Poles Grade so far???

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Before I respond, will you admit I am right if I provide players that were available in free agency that would be an upgrade over our current roster?
In terms of winning an extra game or two this year? Or actually building a future contender?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I realize people are used to mediocrity with this team and having a GM come in and focus on improving the offense instead of defense is unknown to most bears fan.

But believe it or not, it’s possible. And just because the person we’re talking about is the new GM of your favorite football team (I’m just assuming here), doesn’t mean he is immune from deserved criticism.
Just admit it. You wanted nothing but offense and wanted short term fixes, and when the professional whose job is on the line knew to do it differently, you didn't like it.

MMQB. He "should have done this" or "should have done that" with no specifics, no context for the $ involved, the appeal of a 5 win team to FA's, etc.

A GM rebuilding has to look at things long-term. What does the roster look like for a contending team, and which pieces of THAT roster can I get THIS offseason.

Not, "Can I improve a position from a guy who rates a 4 on a scale of 10 to a guy who rates a 6?"

It's his job to get pieces that will be part of a winning team. Not slightly better. And no GM rebuilding a team should subscribe to the fan theory of "I have to get THIS position FIRST", when he has multiple holes to fill.

That method puts you on a treadmill. Or the unemployment line.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
It is really too early to tell. Coach Nagy was so insidiously bad, our team was in such poor shape for the present and the future. I said months ago, that we might have a better record this year than last, because Coach Nagy is gone. I like that Poles has a plan to build through the draft and that he is not just signing big names in desperation to win now. If I was right, earlier, that we would win more games with no changes in talent and without Coach Nagy, then we are already ahead of the game going into next year. We will have money to spend and a decent amount of draft pics. Victory over some pretty good teams this year says something. We are on our way out of the basement with Poles' new talent and Coach Eberflus over Coach Nagy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You realize a lot of the OLmen that were signed in early free agency have had trouble producing right?

A good thread would be an examination of last years top free agents that Bears fans wanted, and how they’re doing with their new teams.

Alas I don’t make good threads.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A good thread would be an examination of last years top free agents that Bears fans wanted, and how they’re doing with their new teams.

Alas I don’t make good threads.
It’s always a crap shoot. Packers signed 2 bums last year and they went All-Pro or Pro-Bowl. LB Campbell & DB Butler.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Incomplete, trending towards D.

Decided to rebuild. Is rebuilding.

Elected to light the offense on fire and thus a year of Fields development.

Hired a defensive head coach for some reason.
Even two weeks later, I would say my view has improved to trending towards B- which is a large jump.

I think the Claypool move shows he has a forward looking view on upcoming FA and how it relates to cap available. Fields IS developing, so that's fantastic. Can't wait to see how the rest of the season goes.

Where the Bears are right now is 1-2 decent (not great) offensive lineman away from pretty much exactly where I wanted to be going into this year (which is to say, sell out on offense at the expense of defense to support development while still giving space for a big offseason), so I'm happy about that.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So you’re telling me, the bears had less to spend than nearly every other team??

This article was written on July 6, and the bears had over 20 million, the 5th most cap space at the time.

How does anyone with a working brain consider this to be “strapped for cash”?
Were you hibernating all of last off season?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is really too early to tell. Coach Nagy was so insidiously bad, our team was in such poor shape for the present and the future. I said months ago, that we might have a better record this year than last, because Coach Nagy is gone. I like that Poles has a plan to build through the draft and that he is not just signing big names in desperation to win now. If I was right, earlier, that we would win more games with no changes in talent and without Coach Nagy, then we are already ahead of the game going into next year. We will have money to spend and a decent amount of draft pics. Victory over some pretty good teams this year says something. We are on our way out of the basement with Poles' new talent and Coach Eberflus over Coach Nagy.
I see this team winning at least four more games this year. They ran into a buzz saw in Dallas but the over-all NFL is dog shit right now. It's going to be fun watching these young guys learn on the job and fight for a position.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I see this team winning at least four more games this year. They ran into a buzz saw in Dallas but the over-all NFL is dog shit right now. It's going to be fun watching these young guys learn on the job and fight for a position.
I agree. Even with the latest losses, I am so encouraged. We have the start of an offense. Our defense needs a few pass rushers. I maintain that we will win more games under Poles and Eberflus than under the previous regime.

