Poles Grade so far???

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Brisker is a player, If gordon develops this year then that will be a huge win and the draft will be good, despite VJJ being a worthless punt returner.

For me it’s all about what he does next year. Bears need to go all in on OL and WR.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Brisker is a player, If gordon develops this year then that will be a huge win and the draft will be good, despite VJJ being a worthless punt returner.

For me it’s all about what he does next year. Bears need to go all in on OL and WR.
TOO late? Bringing in WR and OL talent is an absolute no-brainer. But players usually take at least a year to develop, so that means Field won't have decent talent around him until year 3 at best and probably not until year 4.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People do understand one can learn how to get the ball out on time and read defenses regardless of the talent around you?

Saying we are wasting a year of Field's development is just asinine. Staring at an open Deebo Samuel and not pulling the trigger isnt a better outcome than staring at an open ESB and not pulling the trigger.

Further a better WR means that WR will be wide open more and Fields biggest issue is he needs to learn what NFL open is not what wide open is.

So think people are confusing Fields having better stats with better players with Fields developing.

The ideal outcome is Fields learns hoe to throw with anticipation and get the ball out on time while the Bears still lose because the talent is shit.

Bust

Liked Posts:
People do understand one can learn how to get the ball out on time and read defenses regardless of the talent around you?

Saying we are wasting a year of Field's development is just asinine. Staring at an open Deebo Samuel and not pulling the trigger isnt a better outcome than staring at an open ESB and not pulling the trigger.

Further a better WR means that WR will be wide open more and Fields biggest issue is he needs to learn what NFL open is not what wide open is.

So think people are confusing Fields having better stats with better players with Fields developing.

The ideal outcome is Fields learns hoe to throw with anticipation and get the ball out on time while the Bears still lose because the talent is shit.

well put boo!

half the bears sacks allowed is on the qb.

is justin just going thru the motions when he looks at the defense or does he recognize blitz formation tendencies and is willing to go to his hot read at the snap of the ball.

Fields "monty is my 5th read so stop asking me dat" = #derp

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
TOO late? Bringing in WR and OL talent is an absolute no-brainer. But players usually take at least a year to develop, so that means Field won't have decent talent around him until year 3 at best and probably not until year 4.

Umm we have guys at OL and WR that are taking their development year now ie Jones, Borom, Jenkins, Carter, Thomas, Kramer and Leatherwood at OL. VJJ, Harry, ESB and Harry. All 26 or younger right now.

Depending on how that all shakes out this year, the OL help will come from FA as we have 100m+ to spend so will have to spend it somewhere. Whoever we sign will probabky be established and not need a year. Same at WR, we likely sign or trade for someone.

So it is weird to complain about guys need a development year but then be upset when a shit ton of young guys are currently going thru theor development year now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
well put boo!

half the bears sacks allowed is on the qb.

is justin just going thru the motions when he looks at the defense or does he recognize blitz formation tendencies and is willing to go to his hot read at the snap of the ball.

Fields "monty is my 5th read so stop asking me dat" = #derp

Yeah not that simple either. Often times he is staring at the right guy but hesitates because he is he used to guys being wide open and he is used to holding the ball and waiting for the deep stuff to open up.

I dont see a lot of him confused by what he is seeing. I see a guy that simply needs to take his licks until it really sinks in that he cant operate like he did in college. He still expects that his elite atheleticism allows him to take chances that lesser talented QBs would never take. It does but not at the rate he was used to in college and he needs game experience to recalibrate

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

They're absolutely wasting a year of Fields development. He can still get better with what we have, even though he really hasn't, but when you have WR's you trust then it would make it easier for him to let the ball go. A lot of this shit is in his head and having better players he trusts can help with some of that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They're absolutely wasting a year of Fields development. He can still get better with what we have, even though he really hasn't, but when you have WR's you trust then it would make it easier for him to let the ball go. A lot of this shit is in his head and having better players he trusts can help with some of that.

That isnt development. That is his WR making up for the fact he doesnt trust the system or scheme. If a WR is NFL open then you throw the ball. Doesnt matter their name on the jersey. Doesnt matter if they drop the ball. Your job as a QB is not to make value judgment on whether the other guy will make a play. It is to throw the ball if you have a window to do so.

And he has gotten better. Last year he was often looking in the wrong spot. This year he is looking in the right spot but doesnt want to pull the trigger as he is worrying about things outside his control.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
if you wanna get technical, they beat the commanders if velus doesnt field that punt
if any one of a number of things went right they win......they had about 4 or 5 things go south. But its still an L

napo55

Liked Posts:
Umm we have guys at OL and WR that are taking their development year now ie Jones, Borom, Jenkins, Carter, Thomas, Kramer and Leatherwood at OL. VJJ, Harry, ESB and Harry. All 26 or younger right now.

Depending on how that all shakes out this year, the OL help will come from FA as we have 100m+ to spend so will have to spend it somewhere. Whoever we sign will probabky be established and not need a year. Same at WR, we likely sign or trade for someone.

So it is weird to complain about guys need a development year but then be upset when a shit ton of young guys are currently going thru theor development year now.
And who are the promising young WRs now going through their year of development? VJJ, Harry, and ESB are third rate receivers.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
D-

Brisker seems like he’ll be decent and Gordon is coming along. All of his FA signings have been pretty shitty though.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Clearly many do not.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And who are the promising young WRs now going through their year of development? VJJ, Harry, and ESB are third rate receivers.

