Poles in win win spot w QB

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
I see the Win Win differently.

If Poles trades Fields and drafts HIS qb, he has just lit the fuse on his tenure. Depending on what happens to his QB and Fields, that fuse could be extremely short.

If Fields becomes a franchise QB with real weapons and Poles' QB tanks, his tenure is over and he will never see the GM chair again.

On the other extreme, if his QB becomes a franchise QB and Fields never develops, Poles will win at least one GM of the year, but Pace won one too, so that is not very valuable.

Chances are something more in the middle where Fields develops some and Poles' QB is a game manager. That makes Poles a meh type of GM, nothing special.

Now let's look at the real Win Win situation.

The Bears keep Fields and build around him.

1. He develops well and is a star QB his third year. Poles played it safe and won the QB lottery.

2. Fields does not develop enough in 2023, the Bears again play poorly and Poles drafts one of the top QBs in the 2024 draft. He won by not lighting the fuse on his tenure until the 2024 draft, keeping him safe in 2023. He also has a very long fuse with a Caleb Williams type of QB as his QB who is much better than any QB found in the 2023 draft.
The idea that we can just "get" Caleb Williams next season if Fields disappoints seems really stupid to me.

If Poles wants his own QB, this is the year for him to draft that player. We're picking #1 overall.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The idea that we can just "get" Caleb Williams next season if Fields disappoints seems really stupid to me.

If Poles wants his own QB, this is the year for him to draft that player. We're picking #1 overall.

Just like it takes luck to win a SB it takes luck to get the first pick. Would be shocked if they picked this high next year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Any fair and onjective observer would conclude that the Bears WR group is among the worst in the NFL. Bringing in failed receivers and expecting them to suddenly become productive players is unrealistic.

As far as the O line , it also is among the worst.

So concentrate on giving Fields some decent receivers and quality linemen, and then we can actually have a fair assessment of Justin Fields.
Lets just stop acting like he didn't have any weapons because he did. We all know he needs a #1 WR and a better OL but again, lets just stop saying he didn't have any weapons because he did.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
This can easily be a lose/lose/loses situation. Trade Fields and he turns into a pro bowler, the QB he picks turns out to be Zach Wilson 2.0 and Poles loses his job for being an idiot! He clearly has more to lose in trading Fields than keeping him.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I think if Bryce Young was a couple inches taller there would be no doubt that he’d be the pick and Fields would be traded. Since he’s not, Fields is the guy going forward, but his seat is still warm for 2024 draft.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if Bryce Young was a couple inches taller there would be no doubt that he’d be the pick and Fields would be traded. Since he’s not, Fields is the guy going forward, but his seat is still warm for 2024 draft.
Not only that, he's less than 200 lbs... Dude gunna get hurt if a 230lb Fields gets nicked up.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I really dont understand the talk about trading Fields. Why would you even think about trading him when you havent given him the talent around him to support his growth? People think any QB can come in here, let alone a Rookie and put up solid numbers with our circus of an OLine.

I understand it in the media, from this angle:

Creating uncertainty about the Quarterback position will only drive up the price of the #1 overall pick.

The Bears are going to do the smart play here.

They will feign uncertainty, get as much as they can for the #1 overall, which will for sure include a 2024 first round pick, and then will build around Fields this year.

If Fields' legs continue to be special and the passing improves, they will keep him. If not, they will trade up in 2024 and try to get one of the top 2 QBs in that draft.

Its the smartest play.

Now what I don't understand are fans wanting to trade Fields - even if you intend to draft a QB, the #1 overall pick has inherently more return than what you will get for Fields. You're better off giving Fields another year and trading out of the #1, but securing 1 if not 2 first round picks next year (in addition to the Bears' own) to hedge bets and trade up for a better QB prospect than you can find in this year's draft anyway if Fields does indeed fail...

Nelly

Liked Posts:
If Fields turns out to “stink” then we just waisted two seasons instead of one. This is why I (and many others) have been critical of Poles for failing to put any protection or playmakers around him… to figure out how good Fields really is.

