Pompei: "Everyone is best served with (Fields) on the bench"

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
And you blame others for mental gymnastics. Dalton wasn’t trying to draw a PI and not all balls have to be accurate to create one. Point being is 38 yards we’re giving to the bears because of Eli Apples mistake because before then Dalton kept throwing short while mooneys and Monty got yac to pick up the only two first downs they had on that drive. It was 3rd and 12 when Apple stupidly drew that penalty. At that time Dalton threw for 24 YARDS. How is that moving the ball or playing well? He literally Kyle orton’ed his way to a score before a huge penalty .

His second drive wasn’t much better. It was second and 12 after a false start, Dalton missed a pass to Monty only for another penalty to bail the offense out again because of taunting. He then completed more short passes while cincy got two more penalties. Dalton ended the day with 54 yards.
That is not moving the ball no matter how you try to spin it

At this point it doesn’t matter. It appears Dalton will be going on IR, so there’s no point in this discussion. I do think if it was so easy to “Kyle Orton” your way down the field the 11th pick should be able to do it too. And yes I know Allen Robinson dropped a TD pass but Justin also played more than one drive healthy, and I honestly expect this to be his floor.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't believe people are arguing about who's better right now. This has nothing to do with Andy Dalton and everything to do with what's best for Fields. Who was better this game is immaterial. It does not predict who will be better next one. Fields has a lot more value added in terms of physical attributes and how a D needs spread to protect the entire field. The run game should improve with Fields, the deep game should improve with Fields, you can run more plays with Fields.

It's apples and oranges and the idea was simply to not overload him early with Pro Ds, game prep routine, road protocol etc. A few weeks is all that takes and he's now seen enough of it. There is absolutely no reason to go back to Dalton at this point. Just let Justin prep like the starter and suspect there will be more feast than famine. My biggest concern will be him taking too many hits holding the ball and making plays but he's built as well for it as any QB.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Are you being disingenuous or serious? He got hurt on his second drive? He was literally 1/1 on healthy drives.
It is you who being disingenuous by trying to say that, just because Dalton scored the first time, he had to have scored every time.

Want facts, not some made up shit like WCBF 'facts'?

1. Dalton was injured on his 3rd drive, not 2nd. He also had an unsuccessful 4th drive. That sure changes the chances of him scoring a TD because he scored on his first drive, doesn't it?
  2. When Dalton was injured on the 3rd drive, he got to the Bears 49 yard line. How can you say that he was sure to score when he had not even gotten to the enemy's territory?

I know that it sucks being wrong, but sometimes, it shows more character admitting that you got one wrong instead of standing on your hill acting like a male Karen at the local grocery store demanding his rights.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It is you who being disingenuous by trying to say that, just because Dalton scored the first time, he had to have scored every time.

Want facts, not some made up shit like WCBF 'facts'?

1. Dalton was injured on his 3rd drive, not 2nd. He also had an unsuccessful 4th drive. That sure changes the chances of him scoring a TD because he scored on his first drive, doesn't it?
  2. When Dalton was injured on the 3rd drive, he got to the Bears 49 yard line. How can you say that he was sure to score when he had not even gotten to the enemy's territory?

I know that it sucks being wrong, but sometimes, it shows more character admitting that you got one wrong instead of standing on your hill acting like a male Karen at the local grocery store demanding his rights.
You are literally wrong. Andy was injured on his second drive, and attempted to come back out for his third drive. Maybe get your facts straight before accusing me of making shit up. Also he was injured at the Cinncy 37 yard line.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You are literally wrong. Andy was injured on his second drive, and attempted to come back out for his third drive. Maybe get your facts straight before accusing me of making shit up. Also he was injured at the Cinncy 37 yard line.
Ok, you are right and I was wrong in regards to which possession Dalton was injured and where he got the team to when he was injured. I read the stats wrong on another site.

My bad.

That does change things. However, getting from the 37 to the endzone is not even close to a given, especially since Dalton was getting a third of his yards with his feet. The defense would become compressed in the red zone, not allowing him to pick up those 11 and 14 yard gains so easily.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Ok, you are right and I was wrong in regards to which possession Dalton was injured and where he got the team to when he was injured. I read the stats wrong on another site.

My bad.

That does change things. However, getting from the 37 to the endzone is not even close to a given, especially since Dalton was getting a third of his yards with his feet. The defense would become compressed in the red zone, not allowing him to pick up those 11 and 14 yard gains so easily.
Why the need to put Dalton down? Forget the argument….your basis for it makes zero sense anyway…

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Why the need to put Dalton down? Forget the argument….your basis for it makes zero sense anyway…
I saw that Dalton got 9 of 11 completed and everyone said he had a great game.

