Poles in win win spot w QB

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
If Poles decides to either move on or stick with Fields, it’s a win win.

If he stays with Poles and he stinks- he didn’t draft him and no one would hold it against him.

If he trades Fields and picks someone he absolutely loves the clock starts all over again and has another few years.

That having been said, he can ride his tenure out longer with choice number one.

Who is a huge issue with GM’s. Let’s be honest Fields has shown very little to no evidence that he can be the QB moving forward.

So, for the rebuild purpose, drafting the best QB according to him would reset the rookie clock. As Fields has lost two years.

This kind of move would take extreme BALLS and Poles has shown to not care and for all we know told ownership that he didn’t think he was the guy.

Last thought, I/we really don’t fully understand the affect the money/attendance etc has to do with player personnel decisions. Fields is beloved by Bears fans and a lot more people watch the Bears bc he is so damn exciting and fun to watch.

I personally think he could win a Super Bowl or maybe two as I just don’t think his tenure will last that long for health reasons.

AgainC I would keep him but my point is that the perfect recipe exists for him to get rid of him if he wants. It’s very hard/easy to get the first pick of the draft depending on how you look at it and it doesn’t happen too often for a franchise so he could use that to sell the McCaskeys but I also don’t have the Metrics to see how much money Fields brings in the Bears being who he is and how he plays.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

If he stays with Poles and he stinks- he didn’t draft him and no one would hold it against him.

If he trades Fields and picks someone he absolutely loves the clock starts all over again and has another few years.

That having been said, he can ride his tenure out longer with choice number one.

Who is a huge issue with GM’s. Let’s be honest Fields has shown very little to no evidence that he can be the QB moving forward.

So, for the rebuild purpose, drafting the best QB according to him would reset the rookie clock. As Fields has lost two years.

This kind of move would take extreme BALLS and Poles has shown to not care and for all we know told ownership that he didn’t think he was the guy.

Last thought, I/we really don’t fully understand the affect the money/attendance etc has to do with player personnel decisions. Fields is beloved by Bears fans and a lot more people watch the Bears bc he is so damn exciting and fun to watch.

I personally think he could win a Super Bowl or maybe two as I just don’t think his tenure will last that long for health reasons.

AgainC I would keep him but my point is that the perfect recipe exists for him to get rid of him if he wants. It’s very hard/easy to get the first pick of the draft depending on how you look at it and it doesn’t happen too often for a franchise so he could use that to sell the McCaskeys but I also don’t have the Metrics to see how much money Fields brings in the Bears being who he is and how he plays.
I see the Win Win differently.

If Poles trades Fields and drafts HIS qb, he has just lit the fuse on his tenure. Depending on what happens to his QB and Fields, that fuse could be extremely short.

If Fields becomes a franchise QB with real weapons and Poles' QB tanks, his tenure is over and he will never see the GM chair again.

On the other extreme, if his QB becomes a franchise QB and Fields never develops, Poles will win at least one GM of the year, but Pace won one too, so that is not very valuable.

Chances are something more in the middle where Fields develops some and Poles' QB is a game manager. That makes Poles a meh type of GM, nothing special.

Now let's look at the real Win Win situation.

The Bears keep Fields and build around him.

1. He develops well and is a star QB his third year. Poles played it safe and won the QB lottery.

2. Fields does not develop enough in 2023, the Bears again play poorly and Poles drafts one of the top QBs in the 2024 draft. He won by not lighting the fuse on his tenure until the 2024 draft, keeping him safe in 2023. He also has a very long fuse with a Caleb Williams type of QB as his QB who is much better than any QB found in the 2023 draft.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Could you imagine trading Fields to a team like the Ravens and they go to the playoffs next year while the Bears are again trying to groom a QB with Luke Getsy and co.?
Any and all talk about trading Fields and drafting a QB first overall is nonsense. More than half of the QBs picked at the top of the draft turn out to be game managers or worse. Poles would have to be a major gambler, a reckless one at that, to trade Fields and pick a guy 1st overall. That would be compounded by how Chicago hasn't had a game-breaking QB in most of our lifetimes, then the moment we've got one, Poles trades him away? That would be career suicide.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I really dont understand the talk about trading Fields. Why would you even think about trading him when you havent given him the talent around him to support his growth? People think any QB can come in here, let alone a Rookie and put up solid numbers with our circus of an OLine.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Disagree.

If Fields turns out to “stink” then we just waisted two seasons instead of one. This is why I (and many others) have been critical of Poles for failing to put any protection or playmakers around him… to figure out how good Fields really is.

Now we have to do this in Poles’ year 2, Fields’ year three. And if Fields isn’t much better with weapons and protection this coming year, this rebuild is pushed back at least another year.

If this ends up being the case, it should not be considered a “win” for poles.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
If he moves on from Fields who the fans love watching and he then goes on to be one of the best in the league whilst his replacement doesn’t, it’ll go down as one of the worst moves any Bears GM has ever made. That would be a gigantic lose if he traded away the first franchise QB Bears had in modern times . Not win win at all.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
If Poles wants to be in a win-win spot with the QB position, he should trade down in this draft for a 2024 1st that’s projected to be a top 10 pick.

This gives him time to build a proper supporting cast (offensive line & wide receivers) to properly evaluate Fields. If Fields is legit - perfect. If Fields isn’t the answer, then Poles has the draft capital to get “his guy” with a proper supporting cast in place.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Disagree.

