Pontoon/Tritoon

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone own one ? The wife has talked me into buying one . I wanted a deck/fun deck boat and she wants a pontoon. O'h well .........

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Depends what you want it for I guess. Pontoons are good for taking a lot of people with you. Or just cruising the lake, maybe fishing. My dad has had a Monterey 228 Si (23ft IIRC) for years. Was awesome as kids - did all sorts of tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, etc. It really only fits 6 comfortably though. Can seat up to 9, but it sucks.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anyone own one ? The wife has talked me into buying one . I wanted a deck/fun deck boat and she wants a pontoon. O'h well .........
Are you gonna get a triple tuber? Those fuckers ride nice and can handle waves with ease....heavy as hell to tow though.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends what you want it for I guess. Pontoons are good for taking a lot of people with you. Or just cruising the lake, maybe fishing. My dad has had a Monterey 228 Si (23ft IIRC) for years. Was awesome as kids - did all sorts of tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, etc. It really only fits 6 comfortably though. Can seat up to 9, but it sucks.
We want it for the all the water sports as you mentioned plus to fish with . I was at first thinking something set-up for more fishing but as I thought more about it I want one for mostly cruising, relaxing and spending time with the kids and grand kids. I'll just fish off the side of the thing.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you gonna get a triple tuber? Those fuckers ride nice and can handle waves with ease....heavy as hell to tow though.
It will be a Manitou tritoon . Good for 12 people

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The weekend before last, we stayed with some friends in WI that live on a lake and they just bought a 26' triple tuber. It has a 245 (or so) Merc on it and can pull a bunch of people behind it. Sweet boat.
And it was really comfortable, but If you're going to fish off it I think a pontoon would be better. Lower maintenance and can be moved buy a trolling motor much easier. And you can still tow a skier with a decent motor on it.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I almost sank a pontoon with my mother in law on it by cranking it too fast on lake dillon

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
all depends on the lake you will be using it on. My lake is pretty calm but sometimes the waves can get annoying so kind of wish I got a tritube. All we do is go to the middle of the lake drift and drink and smoke cigars so water sports was never in the equation. Have jet skis for all that stuff.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pontoon = Party Barge. They can be a lot of fun. Had friends who had one.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Used to be able to rent them on the river here at 600 n chicago but they seem to have folded during covid

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Pontoons can be had for dirt cheap, they are super easy to clean and maintain, and if it is your first boat or just an occasional distraction during the summer, it is ideal.

When we got our first boat (water sport specific) we almost pulled the trigger on a brand new setup...
But were warned away from it by wiser people.
We started with an older, less expensive model, and went through the learning curve with that.
Thank God we did, because novices inevitably have some spectacular screw ups.

After all the idiocy, we then decided to go big with something we could actually take care of.

If you guys plan on becoming boat people, pontoons are bush league. Those are for part timers or old people out on after dinner slow motion circuits of the lake.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Pontoons can be had for dirt cheap, they are super easy to clean and maintain, and if it is your first boat or just an occasional distraction during the summer, it is ideal.

When we got our first boat (water sport specific) we almost pulled the trigger on a brand new setup...
But were warned away from it by wiser people.
We started with an older, less expensive model, and went through the learning curve with that.
Thank God we did, because novices inevitably have some spectacular screw ups.

After all the idiocy, we then decided to go big with something we could actually take care of.

If you guys plan on becoming boat people, pontoons are bush league. Those are for part timers or old people out on after dinner slow motion circuits of the lake.
You do realize who you are replying to right?

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cancelled the tritoon. Getting a jet boat instead. Better for family to pull up on a sand bar, no propeller to deal with.