Pompei: "Why didn't the Bears want Jim Harbaugh as head coach? It's a mystery."

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
See you’re doing it now! All negative about Harbaugh and all positive about Eberflus.

How about Harbaugh wins everywhere he goes, took 49ers to three straight championship games, only Andy Reid has better results.

Eberflus has done what exactly?

Just saying look at both sides to the coin. I prefer the site thing as this is the largest market team in the nfl (split NY), we should have the best.
This is what Bears fans do. Everyone else is overrated if they're not on the Bears.

Canth

Liked Posts:
See you’re doing it now! All negative about Harbaugh and all positive about Eberflus.

How about Harbaugh wins everywhere he goes, took 49ers to three straight championship games, only Andy Reid has better results.

Eberflus has done what exactly?

Just saying look at both sides to the coin. I prefer the site thing as this is the largest market team in the nfl (split NY), we should have the best.

I was actually agreeing with you that Harbaugh gets more negative slants, but just stating why I think that is happening with Harbaugh.

I don't doubt that Harbaugh is a hell of coach. My main concern with him is how long before he wears out his welcome. His personality doesn't seem to be one that will work long term in the NFL. He strikes me as a guy that is better suited for college where he can have that total control, the natural player turnover even of your best players means everyone can deal with him because it's only going to be 3-4 years.

Other questions I have: Can he actually win a Superbowl in that 3-4 year window before he wears out the welcome? Can he coach a modern NFL offense? His previous stint with the 49ers had a top 10 rushing attack, with a top 3 defense, and a shitty passing game. Yes, you can still win with that, but you have to be perfect for it to work all the way to a Superbowl win because you have little to no margin for error. And it normally isn't sustainable at the NFL level.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

A little preview:

Jim Harbaugh’s record as a head coach is 166-67.

Harbaugh went 49-22-1 as head coach of the 49ers. He took them to one Super Bowl and three championship games.

The reigning college coach of the year, Harbaugh is coming off a remarkable season at Michigan, having finished 12-2 and made it to the College Football Playoff before a loss to Georgia, the eventual national champion. His record at Michigan is 49-22.

His record at Stanford, a perennial loser before his arrival, was 29-21. He took the Cardinal to their first bowl game in eight years and gave them their first bowl game victory in 14. At the University of San Diego, he was 29-6.

Harbaugh is a proven head coach, a proven winner.

And he’s something else.

He’s a Bear.

But from all indications, he was not interviewed for their head coaching job.

This ranks higher on the mind-boggling scale than offering former center Olin Kreutz $15 an hour.

The fact that Harbaugh played for the Bears was not why he should have been interviewed. But the fact that he played seven years for the Bears after they chose him in the first round of the 1987 draft made him a stronger candidate. Harbaugh understands the Bears organization and its specific challenges better than almost any other declared candidate could have, except former Bear Leslie Frazier. Consideration of Harbaugh would have been a popular move with alumni, some of whom feel ignored or alienated by the team.

But there were better reasons he should have been a candidate.

Harbaugh is a natural-born leader. That was evident from his rookie training camp when he stood up to the teammate the others called “The King,” Dan Hampton. The defensive lineman took exception to Harbaugh’s running around and shoved him. Harbaugh shoved back. It wasn’t long before Harbaugh had followers of his own.
I can give you 100 million reasons.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is a common belief, in the NFL, about Harbaugh. It says he's not a leader of men but rather boys and thus needs to stay at the college level..

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I was actually agreeing with you that Harbaugh gets more negative slants, but just stating why I think that is happening with Harbaugh.

I don't doubt that Harbaugh is a hell of coach. My main concern with him is how long before he wears out his welcome. His personality doesn't seem to be one that will work long term in the NFL. He strikes me as a guy that is better suited for college where he can have that total control, the natural player turnover even of your best players means everyone can deal with him because it's only going to be 3-4 years.

Other questions I have: Can he actually win a Superbowl in that 3-4 year window before he wears out the welcome? Can he coach a modern NFL offense? His previous stint with the 49ers had a top 10 rushing attack, with a top 3 defense, and a shitty passing game. Yes, you can still win with that, but you have to be perfect for it to work all the way to a Superbowl win because you have little to no margin for error. And it normally isn't sustainable at the NFL level.

That is EXACTLY it.

You hire Harbaugh, and he's going to want a contract for 7-10 years for Gruden money. And he will be THE top dog in the organization.

He is a hell of a coach but has a reputation for quickly wearing out his welcome.

If he can't get it done in 3-4 years and then is out - not only are you then paying him top dollar to sit on his ass for the remainder of his contract, BUT your front office is still fucked because Harbaugh was THE guy.

At least with what the Bears are doing, they are modernizing their Front Office FINALLY, and making some damn good moves in both the front office and in the coaching staff.

This may sound weird, but I feel more comfortable bringing Harbaugh in to overhaul a complete dumpster fire where the front office and coaching staff was all shit for a long time, and a strong personality is needed to get everyone going in the same direction. Not that he was available, but he would have been a perfect post-Trestman hire.

But with what we just saw with Gruden, with where the Bears are at now in terms of team and in terms of the staff they are putting together, it just feels a lot more SOLID for the organization long term than hiring Harbaugh and winging it.

I'd imagine all of that is why the Bears passed on Harbaugh - they don't want to be right back here 3-4 years later, and instead are looking for lasting change.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
talk about ret-conning failed predictions

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yeah who would want a proven HC that put together an offense that featured Alex Smith and then Kaepernick? QBs with different skillsets and he had a system that he could get the best out of both of them? yeah who wants that? this team is so fucking stupid

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
0 all dicks were ripped when the Vikings were RUMORED to be interviewing. Sky deck on defcon 1 for jumpers.
drew made his way here, but he probably ripped it off at some point when Jones was dinking and dunking his way through the year

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
With Harbaugh it’s all “well look at all that could go wrong”. But with Eberflus it’s all “look at all that can go right”.

The Bears don’t make these type of power moves with higher risk because their fan base does not demand it.
Nah, it has nothing to do with the fan base. The Bears are run like a mom and pop shop from the 20s, they are stuck in their traditions. They aren't really results driven.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Harbaugh it’s all “well look at all that could go wrong”. But with Eberflus it’s all “look at all that can go right”.

The Bears don’t make these type of power moves with higher risk because their fan base does not demand it.

yeah, for sure. it's totally the fault of the fans

lmfao