If Fields turns out to “stink” then we just waisted two seasons instead of one. This is why I (and many others) have been critical of Poles for failing to put any protection or playmakers around him… to figure out how good Fields really is.

Now we have to do this in Poles’ year 2, Fields’ year three. And if Fields isn’t much better with weapons and protection this coming year, this rebuild is pushed back at least another year.

Trading Fields could easily become the next Lou Brock for Ernie Brolio.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Disagree.

Are you implying Fields stunk this year? Because the Bears football I watched this year was the most exciting I've seen in years with Fields single handedly keeping the Bears in games with virtually no help. And if he didn't stink this year, why in the world would anyone conclude he'd stink next year, with help and a year in Getsy's system?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

If he passes on these QB's and stays with Fields and he stinks then i'm definitely holding it against him.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I see the point in moving Fields, but most are missing the other part of it

Young
Stroud
Levis

These are not guys to move to and away from Fields.,....if this draft had a elway/manning/luck type then I see the move....but not for any of these three.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Can we stop saying Fields had no weapons at all on offense please? I get it that he didn't have much and a average OL but he had weapons that he could of done more with in the passing game. Kmet had 3 TD's in one game. Seems like a weapon that they just didn't go to consistently enough. Everyone wants to pay D.Mooney but if nobody thinks he's a weapon then why pay him. I've seen many WR's go to a new team and be able to produce so did Claypool just lose all of his talent as soon as he got traded??

They need to give him a lot of talent on that OL but the only thing he needs in weapons is a #1 WR because he's good with 2's, 3's and 4's.

GEESH

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agreed that Poles has it easy at QB this season. He still has to draft impact players. He comes into this draft with immense capital.. more than he will ever have in one season.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I never suggested that he should move on from fields, in fact; I said that he shouldn’t.

My point is that if he ever was, this is the perfect time where he has a number one pick. Wouldn’t have to give a haul of picks to live up and draft his guy.

GM’s have egos and there’s a good chance that he’d prefer to have drafted his QB if given the opportunity. He didn’t exactly set him up for any success at all prior to this season.

There’s virtually no way he does trade Fields and drafts another QB.

The Bears luck probably works out that Fields isn’t the guy and one of the QB’s he could have drafted will become a star QB.

Fields is a great football player, that’s undeniable but he is a bad quarterback right now as it stands. The line and wr talent is subpar for sure.

Maholmes is unbelievable bc he’s producing with a lackluster wr group. Granted he has a good line but ju ju, hard men and scantling are a below average group. Maholmes would have produced the same or better with Mooney, claypool and the rest of our guys.

I do hope he becomes the guy but I don’t know that that will ever happen.

How can mr irrelevant come in and go 6-0 and wipe out the Vikings looking like the second coming of Christ. Yes,he has talent but how can so many be so wrong about this kid???

I personally think that the nfl combine does more harm than good and most of the physical tests are pretty much useless and far too much stock is placed on it.

Players should be running the 40 in full pads carrying a football to really test their speed.

Tape, and the other intangibles are more important in my opinion.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I see the point in moving Fields, but most are missing the other part of it

Young
Stroud
Levis

These are not guys to move to and away from Fields.,....if this draft had a elway/manning/luck type then I see the move....but not for any of these three.

No one knows if these three will be good. Mahomes was the 3rd QB in his draft

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed that Poles has it easy at QB this season. He still has to draft impact players. He comes into this draft with immense capital.. more than he will ever have in one season.

I don’t think he has it easy at all. If one of the rookies goes off and Fields plateaus he looks like an ass and is on his way to being fired.

Think he’s actually under a lot of pressure. He has to decide who’s better long term…. Fields or a rookie. (This is on top of developing a supporting cast)

napo55

Liked Posts:
Can we stop saying Fields had no weapons at all on offense please? I get it that he didn't have much and a average OL but he had weapons that he could of done more with in the passing game. Kmet had 3 TD's in one game. Seems like a weapon that they just didn't go to consistently enough. Everyone wants to pay D.Mooney but if nobody thinks he's a weapon then why pay him. I've seen many WR's go to a new team and be able to produce so did Claypool just lose all of his talent as soon as he got traded??

They need to give him a lot of talent on that OL but the only thing he needs in weapons is a #1 WR because he's good with 2's, 3's and 4's.

GEESH
Any fair and onjective observer would conclude that the Bears WR group is among the worst in the NFL. Bringing in failed receivers and expecting them to suddenly become productive players is unrealistic.

As far as the O line , it also is among the worst.

So concentrate on giving Fields some decent receivers and quality linemen, and then we can actually have a fair assessment of Justin Fields.

Liked Posts:

GEESH
You're right, Fields did have weapons....really shitty weapons. He brought a knife to a gun fight every game.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Any fair and onjective observer would conclude that the Bears WR group is among the worst in the NFL. Bringing in failed receivers and expecting them to suddenly become productive players is unrealistic.

As far as the O line , it also is among the worst.

So concentrate on giving Fields some decent receivers and quality linemen, and then we can actually have a fair assessment of Justin Fields.

Mooney, Kmet and Claypool are all legit (not failed) NFL players. (Not saying it’s enough)

The offense line is a completely different story and an utter failure