Picking Players with a Mean Streak

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just thinking of average players and busts who seem to have no mean streak in them.

Kevin White
Burton
Shaheen
Floyd
Prince Amukamara?
James Daniels (Kyle Long said he was "the quietest guy around". Skilled but "too quiet to succeed at center")

These guys and more were set up to thrive, and have skill, but lack the "it" factor. Call them soft perhaps (while insulting), but if the shoe fits??

Then you have the Alphas with an obvious mean streak. I don't mean asshole, dirty, or must be Neanderthal type; just tough as nails & mean on the field. THOSE are who a team needs to bring in & keep.

There are some players with tons of potential, but just don't have a toughness to them. Quiet receivers may be the exception.

Kelce, Kittle, & Gronk are the 3 best TEs I can think of...all have a tough mean streak. Lots of TEs don't. Esp. the ones who aren't known for blocking.

Often soft-spoken is a recognizable trait that comes with this lack of mean, but there are exceptions...HICKS is sounds like a teddy bear, but has an obvious on-field mean as hell streak. Can you say the same for those mentioned? Seems like a prerequisite for "winners" or "football players".

IMO a GM should pass on any player with "potential" if they don't show this trait. Other examples?

Last edited:

D.J. Moore

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Does this look like a player that can thrive under adversity?
Yes

maxresdefault.jpg

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm totally with you.

Remember when Mixon punched that chick in the face? That was just him giving you a taste of that same 'mean streak' that's making him a great NFL RB!

Better yet, players with that same 'mean streak' typically fall in the draft because other wussy teams consider that 'off fiend issues'.

I say the crazier the better. Look how good Aaron Hernandez was before he eventually went to jail for murdering Odin Lloyd and eventually took his own life. He was what a 4th rounder? That level of production from a 4th? 3 solid seasons of production. Sure he never played after that, but how many soft 4th rounders only get 3 completely uneventful seasons?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm totally with you.

Remember when Mixon punched that chick in the face? That was just him giving you a taste of that same 'mean streak' that's making him a great NFL RB!

Better yet, players with that same 'mean streak' typically fall in the draft because other wussy teams consider that 'off fiend issues'.

I say the crazier the better. Look how good Aaron Hernandez was before he eventually went to jail for murdering Odin Lloyd and eventually took his own life. He was what a 4th rounder? That level of production from a 4th? 3 solid seasons of production. Sure he never played after that, but how many soft 4th rounders only get 3 completely uneventful seasons?

^ Where the hell do you assume this is what I meant by being mean!? I said zero about off-field and clearly mentioned "I DON'T MEAN ASSHOLE, DIRTY TYPE".

Sarcasm fail at best. Bad trolling at worse.

Annnd right off the bat JACK-Off tries making this into another Mitch thread? ?‍♂️

---------------------------------------------
Anyway...
My point is to discuss avoiding FA's and draft options who don't have it & discuss who we think does/doesn't.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I don't think every player or position needs to have a mean streak, but I do think we lack toughness on the O-Line. Kyle Long was our bully for a few years, but seemed mentally out of it last season until he went on IR. Massie was huge, but seemed chill. Leno, our LT, may be the softest on the line yet plays the most important position. I'll cut James some slack. Whitehair may be our toughest and most consistent.

All in all, I do think that type of aggression, meanness, and grit is something to highly value in this coming offseason.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
^ Where the hell do you assume this is what I meant by being mean!? I said zero about off-field and clearly mentioned "I DON'T MEAN ASSHOLE, DIRTY TYPE".

Sarcasm fail at best. Bad trolling at worse.

Annnd right off the bat JACK-Off tries making this into another Mitch thread? ?‍♂️

---------------------------------------------
Anyway...
My point is to discuss avoiding FA's and draft options who don't have it & discuss who we think does/doesn't.

giphy.gif

To your point, yes it's good to draft aggressive players, but like my examples were alluding too it's a slippery slope. Here's a less dark version of point I'm trying to make:

Last edited:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Everyone gets a participation trophy in Nagy's locker room.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
How about they just try to get guys who are good at playing football

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Bill Parcells when discussing the evaluation of young players once famously said, "If they don't bite when they're puppies, they usually won't bite."