ESB - Had to judge as he suffers the most from Fields hesitation to throw to guys NFL open. He certainly has helped run gsme but as a big WR, Fields has to give him a chance to make the catch rather than expect he is going to have 4 yards of separation.

Harry - Hasnt played yet so cant say one way or the other. But like ESB and ARob you cant evaluate him unless Fields is willing to throw in tignt windows and allow them to do what thay are good at which is using their body to shield the catch even if they dont get great separation.

VJJ - slowed by injury but he can be the YAC guy that is critical to Fields taking the check down. He has 2 catches for just 19 yards or 9.5 yards a catch. His YAC though actually 13.5 ie more than his YPR. So basically he represents easy yards for Fields.

In short you cant say you want guys to develop but then draw conclusions after 6 games. That just shows you are paying lip service as development requires time and patience.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I had a ton of hope as I genuinely thought his overall plan or what appeared to be his plan.

1. He came in and sold off our old goods with bad contracts. I think most of us agreed with this to help fill the cabinet of draft picks back up and kill those contracts.

2. Draft players and not trade them all away. He picked up a much of picks later on in the draft and used all of those late round picks on linemen. — I agree with the overall strategy of you can have good draft picks.

3. He said that Fields was the guy early on and said that they believed he was the guy moving forward. —— ok, but this could be lip service.

4. He was going to pick up a bunch of younger cheap players.—- not a bad idea given the cap situation and lack of knowledge of current roster. —- agreed with to some extent as we really didn’t have much to work with.

The decisions and situations that I think most of us aren’t too fond of…

1. Playing a 5th round rookie at LT and only brought in Reiff and Schofield very late and seems to refuse to play them. It’s at the expense of Fields health, also-how can you truly evaluate him if there’s no orotection- people are going to question poles ultimate decision bc Fields can’t play his best and even if he isn’t the guy, you can’t really prove it and there will be tons of people saying it was the line’s fault. Just a bad overall decision- can’t put evaluating a fifth round rookie over the QB position!

2. A.Piggy backing on the first, he brought in Dakota dozier, Davenport early on and those two players should never step foot on an NFL field and that was obvious, so why sign them at all-
B. he failed on the hills lineman bid, c.
C.brought in Patrick and that’s not looking so good at all.
D. Let Daniel’s go with no obvious plan for his replacement- again, thought we were trying to evaluate our QB? If we built a good line and fields sucks, then at least we know and the next drafted QB won’t get killed either.
E.he’s supposed to e this line guru bc he and his VP both are former linemen.
F. The handling Jenkins this year has been abysmal- should have told us the truth instead of all the made up shit, then demote him that far in the lineup doesn’t make any sense. Then they give him a day to learn guard and proves he’s a stud, so then they decide to rotate him with a far inferior player- then they start Patrick over Jenkins bc he had a bad Wednesday practice!!!! Wtf????? He’s miles better than our other lineman outside of Whitehair but he’s younger with a much higher ceiling.

Just worried that he was also the better LT and RT all along and that Jenkins somehow pissed them off and demoted him. That or even scarier would be that Poles ego has the better of him and wants his players to provide proof that Poles is a genius when the obvious fact is ….

The only good linemen on this team are Pace holdovers and Pace isn’t exactly known for an eye for offensive talent!!!!

Little worried up to this point if I’m to be honest.

3. Brought in a ton of young/cheap WR free agents, most who were earlier draft picks that didn’t work out. And this really hasn’t panned out as expected- not a single one has stood out above the rest outside of EQ’s blocking prowess.

4. This should have been number 1 but bringing in flus or any defensive guy just didn’t make sense. I along with most of this board wanted an offensive guy for obvious reasons and no explanation that I’ve heard has made any sense to me.

See Brian Daboll

5.a young an inexperienced play caller with no successful history of working with a young QB.

Can’t really tell and maybe we give him a pass bc lack of talent on the team and his inexperience.

Probably wouldn’t have gone with such a a guy myself- maybe a more proven guy, especially with young QB development may have been better. But having the worst passing offense doesn’t look good on his resume!!!

6. The Robert Quinn experiment was a horrible decision. We aren’t clairvoyant but it was painfully obvious Quinn’s value was never going to be higher than the off-season and should have traded him them.

What’s your opinion of Poles after six glorious weeks of football?

Some more food for thought

You made a interesting point here in link #24 :

"Early signs show Poles is not a good evaluator of talent at the position he was supposed to really know!!! Davenport, Dozier, Patrick, Reiff and Schofield?????????

That’s embarrassing for a prior o lineman—- he’s still probably trying to prove he should have played in the nfl by bringing in and drafting guys that were just like him but he was wrong, they suck like he did! "

--------------------------------------

I gotta go .....incomplete at this point.

Overall, this is what happens when ownership brings in inexperienced ppl. Am I putting on a cape for Poles and the others......absolutely not. All we can do now is ride it out ?

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Too late? The bears weren’t winning shit this year even if they brought in a few better players. This offense is miles away.

If this year ruins fields then he isn’t the guy. He’s clearly still struggling getting the ball out on time, and trusting tight windows. Hopefully he can improve that and be a good QB by years end, and hopefully poles adds multiple OL and a WR1.

This team couldn’t be fixed in 1 year.