wouldn’t he get offered a QO?

Syndergaard is still under 30 years old with a career 3.30 ERA. Pretty sure he will garner plenty of interest with or without a QO
The point being here is that of the guys listed, you go after the one that doesn't get a QO, like I said in my original post.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The point being here is that of the guys listed, you go after the one that doesn't get a QO, like I said in my original post.

that’s your original post. Nowhere did you mention only going after non QO guys, you mentioned that later on in a later post

so basically bundy is the only for sure option you gave, as he’s the only one that’s extremely likely to not get a QO. The other like 4 or 5 guys you named were pretty pointless then? Got it

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
that’s your original post. Nowhere did you mention only going after non QO guys, you mentioned that later on in a later post

so basically bundy is the only for sure option you gave, as he’s the only one that’s extremely likely to not get a QO. The other like 4 or 5 guys you named were pretty pointless then? Got it
Yes I didn't specifically state it in the OP, but you know I still said it, lol.
AS for QO's they aren't as prevalent as you think they are. Last year only 6 people received them, plus there are strict rules on who is eligible.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Here is who is eligible for 2022:

from my list Syndegard and Gray are listed as unlikely and Matz, Bundy don't appear to be eligible.....

So my list still stands. Move on please.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes I didn't specifically state it in the OP, but you know I still said it, lol.
AS for QO's they aren't as prevalent as you think they are. Last year only 6 people received them, plus there are strict rules on who is eligible.

Here is who is eligible for 2022:

from my list Syndegard and Gray are listed as unlikely and Matz, Bundy don't appear to be eligible.....

So my list still stands. Move on please.

you still didn’t say it in the OP as you claimed. That’s all I was pointing out

and mmmmk…you found an article that doesn’t think syndergaard will get a QO. I can find a bunch that do think he will.

again, why wouldn’t the Mets give him the QO? He’s under 30, has a career 3.30 ERA. Teams are going to be lining up to sign him without a QO, so why wouldn’t the Mets slap it on him and get draft capital for him? Worst case scenario nobody bites and they have him on a 1 year deal

after seeing matz and wheeler move on after injuries and find big success…the Mets are unlikely to make the same mistake with Thor…who also is a major fan favorite. Another reason to keep him around if you’re the Mets

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I pointed it out because you constantly nitpick things. People that do that are trolls and toxic for discussion boards. Going on block now.