The reality is that he had 56 yards passing and 25 yards rushing in 27 minutes of play.

Him getting first downs was certainly a nice thing to see, but his stats were not something to anoint him starter material.

I am not putting him down. I am just pointing out that what Dalton did was not something special like people seem to be saying.

Fields, having a poor performance, had better stats than Dalton both passing and rushing with key drops.

Imagine what a good performance would look like for Fields compared to Dalton's good performance which, apparently, was Sunday's performance.

If people are honest and say that Dalton improved a lot from week 1 to week 2 but say that he can be much better than week 2, ok, I can be satisfied with that. However; that talk of Dalton having a good game week 2 is setting an extremely low bar for what good is.

At that point, I do not see why sending out Dalton for a 150 yard passing 50 yard rushing good game would be better than watching Fields grow from a 130 yard passing 60 yard rushing bad game. At least, Fields would get to practice with the ones and gain experience on the field.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I saw that Dalton got 9 of 11 completed and everyone said he had a great game.

The reality is that he had 56 yards passing and 25 yards rushing in 27 minutes of play.

Him getting first downs was certainly a nice thing to see, but his stats were not something to anoint him starter material.

I am not putting him down. I am just pointing out that what Dalton did was not something special like people seem to be saying.

Fields, having a poor performance, had better stats than Dalton both passing and rushing with key drops.

Imagine what a good performance would look like for Fields compared to Dalton's good performance which, apparently, was Sunday's performance.

If people are honest and say that Dalton improved a lot from week 1 to week 2 but say that he can be much better than week 2, ok, I can be satisfied with that. However; that talk of Dalton having a good game week 2 is setting an extremely low bar for what good is.

At that point, I do not see why sending out Dalton for a 150 yard passing 50 yard rushing good game would be better than watching Fields grow from a 130 yard passing 60 yard rushing bad game. At least, Fields would get to practice with the ones and gain experience on the field.
He was already the starter. No need to anoint him as such again.

The point others are making is that Dalton did nothing to show he wasn’t starter material this last game. And he certainly showed, at least to start the season, that he was the better choice at QB. If you’re going to go purely by stats and not the eye test ( which is foolish)…Fields was a lot worse in that respect too.

All moot because of injury though. Now it isn’t Dalton’s job to lose, it it Fields job to keep. And all of us are hoping he does exactly that.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

My bad.

It happens we all make mistakes.

I just think Andy probably gives us a better shot to win, it doesnt matter though seeing as he is an IR candidate and Justin has a very strong chance to start with against the Brownies. I think he will and expect him to look much sharper with time with the 1s but dont know if he is ready for a huge road start against a hostile crowd.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It happens we all make mistakes.

I just think Andy probably gives us a better shot to win, it doesnt matter though seeing as he is an IR candidate and Justin has a very strong chance to start with against the Brownies. I think he will and expect him to look much sharper with time with the 1s but dont know if he is ready for a huge road start against a hostile crowd.
The only one who doesn't make mistakes is the one who never does anything, or so I heard.

If the defense were the 2018 defense, playing Dalton over a developing Fields would have a ton of support because that defense just needed average play from Dalton and I believe, with some of Nagy's best play calling, that could have been achieved especially the short fields the defense caused this year.

This year's defense just seems a lot more shaky with big gains suddenly making the game a 10+ points from behind battle even with Dalton controlling the clock.

Let's hope for more of a Cincy rather than a LA defense that shows up (against those teams) more often.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
How would you feel if Hurts had a game where he threw for less than 120 yards and ran for 50 yards?

Would that be considered pretty good?

Well, that would have been Dalton's totals just doubling his pretty good performance.
Your stats don't really make much sense.

He was hurt once in the first half, missed some snaps, then didn't play in the 2nd half.

In the first half he was very efficient going 9/11 for 56 yards. Had a TD, no picks and no fumbles. He also had 25 yards on the ground.

Are you saying because his passing yards were low he wasn't good? Come on. Dalton was not a problem and his contributions in the first 1/2 helped the team get the win.

I get it. Many people are so excited about Fields that anything in the way of him being on the field is undesirable, but let's try to be objective. Dalton played well.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You learn more by doing than you do by watching.
I don't think this applies to all people in all jobs.

Some people do learn more from doing than watching, but that often that speaks to the lack of an adequate training program or that the task being asked to perform is relatively simple.

There are examples of both QBs sitting and starting right away that have succeeded. I really think it's all about the QB and what approach gives him the highest chance to succeed.

For Fields none of us have a clue. One can argue he came form a big college so should be ready, but on the other hand one can say he had a red shirt year behind Fromm at Georgia, so that appears to be a proven way he has succeeded.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Your stats don't really make much sense.

