POLL: Are you upset we traded Roquan away?

Are you upset we traded Roquan away?

• Total voters

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just getting a pulse of CCS since there's like, 30 pages about Roquan and I have no time to read half of the stuff, let alone 2 pages.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Not upset at all. It was the right move.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Bears defense will miss him this year, and probably next year as well.

That being said I’m glad poles didn’t give him the contract he wants. Bears don’t need to build around an off ball LB. Build a d line, and hopefully the young players in the secondary take another step forward next year which could make the defense at least be average.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never thought he excelled in pass coverage. I know his average yards after reception was low, but I always felt like he should have defended more of them and stopped the catch altogether.
I’ll miss him on blitzes though. It’s like he’s shot out of a cannon sometimes.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No matter how good he is, I don't feel right about paying a LB 20 mil per season. I'm of the mindset that if your QB/LT/WR/3-TECH/EDGE/CB are your best players, that's a winning formula in the NFL in 2022.

If I was a GM, I'd probably never draft a LB/S/RB/TE/G/C early in the 1st, unless I thought they were a generational talent.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I view it. So while I don't like seeing a good player leave, it kind of lines up with the way I think about personnel in football. Subtracting Roquan and adding Claypool is a win for me.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm happy. I'm happy he turned down the offer. We dodged that anchor around the neck.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
No, since the offseason my view has been if the Bears arent going to re-sign him before the season then they need to trade him. Not sure if Poles could have got more for him with a trade in the offseason but better late than never.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just getting a pulse of CCS since there's like, 30 pages about Roquan and I have no time to read half of the stuff, let alone 2 pages.
Why are we talking about a Ravens off the ball linebacker our coach hates because he’s seen a real linebacker in Indy?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
It doesn’t matter how I feel, he didn’t fit the defense they’re trying to build. , at least as the highest paid lb in the nfl.

Thank god we have a GM who’s not a beta and won’t overpay contracts that aren’t earned.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
He did himself no favors by not having an agent and airing out his frustration with brass on Twitter.

But I feel he's an underrated player and we're going to notice soon enough with piss poor tackling on this team.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm not happy with the process of how it ended. Poles is trying to make it sound as if they couldn't find common ground with Roquan and therefore needed to move on. Yet at the same time, Poles admitted that he gave his final offer right before the season started and had not re entered negotions with Roquan.

Sounds to me there was a half-assed effort to see if they could get him at a really good price and if not they were more interested in moving off of him. There wasnt much of a push to keep him or to even have a conversation with him before trading him. Decision was already made. Poles didnt really look to find common ground.

We could have easily kept Roquan on the team under the franchise tag and had another 1.5 offseasons at minimum to come to an agreement, do a proper and thorough evaluation, and then have a better idea of what his value is in Eberflus' defense. Instead, final offer was made months ago, silence through the season, and BAM! traded.

czman

Liked Posts:
I felt he was worth about 11 or 12 million a year. If he wanted much more than that he should be traded.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have won zero playoff games with him. NEXT.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Sounds to me there was a half-assed effort to see if they could get him at a really good price and if not they were more interested in moving off of him. There wasnt much of a push to keep him or to even have a conversation with him before trading him. Decision was already made. Poles didnt really look to find common ground.

Say what???
The Bears allegedly offered him what he asked for but with de-escalators. Getting what he wanted with the requirement to be good wasn't good enough for Smith.
Why is it Poles' problem to find "common ground"? Smith was the one not budging. There was no common ground to find. There was give Smith exactly what he wants or trade him.
Smith even went as far as illegally shopping himself.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Say what???
The Bears allegedly offered him what he asked for but with de-escalators. Getting what he wanted with the requirement to be good wasn't good enough for Smith.
Why is it Poles' problem to find "common ground"? Smith was the one not budging. There was no common ground to find. There was give Smith exactly what he wants or trade him.
Smith even went as far as illegally shopping himself.
It's Poles problem to find common ground because he is incentivised to keep good players on the Bears roster. Otherwise, he has to go out and find a replacement and be graded on that.

The thing is, we didn't have to find common ground right now. Roquan has stated publicly he would happily play under the franchise tag. We had time to see if the conversation shifted and if both sides could find an agreement. To end it prematurely tells me Poles wasn't really that interested in keeping him.

If it was just a matter of "deescalators" than you would think they were close in negotiations. But from the sounds of it, it was likely more to it since Poles claims he didn't forsee reaching common ground, hence being far apart.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A very good player and at 25.... a lot of thread still on the tires. But....he thinks he is an elite NFL linebacker and wants to be paid like one. At this point, he is not elite and not worth over paying.