Poles open to drafting Fields replacement

Username

Liked Posts:
Worst Article of All Time. What a lack of effort! Complete shit. The author's brain is devoid of intelligence. Complete dogshit.
Stupid. A complete waste of time. Reading this will be one of my great regrets in Life. The author should have his hands removed.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If Ryan Poles legitimately believes CJ Stroud or Bryce Young will be better than Justin Fields, yes, he should trade Fields and draft one of those guys at #1.

That said, even if Poles was 100 percent committed to Fields as *the guy* moving forward, he HAS TO make it seem like it's at least possible the Bears might hold onto the #1 pick and grab a QB. It can only help the pick's value if competitors think it might be used on a QB, and it can only hurt the pick's value if you make it known it's not going to be used on a QB.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Worst Article of All Time. What a lack of effort! Complete shit. The author's brain is devoid of intelligence. Complete dogshit.
Stupid. A complete waste of time. Reading this will be one of my great regrets in Life. The author should have his hands removed.

He uses talk-to-type..

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is more a boost to Fields than anything else.

Also, the GM is going to negotiate a trade from a position of power. He's not going to shut the door on drafting instead of trading.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I'll bring the chainsaw.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Poles has to say that to keep everyone guessing. There are a lot of teams looking for QBs. Fields isn't going anywhere.
Good point. But Poles seems to have a tendency to alienate players. Sometimes it's better to keep quiet.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
but I thought we already have a thread about management backing up Fields and therefore no chance we can draft a QB. All the CCS homeboys who don't watch college football already said so.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Poles doesn't HAVE to say this. Does anyone think that the Jag's GM would say that they would look into drafting a QB if they were blown away? In fact, I don't think any team would ever say they'd be willing to draft a QB if they were "blown away" while already having a young QB they truly believed in.

Were the Cardinals keeping people "guessing" when they said they were happy with Rosen, but would do their due diligence on everyone, including Kyler Murray? When it became apparent that the Cardinals weren't willing to trade the 1st pick, it was obvious that they were looking to replace Rosen a year after drafting him 1st overall.

If Poles ACTUALLY wanted to draft a QB, he wouldn't want to trade the pick. So if he were floating that pick, people would know he's full of shit and he's leaving no one guessing. Plus, he doesn't need to use his own interest for trade negotiations. He can use other teams against each other. That's the benefit of having the number 1 pick. Using 2 division rivals (Houston and Indy) against each other is more than enough to get what you need out of the trade.

After Mariota's rookie year (when he looked promising), the titans had the #1 pick. They didn't float the idea that they would take a QB (Goff or Wentz) if they were blown away. They just traded it to the Rams for two 1s and two 2s.

So if we approach the draft and the news is that the Bears aren't interested in trading the pick, I would assume they are taking a QB. Otherwise, it makes no sense to not trade down to at least Houston, get more picks in return, and still get your guy.

I'd trust Poles with what he's saying here. This isn't a smokescreen. He has been happy with JF's progress, but he'll take a QB if he likes one enough. And he's gotta pump up Fields' stock, just in case he does in fact draft a QB and needs to then trade Fields to get as much as he can for him. The same as what the Cardinals did after they drafted Murray and raved about how good Rosen was and then traded him for 2 picks.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Essentially Poles is saying that if Caleb Williams figures out a loophole and manages to work his way into the 2023 draft, Poles would have to think really hard about taking him. We're talking T. Lawrence/C. Williams level here. None of this year's QBs are anywhere near that level.

Now if Caleb Williams could just figure out how to work his way into the 2023 supplemental draft, the world would get really interesting....

Last edited:

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Poles would be doing himself a huge disservice if he does not communicate that he is considering a QB at #1 (or really any potential position) and make it a big talking point from now to the draft. His goal is to get as many other teams to think that the Bears are going to take their guy at #1 or any other position they might trade down to in order to incentivize offers and trades up to ensure the Bears don't take their guy. The fact this author can't understand this logic is a testament to his analytical thinking skills.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
What Poles say for public consumption is totally different what other managers throughout the NFL hear. That's how deals are done.