He was hurt once in the first half, missed some snaps, then didn't play in the 2nd half.

In the first half he was very efficient going 9/11 for 56 yards. Had a TD, no picks and no fumbles. He also had 25 yards on the ground.
He got hurt, missed some snaps similar to the snaps he might have missed with Fields coming in and running the Nagy way of using Fields (2 Monty runs and a rush). The other team ran the clock and he then came in again before leaving for good 3 plays later. The other team had the ball until after the 2 minute warning. That is basically the whole half.

How would you feel if Hurts was very efficient and got 56 yards and rushed for 25 yards in one half?

Are you saying because his passing yards were low he wasn't good? Come on. Dalton was not a problem and his contributions in the first 1/2 helped the team get the win.
I am not trying to say that he was terrible, because he wasn't, but I heard too much talk about how great he was. It was good because he did not go 3 and out until after he was injured.

The thing is that he did not go 3 and out against the Rams either. Any break on the defensive armor and the game can become out of reach with the Dalton offense quickly and that defense has become a question mark this year.

Dalton would have been the perfect QB for the Bears to have had in 2018 because he would have moved the ball, controlled the ball and scored some points which would have probably been enough for the Double Doink Game to never have happened because the Bears would have been protecting a small lead instead of relying on a kicker to win the game.

I am afraid that the 2021 defense is going to drop enough (hopefully not to the level of how they played against the Rams) and I am just thinking that the Dalton offense is ok, not great and is going to not have much of a chance at a comeback of 10 points or so.

I get it. Many people are so excited about Fields that anything in the way of him being on the field is undesirable, but let's try to be objective. Dalton played well.
Dalton played well enough to win IF the defense can play close to top 10 defense.

One Team

Liked Posts:
"Personally I see compelling arguments for both starting and the bench." THIS!!!! It's been that way since the day we drafted him and holds true for most rookie QB's. So many for some reason think there is only one way to make this work. That's not the case
Philosophically, you would expect most coaches that have gotten to this point would know this...which leads to the intangible part of player evaluation...a complicated matter that could be a target for 'AI' development, or equally as simple as looking at the guy's eyes in the off the field sessions and seeing either the 'absorption' or the dreaded 'glassy' eyes.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields wasn't very good (bad pick and fumble and 2 false starts by the qb)...however he got little help from his teammates and the playcaller (which is par for the course for that real estate agent)

He needs time to become great..... but.....is he best served by playing or sitting and watching?

I think its playing and think he has ability to overcome mistakes quickly.

However I'm fully convinced that the guy in charge won't get him to that level. Let Lazor (and others) coach him up and put him in the best position to succeed while the real estate agents gives sappy post game speeches, runs the egg toss and gives word salad bs press conf.

what is up eith this CCS orgasm for Lazor?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder what Danny Pompei thinks about these other rookie QBs...maybe they should all have taken a seat too??

2021-09-22_00h33_24.png

Funny how those 2 were drafted ahead of Fields.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I wonder what Danny Pompei thinks about these other rookie QBs...maybe they should all have taken a seat too??

View attachment 14160

Funny how those 2 were drafted ahead of Fields.

Peyton Manning threw INTs at an insane rate, but you could tell the dude was destined for greatness. It's only been two weeks to be able to tell that with the rookies this class. I feel bad for Lawrence. Urban Meyer is the wrong guy for the job. I'm not sure Wilson stands a chance with the Jets. They were fucking stupid to pass on Fields.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Peyton Manning threw INTs at an insane rate, but you could tell the dude was destined for greatness. It's only been two weeks to be able to tell that with the rookies this class. I feel bad for Lawrence. Urban Meyer is the wrong guy for the job. I'm not sure Wilson stands a chance with the Jets. They were fucking stupid to pass on Fields.
Fields should rock out with his cock out. interceptions aren't the end of the universe in your rookie campaign, especially when you reduce them later and play more refined (like P. Manning did). and if the other team can't capitalize by scoring points, oh well. Nagy's nerfing the offense right now for Dalton, you're not going to see what he's capable of. Fields isn't exactly the beneficiary of anything great when he plays either. Nagy needs to stop if a) he wants his team to win games and b) he wishes to keep his current job and not go back to selling real estate until he's in his 70s.

I'm still having difficulty comprehending how 3-5 games = "injured reserve". I'm all for progressive causes and shit, but changing the game at this level is really silly.

also can FOX lose the anime filter player portrait shit already? that was cool last year for about 11 days with nerds on facebook. it's not trendy, hip, clever, or even remotely amusing.