Now we have to do this in Poles’ year 2, Fields’ year three. And if Fields isn’t much better with weapons and protection this coming year, this rebuild is pushed back at least another year.

If this ends up being the case, it should not be considered a “win” for poles.
I said going into the season that if Fields had the goods, he'd show it regardless of his supporting cast. Now, he's at least one of the most exciting young play makers in football, certainly deserving of surrounding with big talent and riding. All that's left is to find out how good he can become.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Given that the Bears have not had a #1 draft
pick in decades, I would think Poles is at
least looking at QB's with their #1 pick.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

For you to understand ...

Imagine that Fields is a race car ... with no safety harness (the offensive line), worn out wheels (receiving corps), is filled with cheap fuel (play calling) while also needing a major tune-up (needs major steps in the passing game).

Poles is the GM of that race car team. He needed to replace old sponsors last year, but now has over 100 million in sponsorship and is ready to fix many of the problems from the last racing season. He has a chance of addressing the harness, wheels while also dealing with some other problems with the infrastructure (the defense). The chemical formula of the fuel is currently being adjusted while the major tune-up will also be addressed.

Isn't it worth it to see how team Fields does with fixes to some of these things, which are so fundamental to success, but were seriously lacking in 2022?

Yes, the Bears have the #1 pick and can choose a QB at #1, but this year is lacking a true #1 race car, the best being a Mini Cooper with a high chance of breaking down physically. Since that particular Mini Cooper is not very fast nor elusive, the chances of it finishing the race season are very low.

If the Bears keep Fields with the chance of him taking that 3rd year leap that many QBs have done before, Hurts being the latest. Doing this and trading down will get the Bears an additional first round pick in 2024, if not two.

If Fields takes that next step, they will have two or three first round picks to build even more around him.

If Fields fails miserably, the Bears will do very badly and might even end up with the #1 pick again (think Jags for two seasons in a row). If they do not get the #1 pick, they will have two or three #1 picks in 2024 to have a chance at Caleb Williams. If the team with the #1 pick is not looking for a QB, teams with multiple high picks will have the best chance of landing him.

Of course, landing Caleb is not a given, but if Fields fails, the Bears will have 3 or 4 first rounders (1 or 2 from the trades in the 2023 draft, their own 2024 and a future 2025) to land him.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Lets just stop acting like he didn't have any weapons because he did. We all know he needs a #1 WR and a better OL but again, lets just stop saying he didn't have any weapons because he did.
Please compare his weapons (including offensive line) with the weapons on the 49ers.

Now THEY have weapons.

Do you think Purdy would be doing so well if he were playing on the Bears without the 49ers' offensive line, rushing and receiving threats?

Do you think the Fields would have done so poorly in the passing game if he played for the 49ers with their offensive line, defense (yes, a good defense helps an offense), offensive weapons and play caller?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Please compare his weapons (including offensive line) with the weapons on the 49ers.

Now THEY have weapons.

Do you think Purdy would be doing so well if he were playing on the Bears without the 49ers' offensive line, rushing and receiving threats?

Do you think the Fields would have done so poorly in the passing game if he played for the 49ers with their offensive line, defense (yes, a good defense helps an offense), offensive weapons and play caller?
Why on earth would i compare the Bears weapons to the 49ers weapons? That would be stupid. The Bears won 3 games and the 49ers are playing in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Do you understand the conversation that's going on here that you jumped into?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would only be happy moving on from Fields if we got MULTIPLE 1sts, which would allow us to somehow get both Anderson/QB (Young or Stroud) and a high 2024 1st that would get us Harrison, Jr. But I'd rather keep him, and surround him with talent. He improved A LOT this year, and with little ammunition. Some improvements, yes, but I expect a LOT of upgrades before next year—huge FA acquisitions, and a really good draft as well.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I see the point in moving Fields, but most are missing the other part of it

Young
Stroud
Levis

These are not guys to move to and away from Fields.,....if this draft had a elway/manning/luck type then I see the move....but not for any of these three.

There are also going to be teams who don't want to fork over 300 million on one position. See Ravens and Lamar Jackson

Fields is going on year 3. His time is clicking on his rookie contract

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
If Poles decides to either move on or stick with Fields, it’s a win win.

If he stays with Poles and he stinks- he didn’t draft him and no one would hold it against him.

If he trades Fields and picks someone he absolutely loves the clock starts all over again and has another few years.

That having been said, he can ride his tenure out longer with choice number one.

Who is a huge issue with GM’s. Let’s be honest Fields has shown very little to no evidence that he can be the QB moving forward.

So, for the rebuild purpose, drafting the best QB according to him would reset the rookie clock. As Fields has lost two years.

This kind of move would take extreme BALLS and Poles has shown to not care and for all we know told ownership that he didn’t think he was the guy.

Last thought, I/we really don’t fully understand the affect the money/attendance etc has to do with player personnel decisions. Fields is beloved by Bears fans and a lot more people watch the Bears bc he is so damn exciting and fun to watch.

I personally think he could win a Super Bowl or maybe two as I just don’t think his tenure will last that long for health reasons.

AgainC I would keep him but my point is that the perfect recipe exists for him to get rid of him if he wants. It’s very hard/easy to get the first pick of the draft depending on how you look at it and it doesn’t happen too often for a franchise so he could use that to sell the McCaskeys but I also don’t have the Metrics to see how much money Fields brings in the Bears being who he is and how he plays.

If this team still stinks a year from now, no matter who the QB is, Poles will find his seat getting mighty warm.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
For you to understand ...

Imagine that Fields is a race car ... with no safety harness (the offensive line), worn out wheels (receiving corps), is filled with cheap fuel (play calling) while also needing a major tune-up (needs major steps in the passing game).

Poles is the GM of that race car team. He needed to replace old sponsors last year, but now has over 100 million in sponsorship and is ready to fix many of the problems from the last racing season. He has a chance of addressing the harness, wheels while also dealing with some other problems with the infrastructure (the defense). The chemical formula of the fuel is currently being adjusted while the major tune-up will also be addressed.

Isn't it worth it to see how team Fields does with fixes to some of these things, which are so fundamental to success, but were seriously lacking in 2022?

Yes, the Bears have the #1 pick and can choose a QB at #1, but this year is lacking a true #1 race car, the best being a Mini Cooper with a high chance of breaking down physically. Since that particular Mini Cooper is not very fast nor elusive, the chances of it finishing the race season are very low.

If the Bears keep Fields with the chance of him taking that 3rd year leap that many QBs have done before, Hurts being the latest. Doing this and trading down will get the Bears an additional first round pick in 2024, if not two.

If Fields takes that next step, they will have two or three first round picks to build even more around him.

If Fields fails miserably, the Bears will do very badly and might even end up with the #1 pick again (think Jags for two seasons in a row). If they do not get the #1 pick, they will have two or three #1 picks in 2024 to have a chance at Caleb Williams. If the team with the #1 pick is not looking for a QB, teams with multiple high picks will have the best chance of landing him.

Of course, landing Caleb is not a given, but if Fields fails, the Bears will have 3 or 4 first rounders (1 or 2 from the trades in the 2023 draft, their own 2024 and a future 2025) to land him.
Fields, even though he is not a good passer, can win games against the non-elite defenses with his running ability. His elite rushing ability will not have the Bears getting a # 1 overall pick.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Are you implying Fields stunk this year? Because the Bears football I watched this year was the most exciting I've seen in years with Fields single handedly keeping the Bears in games with virtually no help. And if he didn't stink this year, why in the world would anyone conclude he'd stink next year, with help and a year in Getsy's system?

if Fields has a season like his most recent one in year 5 and he looking to get paid, do you give him 40 million per year to run the ball?

Didn't think so. NEXT~!!

Last edited:

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The size of balls it would take to move on from Fields right now? They just don't come that big. Fun to talk about tho.