Pompei: "Why didn't the Bears want Jim Harbaugh as head coach? It's a mystery."

Canth

Liked Posts:
its not really dumb logic.. You are going to pay a HC 8-10 mil per year and a GM 1-3 mil per year and the speculation with the new TV deals and the revenue that will generate the cost of HC is going to jump to around 15 mil per year and proven great HC is going to be closer to 25mil per year.. So where is the saving really? I guess if you fire him in year 3 or 4 then yes your going to eat a bigger chunk of change.. But if your current unproven GM/HC option doesnt work out your going to be back in the market for another GM/HC.. but now in a more expensive market.

Whats more likely, the unproven guys (that George loved) is going to crash and burn, vs the experienced guy that has had great success as a HC?

This isnt about worrying about the McCaskeys money, its about building a team that doesnt suck..

Prior to Michigan, Harbaugh hasn't been with any team for more than 4 years. To stay at Michigan, he had to take a massive pay cut. Even at Michigan, he has only been there 7 years and only in this last year did he actually win a conference championship. At Michigan. He has only won a single bowl game with Michigan in his first year there. His teams have been blown out of the last several bowl games.

In the NFL with the 49ers, their passing game was crap. Everyone talks about that he found a way to win with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick and ignores they only got above 3500 passing yards once (3551) and never came close to sniffing 4000 yards passing - the metric most consider a starting point for modern NFL offenses. The thing that the Bears have also never had and everyone talks about wanting to fix.

And you somehow think he has shown he deserves the job security of a 10 year fully guaranteed contract? I just don't understand giving him that level of security.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pro-football-reference has them ranked as 11th for all 3 of his playoff run years. Also yards do not win games points do, so I will take points over yards for production any day
No shit Sherlock and I'm sure field position doesn't help that ay all, LOL. Nagy was 8th in points with Fangio... and Mitch.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
its not really dumb logic.. You are going to pay a HC 8-10 mil per year and a GM 1-3 mil per year and the speculation with the new TV deals and the revenue that will generate the cost of HC is going to jump to around 15 mil per year and proven great HC is going to be closer to 25mil per year.. So where is the saving really? I guess if you fire him in year 3 or 4 then yes your going to eat a bigger chunk of change.. But if your current unproven GM/HC option doesnt work out your going to be back in the market for another GM/HC.. but now in a more expensive market.

Whats more likely, the unproven guys (that George loved) is going to crash and burn, vs the experienced guy that has had great success as a HC?

This isnt about worrying about the McCaskeys money, its about building a team that doesnt suck..

Yeah you are just pulling numbers out of your ass right now with 15-25m a year for a head coach. Don't think the Bears should project HC salaries based on what you think.

Harbaugh is unproven as a GM. Moreso than Poles since Poles at least has spent team in roles one would expect to have before making GM

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yeah you are just pulling numbers out of your ass right now with 15-25m a year for a head coach. Don't think the Bears should project HC salaries based on what you think.

Harbaugh is unproven as a GM. Moreso than Poles since Poles at least has spent team in roles one would expect to have before making GM

"If the NFL grosses $15 billion per year after its new TV deals kick in and the league grows more comfortable with gambling companies, that number for a good coach would be closer to $24 million per season."

I went ahead and sent them an email about the article saying that "Remy said no".. will let you know what I hear from them

TL1961

Liked Posts:
5 year HC contract and 5 year GM contract is still 10 years worth of contracts so not really seeing the problem here if 1 guy is handling both with a 10 year contract
You think he was going to fill both roles with no other people holding jobs?

You think the GM and HC today are each getting $10 million per year?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

"If the NFL grosses $15 billion per year after its new TV deals kick in and the league grows more comfortable with gambling companies, that number for a good coach would be closer to $24 million per season."

I went ahead and sent them an email about the article saying that "Remy said no".. will let you know what I hear from them

Right so one guys wild speculation. So I amend my statement. Barnwell is pulling numbers out of his ass.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You think he was going to fill both roles with no other people holding jobs?

You think the GM and HC today are each getting $10 million per year?
never said any of this