Poles: Monty is coming back

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
meh. I feel like he can be easily replaced by a RB in rounds 3-4, if we went that route. What he brings to the table isn't rare.
We have the cap; I would rather keep the sure thing in Monty and take our 5-tech in the 3rd or 4th round.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
@dentfan What do you think bears should do?
I’m all for signing him to about 5 mil a year. I’d then see if he can also lead block. We also should still pick up a complimentary back. His blocking and pass catching make him worth it.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Monty, team chemistry means a lot on a young team. Tell you the truth Im not sure Forman is better.
The Monty decision is so interesting to me. He does everything well but he's a career 3.9 YPC guy who in a normal year i would prob move on from. Obviously contract details matter but i think Poles is at a point right now where he can't afford to let go of every beloved figured in that locker room. The stuff said by Johnson, Jackson and Jones... All of these guys know its a business but at the same time that doesn't stop them getting pissed at how a locker room is messed with. Poles needs to earn a little trust with these guys who predate him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I love Montgomery, but there's a reason Herbert averaged 1.7 yards per carry MORE than Montgomery. The Bears want to run the outside zone. It's what the OL is best at blocking. Even before this regime, Herbert was a 1/2 yard better per carry than Monty. He's simply a better runner. And he's a better runner because he's more explosive and faster. The Bears need to get more explosive and faster than Montgomery, while also getting a guy that can pass protect the way he can. The lack of WR talent available to help this pass game is added reason to seek out a more explosive, receiving RB. They have to do something to add to the weapons. Kmet isn't going anywhere. You have 4 WRs coming back, at least. If you can't get a true stud WR, get a true stud RB. I'll follow Montgomery wherever he goes, but the Bears should probably move on.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
At the right price, he provides a ton of things. He already knows the system; he is a solid pass blocker, route runner, and receiver; and a decent though flawed runner (esp in the zone system), and he is a great locker room guy.

To me, you simply can't trust Herbert to do anything other than carry the ball at an NFL level. You certainly cannot trust the vast majority of rookies to be able to pass block and run routes. With where Fields and the org are at, to my mind you absolutely need to have a guy who know is going to hit his blocking assignment and catch passes back there. I also think that the Bears will and should value continuity in a year where there will be so little of it.

I admit I just admire the guy as a person and as a player, and so that may cloud my judgment here. But the good outweighs the bad at the stage of development Fields and the Bears are at imo. I'd say at $20m/3 years with the last year essentially not guaranteed, he's worth it.

Tom Paris

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Sporting Kansas City
  1. Boston Celtics
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Iowa Hawkeyes
I might be in the minority but I'm not going to be upset if the Bears end up with Barkley or Jacobs either. Nothing wrong with adding an elite back to that offense, imo.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We have the cap; I would rather keep the sure thing in Monty and take our 5-tech in the 3rd or 4th round.

What do we mean by "sure thing"?

He's just an average back in the NFL. It doesn't take long at all to replace a guy like Monty. In his 4 seasons with the Bears, the highest he's ranked in terms of yards per carry has been 29th in the league. Take out the QBs, and it was actually 27th, which still isn't amazing. As a receiving back, he isn't really much better or worse than the average back either.

We regularly see RBs drafted in the 3rd round and beyond that end up being very productive for their teams.

Khalil herbert was taken in the 6th, Stevenson in the 4th, Pollard in the 4th, Aaron Jones 5th, Allgeier 5th, Mostert undrafted, Pacheco 7th, Pierce 4th, etc. The list goes on.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Barkley, Pollard, Monty. I would target RBs in that order. No more than a 3 year deal for either one with Barkely ar 12m AAA, Pollard 9 and Monty 7m. Whoever accepts those parameters.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I like Monty as a 3rd down back or used as a receiving threat out of the backfield or even better motioned into the slot when they get man coverage with a LB. Don’t like him as a feature back but that’s probably what he wants (and deserves, paycheck wise). Bears running game was more explosive and frankly dangerous with a faster back though who can punish defenses for the 1-2 step hesitation Fields threat of running causes.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
If Herbert doesn’t improve his hands or his blocking, they need to move on from him as well. He can’t block and can’t catch.
I wouldn't consider moving on from him until his contract is up. He's far too valuable as a runner to simply get rid of—highest yards per carry average of any running back in football this season.

Liked Posts:
You don't pay average RBs with injury histories, they teach you that day 1 of GM school, it's one of the easiest positions to backfill in the later rounds.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You don't pay average RBs with injury histories, they teach you that day 1 of GM school, it's one of the easiest positions to backfill in the later rounds.
He's missed 6 games in 4 years. I'm not sure that qualifies for an injury history.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
JF was # 7 in rushing yards in the entire NFL with 100 - 200 fewer carries. I think Dalvin Cook had less than 10 more yards rushing with over 100 more carries.
Jeez i was wondering what the hell he was talking about with herbert...

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The Monty decision is so interesting to me. He does everything well but he's a career 3.9 YPC guy who in a normal year i would prob move on from. Obviously contract details matter but i think Poles is at a point right now where he can't afford to let go of every beloved figured in that locker room. The stuff said by Johnson, Jackson and Jones... All of these guys know its a business but at the same time that doesn't stop them getting pissed at how a locker room is messed with. Poles needs to earn a little trust with these guys who predate him.
Yes, I think that's important, they lost a lot of credibility moving on from, Mack, Quinn and Roquan.