Poles in win win spot w QB

discplayer

Liked Posts:
If Poles decides to either move on or stick with Fields, it’s a win win.

If he stays with Poles and he stinks- he didn’t draft him and no one would hold it against him.

If he trades Fields and picks someone he absolutely loves the clock starts all over again and has another few years.

That having been said, he can ride his tenure out longer with choice number one.

Who is a huge issue with GM’s. Let’s be honest Fields has shown very little to no evidence that he can be the QB moving forward.

So, for the rebuild purpose, drafting the best QB according to him would reset the rookie clock. As Fields has lost two years.

This kind of move would take extreme BALLS and Poles has shown to not care and for all we know told ownership that he didn’t think he was the guy.

Last thought, I/we really don’t fully understand the affect the money/attendance etc has to do with player personnel decisions. Fields is beloved by Bears fans and a lot more people watch the Bears bc he is so damn exciting and fun to watch.

I personally think he could win a Super Bowl or maybe two as I just don’t think his tenure will last that long for health reasons.

AgainC I would keep him but my point is that the perfect recipe exists for him to get rid of him if he wants. It’s very hard/easy to get the first pick of the draft depending on how you look at it and it doesn’t happen too often for a franchise so he could use that to sell the McCaskeys but I also don’t have the Metrics to see how much money Fields brings in the Bears being who he is and how he plays.
Has “shown very little to no evidence he can be the QB moving forward.”

Seriously? Wow. SMH!

Bust

Liked Posts:
Has “shown very little to no evidence he can be the QB moving forward.”

Seriously? Wow. SMH!

the bar is real low at the qb position for bear fans.

Justin throws for 20 touchdowns next year this board will call him the next coming . . .

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see the point in moving Fields, but most are missing the other part of it

Young
Stroud
Levis

These are not guys to move to and away from Fields.,....if this draft had a elway/manning/luck type then I see the move....but not for any of these three.

I don’t know Levi’s but agree 100% on Young and Stroud.

Stroud is a good prospect.

Fields floor looks like it’s Russell Wilson. He’s gonna get hard to stop. He’s gonna tire defenses, and if you get him stops he can keep the ball out of opposing QBs hands with long frustrating drives.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The size of balls it would take to move on from Fields right now? They just don't come that big. Fun to talk about tho.

As others said if Luck was available you consider it, maybe trade Fields.

Take Carter or trade down and hope for Carter.

Poles would be foolish to shorten his window.

He can be smart to draft a value QB if a Zappe/Purdy falls to value absolutely.

But you ride out Fields until the team is built around him.

Eberflus will get his defensive choices for a couple years.

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:
There are also going to be teams who don't want to fork over 300 million on one position. See Ravens and Lamar Jackson

Fields is going on year 3. His time is clicking on his rookie contract
the qb of the 32nd ranked passing offense isn't getting 300 million....good news is they have 3 years left on rookie deal + 2 franchise tags if needed

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If Poles decides to either move on or stick with Fields, it’s a win win.

If he stays with Poles and he stinks- he didn’t draft him and no one would hold it against him.

If he trades Fields and picks someone he absolutely loves the clock starts all over again and has another few years.

That having been said, he can ride his tenure out longer with choice number one.

Who is a huge issue with GM’s. Let’s be honest Fields has shown very little to no evidence that he can be the QB moving forward.

So, for the rebuild purpose, drafting the best QB according to him would reset the rookie clock. As Fields has lost two years.

This kind of move would take extreme BALLS and Poles has shown to not care and for all we know told ownership that he didn’t think he was the guy.

Last thought, I/we really don’t fully understand the affect the money/attendance etc has to do with player personnel decisions. Fields is beloved by Bears fans and a lot more people watch the Bears bc he is so damn exciting and fun to watch.

I personally think he could win a Super Bowl or maybe two as I just don’t think his tenure will last that long for health reasons.

AgainC I would keep him but my point is that the perfect recipe exists for him to get rid of him if he wants. It’s very hard/easy to get the first pick of the draft depending on how you look at it and it doesn’t happen too often for a franchise so he could use that to sell the McCaskeys but I also don’t have the Metrics to see how much money Fields brings in the Bears being who he is and how he plays.
Crazy talk, JF is the guy at least for a couple of years to see what happens with some help on the "O". Everyone at the top is bought in they aren't idiots and see his potential and leadership.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I never suggested that he should move on from fields, in fact; I said that he shouldn’t.

My point is that if he ever was, this is the perfect time where he has a number one pick. Wouldn’t have to give a haul of picks to live up and draft his guy.

GM’s have egos and there’s a good chance that he’d prefer to have drafted his QB if given the opportunity. He didn’t exactly set him up for any success at all prior to this season.

There’s virtually no way he does trade Fields and drafts another QB.

The Bears luck probably works out that Fields isn’t the guy and one of the QB’s he could have drafted will become a star QB.

