Poll: Best 5 OL on the Bears

Who are the best 5 OL on the Bears?

• Total voters

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Coaches always talk about putting the best 5 offensive linemen on the field. Due to position limitations, sometimes it isn't possible. But it got me thinking, who are the best 5 offensive linemen on the Bears, regardless of position? It's actually pretty tough, but I'm interested to see the result of the poll and your thoughts. Keep in mind, we've seen 1 game of Jordan Mills and haven't seen much of Scott.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I really wish that Webb has some knee bend to him. He is a solid run blocker but plays LT like a girl. He forgets how to be physical. Had he the ability to play lower, he would be a good choice at RG, and Long could play LG.

Garza is only useful for his experience, his physical play has deteriorated too much. He gets pushed back by smaller players and cant successfully pull anymore. He needs to think about retiring with his dignity intact.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It is rather tough to decide the best 5 at the moment. I'm expecting Brown and Britton to look better than they have so far this preseason. Last game, per PFF, Brown was the 2nd best pass blocker, but worst run blocker.

PFF ratings for Bears/Chargers game:

Overall Grade Ranking
Long - PB 0.5, RB 5.1
Mills - PB -0.2, RB 1.6
Garza - PB 0.1, RB 0.2
Slauson - PB -0.5, RB .03
Britton - PB -0.6, RB -0.5
Webb - PB -0.3, RB -0.9
Bushrod - PB -0.5, RB -1.0
Brown - PB 0.4, RB -2.4

PB Grade Ranking
Long - PB 0.5, RB 5.1
Brown - PB 0.4, RB -2.4
Garza - PB 0.1, RB 0.2
Mills - PB -0.2, RB 1.6
Webb - PB -0.3, RB -0.9

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
It is rather tough to decide the best 5 at the moment. I'm expecting Brown and Britton to look better than they have so far this preseason. Last game, per PFF, Brown was the 2nd best pass blocker, but worst run blocker.

Overall Grade Ranking
Long - PB 0.5, RB 5.1
Mills - PB -0.2, RB 1.6
Garza - PB 0.1, RB 0.2
Webb - PB -0.3, RB -0.9

Brown - PB 0.4, RB -2.4

PB Grade Ranking
Long - PB 0.5, RB 5.1
Brown - PB 0.4, RB -2.4
Garza - PB 0.1, RB 0.2
Mills - PB -0.2, RB 1.6
Webb - PB -0.3, RB -0.9

Webb for Left Tackle!!

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Brown get a shot at LG where Slauson has been meh. Brown actually played good at LG after he had problems at RG, though it was against second stringers. When the Bears line did struggle vs the Chargers, Garza & Slauson were the consistent culprits, & were absolutely horrible on the first drive of the game. I'd like to see Brown get a shot at LG before it's too late, I doubt it will happen though. Slauson did settle down after the first drive & was good enough, & I'd imagine Kromer wants what he put out there vs the Chargers to gel for the regular season if all goes fairly well on Friday.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Overall Grade Ranking
Long - PB 0.5, RB 5.1
Mills - PB -0.2, RB 1.6
Garza - PB 0.1, RB 0.2
Webb - PB -0.3, RB -0.9
Brown - PB 0.4, RB -2.4

PB Grade Ranking
Long - PB 0.5, RB 5.1
Brown - PB 0.4, RB -2.4
Garza - PB 0.1, RB 0.2
Mills - PB -0.2, RB 1.6
Webb - PB -0.3, RB -0.9

That's interesting, thanks!

I'd say LT to RG is decided in the fans minds and probably coaches too.

It'll be interesting watching the RT's in the next game. Does Webb have the "je ne sais quoi" to rebound and be a man? Does Mills progress/regress?

Stay tuned Bears fans!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I went with the current starters except for Boggs. Garza is likely more effective right now because of experience and line calls but I think Boggs looks good. Both are likely smaller than Kromer prefers.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
tarp-30198.jpg

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
LT, C, and RG are set imo. I THINK Slauson will win the LG spot and Mills will win the RT spot, but if one of them plays terribly this week Trestman might put someone else in to see how that combination works out.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I'm still interested in seeing this OL:

Bushrod - Brown - Slausen - Long - Mills

I could see this lineup for the next 3 -4 years.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:

IDK if Slauson can make calls at the line w/his speech impediment.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Interesting that the current starting 5 are leading the poll. Don't really think Garza is in the top 5. He really sucks. Mills is borderline. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been more sporadic and uneven.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Speech impediment? What impediment does he have?

He has a debilitating stutter or Tourette's or something. I watched a segment on it when we signed him. I'm out right now but ill dig it up later if no one finds it before then.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Interesting that the current starting 5 are leading the poll. Don't really think Garza is in the top 5. He really sucks. Mills is borderline. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been more sporadic and uneven.
For my 5th choice, I was really struggling between Garza, Brown and Britton. Last game Garza was playing better. But I still expect Brown and Britton to show some stuff these next preseaon games.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;GiYH8UU5zvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiYH8UU5zvQ[/video]

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Take a look at this interesting article I found.

Callahan noticed Slauson’s speech impediment, and watched over the years as the guard slowed down his sentences to make the stutter less of a hindrance. The better Matt knows someone, the less it seems to happen.

It certainly wasn’t a problem on the field.

Even now, Slauson visits kids in his father’s district who face the same issue, and now he can tell them that it won’t lock you out of the NFL.

Read more .....

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Well that's good. I wasn't sure what the extent of it is and I know a lot of psychophyiscal conditions like that can be aggravated by stress, and football is obviously a stressful game, so it seemed like a risk to me. I just imagined him not being able to get off an important 3rd down call in the 4th quarter in Lambeau and someone comes free off the left side and sticks Jay's face in the ground.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It's not that bad and probably a non issue when barking calls as opposed to just speaking. Not this year but if we resign him, you never know. He's gotten snaps there. I wonder if that affects Boggs making the 53?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really wish that Webb has some knee bend to him. He is a solid run blocker but plays LT like a girl. He forgets how to be physical. Had he the ability to play lower, he would be a good choice at RG, and Long could play LG.

Garza is only useful for his experience, his physical play has deteriorated too much. He gets pushed back by smaller players and cant successfully pull anymore. He needs to think about retiring with his dignity intact.

Why do you want Long at left guard? The right guard has to handle more 1 on 1 match ups and goes up against the other team's 3 technique... Seems logical to me that you would want your strongest mauler at right guard. He can pull either way for run support and if he's really athletic, he can get to the second level and spring the running backs for some big gains.