Pizza

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
legit or not and any tips?

Gonna +1 on that video being a legit recipe.

Random pizza making tips for you and anyone else bothering to read this.....

• If you have the time and foresight, cold fermenting your raw pizza dough is the tits. You do everything you do in that video to make your dough, but after the two hour rise time, you form the dough back into a tight ball and put it right back into a lightly greased bowl covered in plastic wrap and throw it in your fridge for 80 hours. Take it out and let it come somewhat back to room temperature (about 2 hours). Makes the dough super tender to work with and develops this superior yeasty funk to it's taste that you'll never get with a quick rise.

• Unless you are sporting your own wood fire brick oven, buy a pizza stone. It's the only way to get a really crispy crust and even makes cheap frozen pizzas taste ten times better.

• It was pointed out in the video, but I will stress it again...WHOLE MILK MOZZARELLA. This is not the time to cheap out on the "low moisture" brick of Kraft that was on sale this week at your local chain supermarket and the ball of the fresh stuff is more for your classic margherita style.

• Four words: King Arthur Bread Flour. People are going to talk all day about "00" and that's awesome pizza flour, but if you are still lacking the wood fire brick oven and are not doing a classic margherita style....skip it and buy the bread flour. It's almost half the price and makes a better thin crust, IMO.

• You can make your sauce from scratch or you can buy a jar at the store. No matter which route you go, to really kick up the flavor...blend in a spoonful of anchovy paste!

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gonna +1 on that video being a legit recipe.

Random pizza making tips for you and anyone else bothering to read this.....

• If you have the time and foresight, cold fermenting your raw pizza dough is the tits. You do everything you do in that video to make your dough, but after the two hour rise time, you form the dough back into a tight ball and put it right back into a lightly greased bowl covered in plastic wrap and throw it in your fridge for 80 hours. Take it out and let it come somewhat back to room temperature (about 2 hours). Makes the dough super tender to work with and develops this superior yeasty funk to it's taste that you'll never get with a quick rise.

• Unless you are sporting your own wood fire brick oven, buy a pizza stone. It's the only way to get a really crispy crust and even makes cheap frozen pizzas taste ten times better.

• It was pointed out in the video, but I will stress it again...WHOLE MILK MOZZARELLA. This is not the time to cheap out on the "low moisture" brick of Kraft that was on sale this week at your local chain supermarket and the ball of the fresh stuff is more for your classic margherita style.

• Four words: King Arthur Bread Flour. People are going to talk all day about "00" and that's awesome pizza flour, but if you are still lacking the wood fire brick oven and are not doing a classic margherita style....skip it and buy the bread flour. It's almost half the price and makes a better thin crust, IMO.

• You can make your sauce from scratch or you can buy a jar at the store. No matter which route you go, to really kick up the flavor...blend in a spoonful of anchovy paste!
Totes cosign

One note on tavern style, it's no ferment and only apf works. Need a stone and at least 500 degree oven and it's perfect.

Also have to say, you ferment that dough for a few days, and get a propane patio pizza oven, you have the best pizza you can ever get with that rig, but it's work. Labor of love.

Love the anchovie tip. If I run out I dash some fish sauce in it. Liquid anchovies!

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I don’t know what the best pizza in Chicago is but my favorite is Vito and Nicks…..I stay away from Lou Malnatis
Staying away from Lou's just means you are staying away from the very best deep dish there is.....

you do you though.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I prefer Pizza Hut. All that rich, gooey sauce that's under the cheese but over da bread! And then to top it off,they keep dumping more of that savory slime all over the top in a saucy overload.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Staying away from Lou's just means you are staying away from the very best deep dish there is.....

you do you though.
Oh yeah…I’ll stay away from it alright. There is nothing Lou can do to get me to eat his pizza ever again.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah…I’ll stay away from it alright. There is nothing Lou can do to get me to eat his pizza ever again.

Lou Malnati’s Sold to Investment Firm: Report

NORTHBROOK, IL — While the Malnati family is expected to retain a stake in the company, legendary Chicago deep-dish pizza chain Lou Malnati's has a new owner. The Northbrook-based business has been sold to the private investment firm Meritage Group, reports Bloomberg News.
WLS-TV is reporting that the Malnati family is retaining ownership of the business. The sale is of a partial ownership stake owned by BDT Capital. Patch has reached out to Lou Malnati's for this story.

Lou Malnati's, founded in 1971 in Lincolnwood, has nearly 60 locations in the Chicagoland area, as well as several in Arizona, Wisconsin and Indiana.
Bloomberg News is reporting that Meritage is buying the company from the chain's current owners, including BDT Capital Partners. The purchase price and other details of the transaction have not been released. The enterprise value of Lou Malnati's is valued at more than $500 million, according to the report.

90sBullsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Kansas City Royals
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Kansas City Chiefs
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Northern Iowa Panthers
Went to Lou's for the first time this past summer on a visit, and was disappointed. Looking forward to Vito and Nick's (as a few have mentioned here) the next time I'm in town.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Went to Lou's for the first time this past summer on a visit, and was disappointed. Looking forward to Nick's or Vito's (as a few have mentioned here) the next time I'm in town.
Lou’s is the worst…..

I love Vito and Nicks and would high recommend it to anyone who loves thin crust.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lou’s is the worst

I had Lou's over the summer and was also disappointed. It's not the quality pie it was on my last visit 4 or 5 years ago.

Maybe it was just that location, but I can't recommend them the way I used to. Gino's East is a much better option at this point.

Giordano's is still the worst IMO.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I had Lou's over the summer and was also disappointed. It's not the quality pie it was on my last visit 4 or 5 years ago.

Maybe it was just that location, but I can't recommend them the way I used to. Gino's East is a much better option at this point.

Giordanos is pretty bad as well. I remember Gino’s being decent but it’s been like forever since I’ve been there.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If you do something great you should never stray from that.

as an aside I remember when Buffalo Wild Wings had some of the shittiest wings I had ever seen. Small and crappy. Why would you ever be a wing joint or a pizza joint and give up what you were known for? It just doesnt make sense.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you do something great you should never stray from that.

as an aside I remember when Buffalo Wild Wings had some of the shittiest wings I had ever seen. Small and crappy. Why would you ever be a wing joint or a pizza joint and give up what you were known for? It just doesnt make sense.
Buffalo Wild Wings.
3 shitty hockey teams in one shitty restaurant.
Rawr!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think what you really want is a good, hearty keto vegan pizza.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
For a change of taste try "Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders" on Clark street.. They make individual pizzas in a bowl with the crust on top similar to a pot pie...Then, when they serve it they turn the bowl over on your plate and the crust is then on the bottom...It's really good.

Other than that, you cant go wrong with Vito and Nicks for thin crust

Granada

Liked Posts:

Exactly.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my opinion, deep dish, “Chicago style” is “meh” at best. But that aside, Lou M. is the most consistent.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Jenos Pizza Rolls are decent in a pinch if no Chicago style pizza can be had.