Fields is a great football player, that’s undeniable but he is a bad quarterback right now as it stands. The line and wr talent is subpar for sure.

Maholmes is unbelievable bc he’s producing with a lackluster wr group. Granted he has a good line but ju ju, hard men and scantling are a below average group. Maholmes would have produced the same or better with Mooney, claypool and the rest of our guys.

I do hope he becomes the guy but I don’t know that that will ever happen.

How can mr irrelevant come in and go 6-0 and wipe out the Vikings looking like the second coming of Christ. Yes,he has talent but how can so many be so wrong about this kid???

I personally think that the nfl combine does more harm than good and most of the physical tests are pretty much useless and far too much stock is placed on it.

Players should be running the 40 in full pads carrying a football to really test their speed.

Tape, and the other intangibles are more important in my opinion.
There is no way in hell Mahomes produces anywhere close to the KC results if you drop him
into the 2022 Bears JF played with. Not happening.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Any and all talk about trading Fields and drafting a QB first overall is nonsense. More than half of the QBs picked at the top of the draft turn out to be game managers or worse. Poles would have to be a major gambler, a reckless one at that, to trade Fields and pick a guy 1st overall. That would be compounded by how Chicago hasn't had a game-breaking QB in most of our lifetimes, then the moment we've got one, Poles trades him away? That would be career suicide.
Smart man. Good points.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t know Levi’s but agree 100% on Young and Stroud.

Stroud is a good prospect.

Fields floor looks like it’s Russell Wilson. He’s gonna get hard to stop. He’s gonna tire defenses, and if you get him stops he can keep the ball out of opposing QBs hands with long frustrating drives.
Fields' floor is that of an elite QB who could actually pass? LMAO

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
the qb of the 32nd ranked passing offense isn't getting 300 million....good news is they have 3 years left on rookie deal + 2 franchise tags if needed
2 years left on rookie contract. same as most rookie contracts where the team is given the option of retaining for a 5th year.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I understand it in the media, from this angle:

Creating uncertainty about the Quarterback position will only drive up the price of the #1 overall pick.

The Bears are going to do the smart play here.

They will feign uncertainty, get as much as they can for the #1 overall, which will for sure include a 2024 first round pick, and then will build around Fields this year.

If Fields' legs continue to be special and the passing improves, they will keep him. If not, they will trade up in 2024 and try to get one of the top 2 QBs in that draft.

Its the smartest play.

Now what I don't understand are fans wanting to trade Fields - even if you intend to draft a QB, the #1 overall pick has inherently more return than what you will get for Fields. You're better off giving Fields another year and trading out of the #1, but securing 1 if not 2 first round picks next year (in addition to the Bears' own) to hedge bets and trade up for a better QB prospect than you can find in this year's draft anyway if Fields does indeed fail...
I agree with every word you wrote, glad someone here has a brain.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Fields, even though he is not a good passer, can win games against the non-elite defenses with his running ability. His elite rushing ability will not have the Bears getting a # 1 overall pick.
Why does everyone say JF isn't a good passer? Go look at his college tape when playing with some legit starters and talent. Call me after you do.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
The idea that we can just "get" Caleb Williams next season if Fields disappoints seems really stupid to me.

If Poles wants his own QB, this is the year for him to draft that player. We're picking #1 overall.
What if he and his staff aren’t all that sold on Young, Stroud or Levis, for that matter?

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
What if he and his staff aren’t all that sold on Young, Stroud or Levis, for that matter?
Then of course you stick with Fields. And Fields becomes his guy, and Fields' success would be a big part of Poles' resume.

Personally, I don't see it with Levis/Stroud over Fields. That wouldn't make sense to me.

But picking #1 overall bring Bryce Young into the conversation as well, and I think that warrants consideration from Poles.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Fields, even though he is not a good passer, can win games against the non-elite defenses with his running ability. His elite rushing ability will not have the Bears getting a # 1 overall pick.
It did this year in a record breaking running year!

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
There are also going to be teams who don't want to fork over 300 million on one position. See Ravens and Lamar Jackson

Fields is going on year 3. His time is clicking on his rookie contract
I certainly wouldn’t pay him top tier money in fact I wouldn’t pay him tier 2 or 3 money if I’m trying to build a consistent winner

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Please compare his weapons (including offensive line) with the weapons on the 49ers.

Now THEY have weapons.

Do you think Purdy would be doing so well if he were playing on the Bears without the 49ers' offensive line, rushing and receiving threats?

Do you think the Fields would have done so poorly in the passing game if he played for the 49ers with their offensive line, defense (yes, a good defense helps an offense), offensive weapons and play caller?
Maybe not but maholmes had a shitty line last year and his wr’s this year are average at best

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
This year was an intentional tank.
Point taken!

Having said what I did, Fields talent is so great that if he just gets to playoffs and healthy, he could take over any game and beat any team with his heroics