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had a ton of hope as I genuinely thought his overall plan or what appeared to be his plan.

1. He came in and sold off our old goods with bad contracts. I think most of us agreed with this to help fill the cabinet of draft picks back up and kill those contracts.

2. Draft players and not trade them all away. He picked up a much of picks later on in the draft and used all of those late round picks on linemen. — I agree with the overall strategy of you can have good draft picks.

3. He said that Fields was the guy early on and said that they believed he was the guy moving forward. —— ok, but this could be lip service.

4. He was going to pick up a bunch of younger cheap players.—- not a bad idea given the cap situation and lack of knowledge of current roster. —- agreed with to some extent as we really didn’t have much to work with.

The decisions and situations that I think most of us aren’t too fond of…

1. Playing a 5th round rookie at LT and only brought in Reiff and Schofield very late and seems to refuse to play them. It’s at the expense of Fields health, also-how can you truly evaluate him if there’s no orotection- people are going to question poles ultimate decision bc Fields can’t play his best and even if he isn’t the guy, you can’t really prove it and there will be tons of people saying it was the line’s fault. Just a bad overall decision- can’t put evaluating a fifth round rookie over the QB position!

2. A.Piggy backing on the first, he brought in Dakota dozier, Davenport early on and those two players should never step foot on an NFL field and that was obvious, so why sign them at all-
B. he failed on the hills lineman bid, c.
C.brought in Patrick and that’s not looking so good at all.
D. Let Daniel’s go with no obvious plan for his replacement- again, thought we were trying to evaluate our QB? If we built a good line and fields sucks, then at least we know and the next drafted QB won’t get killed either.
E.he’s supposed to e this line guru bc he and his VP both are former linemen.
F. The handling Jenkins this year has been abysmal- should have told us the truth instead of all the made up shit, then demote him that far in the lineup doesn’t make any sense. Then they give him a day to learn guard and proves he’s a stud, so then they decide to rotate him with a far inferior player- then they start Patrick over Jenkins bc he had a bad Wednesday practice!!!! Wtf????? He’s miles better than our other lineman outside of Whitehair but he’s younger with a much higher ceiling.

Just worried that he was also the better LT and RT all along and that Jenkins somehow pissed them off and demoted him. That or even scarier would be that Poles ego has the better of him and wants his players to provide proof that Poles is a genius when the obvious fact is ….

The only good linemen on this team are Pace holdovers and Pace isn’t exactly known for an eye for offensive talent!!!!

Little worried up to this point if I’m to be honest.

3. Brought in a ton of young/cheap WR free agents, most who were earlier draft picks that didn’t work out. And this really hasn’t panned out as expected- not a single one has stood out above the rest outside of EQ’s blocking prowess.

4. This should have been number 1 but bringing in flus or any defensive guy just didn’t make sense. I along with most of this board wanted an offensive guy for obvious reasons and no explanation that I’ve heard has made any sense to me.

See Brian Daboll

5.a young an inexperienced play caller with no successful history of working with a young QB.

Can’t really tell and maybe we give him a pass bc lack of talent on the team and his inexperience.

Probably wouldn’t have gone with such a a guy myself- maybe a more proven guy, especially with young QB development may have been better. But having the worst passing offense doesn’t look good on his resume!!!

6. The Robert Quinn experiment was a horrible decision. We aren’t clairvoyant but it was painfully obvious Quinn’s value was never going to be higher than the off-season and should have traded him them.

What’s your opinion of Poles after six glorious weeks of football?

Some more food for thought

I had a ton of hope as I genuinely thought his overall plan or what appeared to be his plan.

1. He came in and sold off our old goods with bad contracts. I think most of us agreed with this to help fill the cabinet of draft picks back up and kill those contracts.

2. Draft players and not trade them all away. He picked up a much of picks later on in the draft and used all of those late round picks on linemen. — I agree with the overall strategy of you can have good draft picks.

3. He said that Fields was the guy early on and said that they believed he was the guy moving forward. —— ok, but this could be lip service.

4. He was going to pick up a bunch of younger cheap players.—- not a bad idea given the cap situation and lack of knowledge of current roster. —- agreed with to some extent as we really didn’t have much to work with.

The decisions and situations that I think most of us aren’t too fond of…

1. Playing a 5th round rookie at LT and only brought in Reiff and Schofield very late and seems to refuse to play them. It’s at the expense of Fields health, also-how can you truly evaluate him if there’s no orotection- people are going to question poles ultimate decision bc Fields can’t play his best and even if he isn’t the guy, you can’t really prove it and there will be tons of people saying it was the line’s fault. Just a bad overall decision- can’t put evaluating a fifth round rookie over the QB position!

2. A.Piggy backing on the first, he brought in Dakota dozier, Davenport early on and those two players should never step foot on an NFL field and that was obvious, so why sign them at all-
B. he failed on the hills lineman bid, c.
C.brought in Patrick and that’s not looking so good at all.
D. Let Daniel’s go with no obvious plan for his replacement- again, thought we were trying to evaluate our QB? If we built a good line and fields sucks, then at least we know and the next drafted QB won’t get killed either.
E.he’s supposed to e this line guru bc he and his VP both are former linemen.
F. The handling Jenkins this year has been abysmal- should have told us the truth instead of all the made up shit, then demote him that far in the lineup doesn’t make any sense. Then they give him a day to learn guard and proves he’s a stud, so then they decide to rotate him with a far inferior player- then they start Patrick over Jenkins bc he had a bad Wednesday practice!!!! Wtf????? He’s miles better than our other lineman outside of Whitehair but he’s younger with a much higher ceiling.

Just worried that he was also the better LT and RT all along and that Jenkins somehow pissed them off and demoted him. That or even scarier would be that Poles ego has the better of him and wants his players to provide proof that Poles is a genius when the obvious fact is ….

The only good linemen on this team are Pace holdovers and Pace isn’t exactly known for an eye for offensive talent!!!!

Little worried up to this point if I’m to be honest.

3. Brought in a ton of young/cheap WR free agents, most who were earlier draft picks that didn’t work out. And this really hasn’t panned out as expected- not a single one has stood out above the rest outside of EQ’s blocking prowess.

4. This should have been number 1 but bringing in flus or any defensive guy just didn’t make sense. I along with most of this board wanted an offensive guy for obvious reasons and no explanation that I’ve heard has made any sense to me.

See Brian Daboll

5.a young an inexperienced play caller with no successful history of working with a young QB.

Can’t really tell and maybe we give him a pass bc lack of talent on the team and his inexperience.

Probably wouldn’t have gone with such a a guy myself- maybe a more proven guy, especially with young QB development may have been better. But having the worst passing offense doesn’t look good on his resume!!!

6. The Robert Quinn experiment was a horrible decision. We aren’t clairvoyant but it was painfully obvious Quinn’s value was never going to be higher than the off-season and should have traded him them.

What’s your opinion of Poles after six glorious weeks of football?

Some more food for thought
I think he gets an F
The talent level on the offensive line is obscenely bad. The WR group prior to the clay pool trade was arguably worse than the oline.

I don’t think he was sold on fields and was tanking and amassing resources to get his QB.

He also overpaid for claypool because he had too.

Big F

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I give him an A+++++ for being George’s bitch

He’s getting a big F for the claypool trade