90sBullsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Kansas City Royals
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Kansas City Chiefs
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Northern Iowa Panthers
I don't watch the NBA anywhere near as closely as I did during the Jordan era, or even as closely as during the early to mid 2000s, but I am just astounded by the number of flat-out blowouts in playoff basketball in today's NBA. What do you guys think is the reason for this? Lack of parity in talent? Lack of consistency by teams on the offensive or defensive end? Having watched the battles of the 90s that often went down to the last minute if not the last possession, this just isn't entertaining at all. Thoughts?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps one team just adjusting really well to the other and then they flip flop results. Parity is as good as it's ever been in the league imo

90sBullsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Kansas City Royals
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Kansas City Chiefs
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Northern Iowa Panthers
That's a great point. Teams are so reliant on the three that a bad night can become horrendous in a hurry, especially if the other team is hitting.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Offense is more advanced than defense.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
All I know is it hasn’t been a good product. Completely underwhelming for playoff basketball

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was thinking something similar a few days ago. I haven't watched every game of these playoffs, but it seems like every game I do watch is a blowout haha.

I think what @SilenceS said has a lot of truth to it. Since teams shoot a shit of 3s these days, if one team is cold, they're pretty much dead. Though, that isn't true in every case. Last night was a good example of it. The Celtics only hit 8 and shot less than 30% from 3 and they blew Miami out.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I was thinking something similar a few days ago. I haven't watched every game of these playoffs, but it seems like every game I do watch is a blowout haha.

I think what @SilenceS said has a lot of truth to it. Since teams shoot a shit of 3s these days, if one team is cold, they're pretty much dead. Though, that isn't true in every case. Last night was a good example of it. The Celtics only hit 8 and shot less than 30% from 3 and they blew Miami out.
Yeah, last nights game was all about bostons defense. To win a game by 20 in which you shoot under 40% and under 30% from 3, is really tough to do today

miami had ZERO starters reach double figure points, that’s insane

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Def not all of it but it’s just runs in basketball. Celtics kept on the pressure and Heat couldn’t score to stop it. If the Celtics hit their 3a, they up over 40 .

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Miami couldn't hit water from the middle of the ocean last night. Boston's defense was great and I guess it turned into Miami missing everything they put up. Only Oladipo and garbage time Duncan Robinson looked competent for Miami. Al Horford coming up huge defensively for Boston this year

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The most dramatic moment of the playoffs…a roof leak…man….

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Miami couldn't hit water from the middle of the ocean last night. Boston's defense was great and I guess it turned into Miami missing everything they put up. Only Oladipo and garbage time Duncan Robinson looked competent for Miami. Al Horford coming up huge defensively for Boston this year
Yep, horford and Williams are playing amazing defense for the Celtics right now. Bulls need to find guys like that, guys whose numbers don’t jump out as anything amazing, but they bring defense, toughness, and energy. It’s not all just about getting the guys that can score the most points

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep, horford and Williams are playing amazing defense for the Celtics right now. Bulls need to find guys like that, guys whose numbers don’t jump out as anything amazing, but they bring defense, toughness, and energy. It’s not all just about getting the guys that can score the most points
Frankly, the Bulls don't even really need another 20ppg scorer, they need players to fill roles like hit 3s consistently and/or play impactful defense. That's why personally I'm fine with the Bulls being linked to someone like Matisse Thybulle because even though his shooting is all over the place he's still an all defensive team caliber defender, which is still very helpful for this team. Finding a big man like Horford would probably be even better given the lack of depth in the frontcourt currently.