Pompei: "Everyone is best served with (Fields) on the bench"

Toast88

Liked Posts:
An excerpt from his Athletic article. Read more here:

The Bears’ 20-17 victory over the Bengals said what Matt Nagy cannot say: Justin Fields is still learning and everyone is probably best served with him on the bench. The truth isn’t always popular, but Nagy has played his quarterback cards well.

Fields played like the rookie he is. He failed to see Logan Wilson on his interception. He held the ball carelessly on a fumble. He moved before the snap and drew penalties twice. And he executed poorly on a quarterback sneak on fourth down.

All of it was necessary, like pain in a teenager’s knees. Fields had to go through Sunday to become the quarterback he is supposed to become.

Here are my other postgame thoughts.

It would have been nice to see Fields out of the pocket more, just as it would have been nice to see Mitch Trubisky out of the pocket more. And Fields’ experience and ability as a zone-read quarterback should not be ignored.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
First off I disagree not only with its best for Fields to be on the bench but that awful example of a teenagers knee pain? Like wtf does that mean?

Right now it’s showing Nagy can’t develop or even coach. He couldn’t develop Mitch and I don’t want him developing Fields and his players especially on offense make the same mistakes over and over. Fields doesn’t benefit from being on the bench because I doubt Nagy is really teaching anything. It really would be one thing if Nagy truly was like Reid who had a knack for developing QBs like Mcnabb, Kolb, Mahomes etc but Nagy can’t even adapt his plays to his players. Let Fields learn learn by experience, him holding a BE YOU clipboard won’t help the middling team

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't like the way Pompei has covered the Fields storyline. It really feels like he's just sticking to his own bias.
Dalton made a terrible decision on his INT the week prior and right next to the endzone. He also held the ball too long. The pre-snap penalty is something that is easily coachable and fixable and its actually a perfect example of why you should play Fields. That's something they now know about and can coach out of him. You have no shot of winning anything meaningful. There is zero point to playing Dalton. Dalton would have been a good choice any of the last few seasons. But not right now with Fields in the wings. Play him and evaluate him. Give him learning experiences.

Dalton gave you 7 points last week. Gave you 7 yesterday. What are we doing here?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First off I disagree not only with its best for Fields to be on the bench but that awful example of a teenagers knee pain? Like wtf does that mean?

Right now it’s showing Nagy can’t develop or even coach. He couldn’t develop Mitch and I don’t want him developing Fields and his players especially on offense make the same mistakes over and over. Fields doesn’t benefit from being on the bench because I doubt Nagy is really teaching anything. It really would be one thing if Nagy truly was like Reid who had a knack for developing QBs like Mcnabb, Kolb, Mahomes etc but Nagy can’t even adapt his plays to his players. Let Fields learn learn by experience, him holding a BE YOU clipboard won’t help the middling team

growing pains mein. he talkin about growing pains.

but anyway, I agree with everything the article says. Save that the answer is the bench.

Personally I see compelling arguments for both starting and the bench.

Not sure it's possible to say which would help Fields more without being at the bears facility, seeing his development first hand

greg23

Liked Posts:
Fields wasn't very good (bad pick and fumble and 2 false starts by the qb)...however he got little help from his teammates and the playcaller (which is par for the course for that real estate agent)

He needs time to become great..... but.....is he best served by playing or sitting and watching?

I think its playing and think he has ability to overcome mistakes quickly.

However I'm fully convinced that the guy in charge won't get him to that level. Let Lazor (and others) coach him up and put him in the best position to succeed while the real estate agents gives sappy post game speeches, runs the egg toss and gives word salad bs press conf.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Fields wasn't very good (bad pick and fumble and 2 false starts by the qb)...however he got little help from his teammates and the playcaller (which is par for the course for that real estate agent)

He needs time to become great..... but.....is he best served by playing or sitting and watching?

I think its playing and think he has ability to overcome mistakes quickly.

However I'm fully convinced that the guy in charge won't get him to that level. Let Lazor (and others) coach him up and put him in the best position to succeed while the real estate agents gives sappy post game speeches, runs the egg toss and gives word salad bs press conf.
agree 10000%

discplayer

Liked Posts:
That’s not how growing works
I figured he was referring to Osgood Schlatter's disease, a "common cause of knee pain in growing adolescents. It is an inflammation of the area just below the knee where the tendon from the kneecap (patellar tendon) attaches to the shinbone (tibia)."

Trust me. It ain't fun!

discplayer

Liked Posts:
But I don't think I'd use that analogy to frame Fields' day yesterday. OS can last for years. Justin's won't ;~)

Canth

Liked Posts:
I generally disagree with nearly everything Pompeii writes. Occasionally, he can make some decent observations, but for the most part, he just regurgitates what he hears from old contacts and adds little value to any conversation.

Another observation he made later in the article was: "The more Smith plays like he did Sunday, the more likely it is he gets the franchise tag instead of a long-term contract". How does that even make sense?

He also implied heavily that Dalton was a better runner than Montgomery and Fields due to averaging 12.5 yards/run - while ignoring it was for 2 runs and the last one results in Dalton hurting himself via a non-contact injury. I don't want to say that Dalton didn't play well. He did and he did have two really effective runs. But it's that lazy, no context crap from Pompeii that annoys me. He is comparing the results of 2 runs to the results of 30 runs behind that line, ignoring situational runs like short yardage and the kneel downs at the end.