Poles A+++

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Coming out of the Pace era where he strapped this team financially and left a roster void of much talent, I'll have to give Poles an A+++ grade for getting in the position they are in. Coming into this year, I think we all knew it would be a really bad year. Poles job in year 1 was to clear as much cap as possible getting rid of aging non motivated vets. Goodbye Mack, Hicks, Quinn, Foles. Also, they have an opportunity for the 1 or 2 pick. Great tank job! This now allows the Chicago Bears to go into free agency with 100 million in cap space and have created a good scenario to trade down and get a nice youth infusion. Now if you believe Poles knows how to evaluate talent is and create a winning organization is another topic, but give the man his credit in year 1. He did exactly what needed to be done.
Well said, I agree. As to evaluating talent I think he did a great job with last years draft all things considered.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
The motto for this year was, "Take a step back this year so we can take two steps forward next year. " The 2022 Bears have been a brutal watch but it will be more tolerable if the arrow is pointing up on the Bears next year. Poles needs to have an A+ draft in the spring. I do worry about his ability to evaluate talent because most of his draft picks from 2022 haven't made much of an impact.

At least the 2023 draft will be exciting for Bears fans with so many possibilities on how the Bears will proceed.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
In all fairness, based on PFF grades, he was the top rated rookie tackle of the class. He outplayed a number of first round picks. The Detroit game was horrible but he did well compared to his peers.
Braxton will be fine, he had a bad game but as you state he has better rating stats than any other rookie 1st round or not.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The motto for this year was, "Take a step back this year so we can take two steps forward next year. " The 2022 Bears have been a brutal watch but it will be more tolerable if the arrow is pointing up on the Bears next year. Poles needs to have an A+ draft in the spring. I do worry about his ability to evaluate talent because most of his draft picks from 2022 haven't made much of an impact.

At least the 2023 draft will be exciting for Bears fans with so many possibilities on how the Bears will proceed.
Wow you grade on a hard curve - no 1st round pick, Brisker, Gordon, Jones, Sanborn.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:

Funny thing is, there were many games they could have won. I think the needle is pointing up finally and I've been a Bears fan since I was 5 years old. I'm about to turn 45 lol. Haven't been too optimistic many times.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wow you grade on a hard curve - no 1st round pick, Brisker, Gordon, Jones, Sanborn.
Gill too. It was a decent draft overall. Better than most of Pace’s garbage and definitely better than anything Emery put together

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Sorry, but he decimated the team talent and created so many holes that even if he was a good talent evaluator, he couldn't fill them all.

It also looks like there won't be much quality talent available in free agency. Well, maybe we can bring Roquan back.

This is as it always was a multiseason project. The Bears should compete in 2024.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m cautiously optimistic about Poles, but I think an A+ is far too generous. I’m being critical here, but isn’t that the point of grading? I’d probably give him a B-/C+ and here’s why:

Mack and Quan trades were B
Quinn was traded late and at a low value but Philly got nothing out of him so I’ll give a C+
Claypool is a C (god I hope an off-season helps this dude lol)
Braxton Jones is a B: starter from a late round pick
Sanborn is an A-
Brisker is a B: he’s decent but has had some tackling and assignment issues
Gordon is a B-: he was bad, bad at first and now has improved. I’m hopeful for his future as he’s a sure tackler, average in coverage, and has had some nice picks
Velus is a D
Dominique Robinson is a C
Ebner is meh C-
Gill is an A- because he’s a punter and I won’t give a punter greater than an A-

FA acquisitions:
St. Brown: C+
Pettis: D+
Marquis
OL (Lucas Patrick, Reiff, Bars, etc): D-
DL (Watts, Blackson, the dude that didn’t pass a physical lol): D-
LBs (Morrow, etc): C+
CB/S (DHC, Blackwell, borders): C

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The plan for next year is tank 2.0 for Marvin Harrison Jr.

Just kidding but just Bears bad luck for the draft! We have a number 2 this year and don’t need a QB or WR.

Thems the breaks, this is where you really need a good GM and it’s yet to seen if Poles is up to the task.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Coming out of the Pace era where he strapped this team financially and left a roster void of much talent, I'll have to give Poles an A+++ grade for getting in the position they are in. Coming into this year, I think we all knew it would be a really bad year. Poles job in year 1 was to clear as much cap as possible getting rid of aging non motivated vets. Goodbye Mack, Hicks, Quinn, Foles. Also, they have an opportunity for the 1 or 2 pick. Great tank job! This now allows the Chicago Bears to go into free agency with 100 million in cap space and have created a good scenario to trade down and get a nice youth infusion. Now if you believe Poles knows how to evaluate talent is and create a winning organization is another topic, but give the man his credit in year 1. He did exactly what needed to be done.

You aren't wrong. However, some bitches on here think he's a failure because they have no patience for a rebuild.

There's going to be a huge influx of talent this coming offseason.

Now don't get me wrong - when I say an influx of talent, I am not talking about "game-breaking players" or "game-changing free agents".

I am talking about "competent NFL starters and backups".

Right now, the Bears have just a smattering of those, and the rest of the guys are either projects still developing or guys who would be on the practice squad on other teams. Which is why just getting a bunch of "ok" players in the second and third waves of free agency is actually a SIGNIFICANT upgrade for the Bears.

Poles did the first part right, despite some fan bitching. He ripped the Band-Aid off, took his lumps this year, and cleared all that cap space.

Now he really has 2 more hurdles to clear before proving himself a good GM.

First - he needs to do what I said above. Other than maybe one or two very good Free Agents who can make an immediate impact (looking at you, Payne), you absolutely must use most of the cap space to go for quantity over quality, grabbing guys on team-friendly 2-3 years deals that doesn't hurt the team if you move on from them after a year. What this does is in a league of parity, guarantee you to at least be 7-10 to 9-8 if you do this right. Not your ultimate destination, but you aren't going to get there by way of free agents - this is just a measure to buy time while you replace these guys over the next 3 years in the draft, unless you catch lightning in a bottle and one of these guys ends up being a REALLY good fit.

Second - this is the obvious part, but its also where the Bears have been hurting for a long damn time now - Poles needs to pull at least 3 starters from every draft - at least one of them a potential multi-time pro-bowler, and the other 2 with upsides that could potentially make them better than the free agent you just signed. THIS is how you go from 7-10 to 9-8 or even 10-7 in year two.

IF Poles is the GM we hope he is, he will pull this off this offseason. The one wildcard to this is if the Bears swing a massive deal for the #2 pick. If they can poach another team's starters in addition to draft picks, it will greatly accelerate things.

Now, having said all that.....

The Bears will still be lucky to win a playoff game next year. There's going to be significant depth issues even with the plan I mentioned with regards to a playoff roster. I expect the Bears to be "In the Hunt" all year IF Poles executes perfectly the 2 things I mentioned above. They may make it as a bottom seed, they may just miss the playoffs, but I expect them to be in the conversation late thanks to league parity.

Of course, if Fields continues to ascend, that also will change things. Fields had 7 games where the Bears lost by one TD. Better Receivers and a better line, or a better defense and the Bears win some of those games. And if Fields goes HAM, who knows?

Point is, as long as Poles can execute, next season should be a fun watch, and it should be a thrill ride for those who love shitting on the pessimists on CCS....

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
With Fields as QB you just need to get him into the playoffs and then anything could potentially happen as he has the talent to beat anybody by taking over the game either running the ball, throwing it or both.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
This thread is shit. Poles is at least A++++ to anyone that truly knows football.