Poles A+++

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Coming out of the Pace era where he strapped this team financially and left a roster void of much talent, I'll have to give Poles an A+++ grade for getting in the position they are in. Coming into this year, I think we all knew it would be a really bad year. Poles job in year 1 was to clear as much cap as possible getting rid of aging non motivated vets. Goodbye Mack, Hicks, Quinn, Foles. Also, they have an opportunity for the 1 or 2 pick. Great tank job! This now allows the Chicago Bears to go into free agency with 100 million in cap space and have created a good scenario to trade down and get a nice youth infusion. Now if you believe Poles knows how to evaluate talent is and create a winning organization is another topic, but give the man his credit in year 1. He did exactly what needed to be done.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but he decimated the team talent and created so many holes that even if he was a good talent evaluator, he couldn't fill them all.

It also looks like there won't be much quality talent available in free agency. Well, maybe we can bring Roquan back.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The tear down was absolutely necessary in order to win long term.

But the question is exactly like what the OP suggested. Can he pick the right players? This remains to be seen and I have serious doubts looking at the free agents that he brought in this year.

Having said that, he should get sort of a pass bc he needed to sign so many players on a shoe string budget. He went for high upside talent type guys who hadn’t reached their expected potential for cheap and short contracts.

I don’t disagree with what he tried to do but literally none of them have panned out to what he had hoped.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The tear down was absolutely necessary in order to win long term.

But the question is exactly like what the OP suggested. Can he pick the right players? This remains to be seen and I have serious doubts looking at the free agents that he brought in this year.

Having said that, he should get sort of a pass bc he needed to sign so many players on a shoe string budget. He went for high upside talent type guys who hadn’t reached their expected potential for cheap and short contracts.

I don’t disagree with what he tried to do but literally none of them have panned out to what he had hoped.
I don't know the money involved but I don't think the FAs cost much. the Claypool trade cost a lot, but maybe with another offseason working out he'll become a solid contributor. the problem is the Bears have no #1, they're all "solid contributors" at best. it's a total shitshow. fix the offensive line, maybe they'll be able to get open more then. who knows.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coming out of the Pace era where he strapped this team financially and left a roster void of much talent, I'll have to give Poles an A+++ grade for getting in the position they are in. Coming into this year, I think we all knew it would be a really bad year. Poles job in year 1 was to clear as much cap as possible getting rid of aging non motivated vets. Goodbye Mack, Hicks, Quinn, Foles. Also, they have an opportunity for the 1 or 2 pick. Great tank job! This now allows the Chicago Bears to go into free agency with 100 million in cap space and have created a good scenario to trade down and get a nice youth infusion. Now if you believe Poles knows how to evaluate talent is and create a winning organization is another topic, but give the man his credit in year 1. He did exactly what needed to be done.
Agree.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but he decimated the team talent and created so many holes that even if he was a good talent evaluator, he couldn't fill them all.

It also looks like there won't be much quality talent available in free agency. Well, maybe we can bring Roquan back.
Do you think he should’ve kept up Foles, Mack and Quinn so we didn’t have those holes next year? ?

napo55

Liked Posts:
Do you think he should’ve kept up Foles, Mack and Quinn so we didn’t have those holes next year? ?

I think he should have kept Roquan Smith. There is now another huge hole to fill. I'm ok with letting Foles and Quinn go and I probably would have kept Mack so as to not totally decimate the defense. Sure, we freed up money, but it appears doubtful that we can find quality players in free agency to spend the $100 milion on.

Most importantly, I would have prioritized support for Justin Fields in the draft and free agency.

Last edited:

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Well they just signed St Brown to a 1 year extension so I'm gonna rethink this shit ?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Lol decimated the team of talent. Yes 6-11 was much better. Please more 6-11 seasons!

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I think he should have kept Roquan Smith. There is now another huge hole to fill. I'm ok with letting Foles and Quinn go and I probably would have kept Mack so as to not totally decimate the defense. Sure, we freed up money, but it appears doubtful that we can find quality players in free agency to spend the $100 milion on.

Most importantly, I would have prioritized support for Roquan Smith in the draft and free agency.
Yes. Prioritize off ball LB. Very much a winning strategy

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
Take some pluses away for Claypool. I get the reach, but could have really used that pick on a starter quality offensive lineman. Braxton Jones is an overrated addition, he makes for a nice cheap backup tackle, nothing more. Using every pick after on offensive lineman pretty much proved to be a big nothing. You're unlikely to land on any picks 5th round and later, but more likely at other positions to get something viable

chuck3671

Liked Posts:
Take some pluses away for Claypool. I get the reach, but could have really used that pick on a starter quality offensive lineman. Braxton Jones is an overrated addition, he makes for a nice cheap backup tackle, nothing more. Using every pick after on offensive lineman pretty much proved to be a big nothing. You're unlikely to land on any picks 5th round and later, but more likely at other positions to get something viable
In all fairness, based on PFF grades, he was the top rated rookie tackle of the class. He outplayed a number of first round picks. The Detroit game was horrible but he did well compared to his peers.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The tear down was the easy part. Any GM could have tanked this roster. No need to pat him on the back.
I’m so sick of people praising Poles for this.

I think the only reason people are still doing it is because he has yet to do anything else to help besides adding a promising young safety.

Poles was hoping some of his one year “prove-it” deal guys would improve under Flus and literally no one did. Not Morrow. Not Pringle. Not Lucas. Nobody.

A+++!!

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:

I think the only reason people are still doing it is because he has yet to do anything else to help besides adding a promising young safety.

Poles was hoping some of his one year “prove-it” deal guys would improve under Flus and literally no one did. Not Morrow. Not Pringle. Not Lucas. Nobody.

A+++!!
Disagree. Those players were signed to fill roster holes. This was a tank year from day 1.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
It's easy to destroy, much harder to build.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

A+++!!
yup

teams sign 1 year deal players to find elite starter level players

:what: