Poles Grade so far???

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Legacy= pre existing. When used in a tech or hardware context, a legacy component is a component in use that if fails is replaced by a newer, more up to date version.
A very appropriate description of a questionable piece from the prior management that may or may not be up to the task.

Are you choosing to be obtuse, or do you really not get the point?

I will make it easy on you.
Poles had a pre existing first round draft pick from the previous regime that was costly and for all intents and purposes an unknown skill wise.
Poles had no option but to keep him and play him in order to assess his worth.

Hence the statement "he had a couple of legacy (pre existing from previous regime) guys he was forced to roll with (in order to see where they fit moving forward, being that they are complete unknowns).
No one is being obtuse. I've literally never seen a 1 year player referred to as a legacy player. When they do they usually talk about a long time foundational piece. But thank you for the tech and hardware info. I might swap my legacy GPU when the 4000s come out.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No one is being obtuse. I've literally never seen a 1 year player referred to as a legacy player. When they do they usually talk about a long time foundational piece. But thank you for the tech and hardware info. I might swap my legacy GPU when the 4000s come out.
Lets use the most common meaning then- legacy is what a person leaves for the next generation.
It fits quite well.

Honestly the only time I ever hear a guy referred to as a legacy pick is in this exact circumstance- a young unproven starter being evaluated by a new regime.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I think most people giving him an incomplete are just unwilling to admit their new GM did next to nothing to improve the team in his first year. And are holding out hope he isn’t as bad as his first year.

If he was strapped for cash in FA, I can see not bringing in a single above avg player. But we all know he had plenty of $ and chose to do nothing. And did almost nothing in the draft to help fields, the most important player the bears have had in decades.

A rebuild requires adding good players not just subtracting.

The only way I would understand not adding any good players in the first year is if he blew the team up entirely, to get as many picks as possible and ensure the #1 pick in the draft, which he didn’t (Quinn, Roquan, Etc are still on the team)

Somewhere Mitchell Trubisky just wrinkled up his nose and he doesn't know why.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Wouldn't you consider any player from a previous regime legacy?

legacy
lĕg′ə-sē

noun​

1. Money or property given to another by will.
  2. Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: synonym: heritage.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

legacy
lĕg′ə-sē

noun​

2. Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: synonym: heritage.

A committee of the vortex was convened over the weekend and we can confirm @airtime143 has the better argument. Sorry @Anytime23

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Poles cannot make people available at the positions of need if they’re not available.

Patrick came in because he was available as a free agent and no he did not come in with tons of hype. He was supposed to be an improvement but he was not hyped like he was all world or a long-term solution. He’s a bridge until they get a draft pick who is younger and was not expected to be Hall of Fame level.

Has he disappointed sure but he also hasn’t been playing center due to an injury.

During the draft season we hear all the time “don’t reach for need“ but then when Poles drafts who he deems best player available everybody says “I wanted him to go wide receiver wide receiver with the first two picks”, which is exactly how a GM gets himself in trouble.

It is his job to build the team. Everyone says he failed fields when he’s only had one off-season. But getting players who are not the best in the long term won’t rebuild a team either.

The grade is certainly incomplete at this point as it should be. Not only has he only had one off-season with no cap money but we’re only six weeks into the season itself.

Someone said earlier “he had lots of money“ but that is simply untrue he did not. the Bears were in cap Hell and short on draft picks and people are expecting miracles.

Time will tell, but judging on this year’s record is completely missing the point.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles cannot make people available at the positions of need if they’re not available.

Patrick came in because he was available as a free agent and no he did not come in with tons of hype. He was supposed to be an improvement but he was not hyped like he was all world or a long-term solution. He’s a bridge until they get a draft pick who is younger and was not expected to be Hall of Fame level.

Has he disappointed sure but he also hasn’t been playing center due to an injury.

During the draft season we hear all the time “don’t reach for need“ but then when Poles drafts who he deems best player available everybody says “I wanted him to go wide receiver wide receiver with the first two picks”, which is exactly how a GM gets himself in trouble.

It is his job to build the team. Everyone says he failed fields when he’s only had one off-season. But getting players who are not the best in the long term won’t rebuild a team either.

The grade is certainly incomplete at this point as it should be. Not only has he only had one off-season with no cap money but we’re only six weeks into the season itself.

Someone said earlier “he had lots of money“ but that is simply untrue he did not. the Bears were in cap Hell and short on draft picks and people are expecting miracles.

Time will tell, but judging on this year’s record is completely missing the point.
Then why did he try giving Ogunjobi a $40 mil contract?? Lmao

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Then why did he try giving Ogunjobi a $40 mil contract?? Lmao
Because he’s fucking good and fits the scheme. He’s playing out of position in Pittsburgh and still playing very well. This isn’t hard. Did you think Poles was going shell out millions for aging offensive linemen like Jax did?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

legacy
lĕg′ə-sē

noun​

i wouldnt. I think of players who have been foundational pieces and are proven. I think of the Bears defensive core when Trestman came in.
A committee of the vortex was convened over the weekend and we can confirm @airtime143 has the better argument. Sorry @Anytime23
Hey, never stopped you. Wont stop me.
There’s more than one of you? ?
We're truly in the end times.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because he’s fucking good and fits the scheme. He’s playing out of position in Pittsburgh and still playing very well. This isn’t hard. Did you think Poles was going shell out millions for aging offensive linemen like Jax did?
That’s not the question. The question was, if poles was strapped for cash, how was he able to shell out a $40 mil contract.

Keep up buttercup

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That’s not the question. The question was, if poles was strapped for cash, how was he able to shell out a $40 mil contract.

Keep up buttercup
You do realize that it’s not $40 million for one year right? Which isn’t some massive contract in today’s NFL. I’m not sure you realize how contracts work in the NFL, which isn’t surprising considering how big of a fucking idiot you are.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do realize that it’s not $40 million for one year right? Which isn’t some massive contract in today’s NFL. I’m not sure you realize how contracts work in the NFL, which isn’t surprising considering how big of a fucking idiot you are.
Lol. Thanks for the kind words. You must be a tough guy. How’s that working for you?

No one said it’s a massive contract.

Again, for the third time, my argument is that Poles was NOT STRAPPED FOR CASH. If he was, he couldn’t offer a $40 mil/3 year contract.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Decent draft as no first rounders to pick. If you're going to build a team during a rebuild then this is pretty critical to get right. F/A was nothing more than temporary plugs to obvious holes, so many of which, one draft wasn't going to fix, nor was there cap room to really fix. Dumped bloated contracts un necessary in a re build.

HC hire was decent, as the team is showing with much more maturity on the field and a lot less stupid mental error mistakes like not touching a player on the ground, or dumb penalties.

OC by the HC has been suspect. But the reasons very from poor design, to poor execution, to poor talent at key positions.

Overall, for year 1 of a rebuild. C+

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hey, never stopped you. Wont stop me.

Correct but your argument has to go beyond because you said so when given a clear definition. It is not vortex worthy to argue something based on ignorance of what a word means as if you never learned in primary school that words have more than one meaning.

Like holy shit, wait until you start learning about synonyms. Mind blown!

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Correct but your argument has to go beyond because you said so when given a clear definition. It is not vortex worthy to argue something based on ignorance of what a word means as if you never learned in primary school that words have more than one meaning.

Like holy shit, wait until you start learning about synonyms. Mind blown!
I hate to break it to you but not everything in sports is used by the literally definition in Webster. You don't need a PFF subscription to understand that.

Legacy is typically used grandiosely. Like MLB for the Bears is a legacy position. Walter Payton is a legacy player. When talking about a players legacy, its spans a career.

Maybe if you spent less time using google to one up internet meatheads and more time actually paying attention to the discussions that typically take place around sports, you would get it. But keep doing you!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I hate to break it to you but not everything in sports is used by the literally definition in Webster. You don't need a PFF subscription to understand that.

Legacy is typically used grandiosely. Like MLB for the Bears is a legacy position. Walter Payton is a legacy player. When talking about a players legacy, its spans a career.

Maybe if you spent less time using google to one up internet meatheads and more time actually paying attention to the discussions that typically take place around sports, you would get it. But keep doing you!

So again this amount to you are right and everyone else that disagrees with you is wrong because you said so.

Perhaps spend less time discussing sports and more time educating yourself because everyone but you appears to have understand what @airtime143 was saying.

No shame in just saying, "My bad I was unaware it could be used in that context." Never a good idea to argue with someone because they used a word correctly.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Keep up buttercup
You're answering your own question, and don't even realize it.

He had little to spend and targeted a guy he felt could be here a while and part of the rebuild.

It was only after Ogunjobi failed the physical that Poles then spent that same $ on lesser impact players like Patrick.

The Bears' cap situation last offseason is no secret. They had less to spend than nearly every other team. It wasn't ZERO. It was just less than nearly every other team.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're answering your own question, and don't even realize it.

He had little to spend and targeted a guy he felt could be here a while and part of the rebuild.

It was only after Ogunjobi failed the physical that Poles then spent that same $ on lesser impact players like Patrick.

The Bears' cap situation last offseason is no secret. They had less to spend than nearly every other team. It wasn't ZERO. It was just less than nearly every other team.
So you’re telling me, the bears had less to spend than nearly every other team??

This article was written on July 6, and the bears had over 20 million, the 5th most cap space at the time.

How does anyone with a working brain consider this to be “strapped for cash”?