Post Press Conference Mock Offseason

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@WindyCity if Thaddeus Moss declares, would he be a fit in Nagy's offense?

Rotoworld has him as a day 3 prospect.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say I hate this plan so much as I would say that I really hate it. I think long term it sucks, it's kind of a "try to save our jobs" plan. Continually striving to be mediocre leaves you... Well, idk, mediocre?

That forth round pick has a much much much higher chance of some measure of success if it's any other position. I'll take a Bush/Jackson/Cohen type player over a practice squad QB.

And then there's Keenum. I mean, what's the hope here? He comes in when Mitch fails and leads them to 9-7? I'd rather see Bray as your ultra cheap backup and sink that money into another pass rusher, or TE, or WR, or CB etc.

As I've said before, throwing resources at Band-Aids only hurts you long term. Be patient and draft a guy in 21.

But ya, Pace probably does something like this because mediocrity doesn't get you fired.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it would be a huge mistake in a draft so deep at WR to not get one early. I consider an elite speed WR prospect more important than TE quite frankly and think a WR is more likely to be BPA in round 2 than TE.

Also, completely against trading away one of our 2nd round picks. Pace you are not smarter than everyone else. Sit and wait your turn and make the right decision when you opportunity comes.

Finally, no to spending that kind of money for a backup RB. Just use Nall or find an UDFA. Spending money any kind of money at RB is pretty dumb in this day and age unless they come with a 1,000 yard pedigree or are great catching out of the backfield.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like everything besides the trade up for a TE.

Question. Why?

There are 3-4 TE's that almost everyone is in debate over which is best.

One of them will be available with either of our 2nd round picks.

You know Ryan Pace is moving up. With no picks he moved up last season for a RB.

Conviction.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@WindyCity if Thaddeus Moss declares, would he be a fit in Nagy's offense?

Rotoworld has him as a day 3 prospect.

I think it depends on how he tests. He has really good hands, but I think they will want someone with a little dynamic juice.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Thanks for doing these, Windy. It's not an offseason til we have a Windy Mock.

With that said on this one: think you are overpaying Keenum at 9m a year, given his current and past contracts I think you can get him for 5-6 a pop. I'm not a fan of the trade up for a TE but I do see the logic behind it. NOT a fan of having 2 different RBs with the last name Montgomery.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, completely against trading away one of our 2nd round picks. Pace you are not smarter than everyone else. Sit and wait your turn and make the right decision when you opportunity comes.

Which is what kind of makes this a solid mock because it does really sound like something Ryan Pace will do.

He is in too deep now to not keep digging.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think it would be a huge mistake in a draft so deep at WR to not get one early. I consider an elite speed WR prospect more important than TE quite frankly and think a WR is more likely to be BPA in round 2 than TE.

Finally, no to spending that kind of money for a backup RB. Just use Nall or find an UDFA. Spending money any kind of money at RB is pretty dumb in this day and age unless they come with a 1,000 yard pedigree or are great catching out of the backfield.

I agree with the sentiment on a speed WR, but I just don't see it happening. The Bears WRs were a disaster just 2 years ago, but you have to remember they paid 14M/year for Robinson (and may be paying him again soon), 7M/year for Gabriel, traded multiple picks for Miller and drafted Ridley in the 4th last year. Wims wasn't a high pick, so I won't act like he was a huge investment, but there's still Patterson as well. That's a lot of investment into the WR position. I think the Bears may get more bang for their buck by throwing 2-5Mil/year at a guy like Demarcus Robinson or Philip Dorsett.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2[33] TE Cole Kmet [Notre Dame] 6'5" 255lbs.

Where do you see Kmet as far as all of the TEs coming out this year?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree with the sentiment on a speed WR, but I just don't see it happening. The Bears WRs were a disaster just 2 years ago, but you have to remember they paid 14M/year for Robinson (and may be paying him again soon), 7M/year for Gabriel, traded multiple picks for Miller and drafted Ridley in the 4th last year. Wims wasn't a high pick, so I won't act like he was a huge investment, but there's still Patterson as well. That's a lot of investment into the WR position. I think the Bears may get more bang for their buck by throwing 2-5Mil/year at a guy like Demarcus Robinson or Philip Dorsett.

Gabs is gone in this scenario. If you extend ARob then likely means Miller is gone. Part of the reason I hated the Miller pick is he is old as fuck. He is 25 and ARob is 26. So not really enough spread between the 2 so basically you ultimate need to decide whom it is better to extend and the answer is ultimately ARob. So Miller really isn't a long term solution at the position.

Wims and Ridley have shown jack shit and don't cost any money so hardly investments. Wims is in the same boat as Miller in that he is 25 so even if he blew up, hard to pay ARob and him given their are only 1 year apart in age and when they hit FA. What we need is a stud speed WR who will grow into the No 1 just as ARob's next contract is expiring. That is better for the long term development of this team IMO. Guys like Ruggs and Reagor are 20 or just turned 21. That is the kind of guy to target.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Gabs is gone in this scenario. If you extend ARob then likely means Miller is gone. Part of the reason I hated the Miller pick is he is old as fuck. He is 25 and ARob is 26. So not really enough spread between the 2 so basically you ultimate need to decide whom it is better to extend and the answer is ultimately ARob. So Miller really isn't a long term solution at the position.

Wims and Ridley have shown jack shit and don't cost any money so hardly investments. Wims is in the same boat as Miller in that he is 25 so even if he blew up, hard to pay ARob and him given their are only 1 year apart in age and when they hit FA. What we need is a stud speed WR who will grow into the No 1 just as ARob's next contract is expiring. That is better for the long term development of this team IMO. Guys like Ruggs and Reagor are 20 or just turned 21. That is the kind of guy to target.

Ruggs I think is gone top 20. Reagor is extremely interesting. He's in that Tyreke Hill, Mecole Hardman mold. If he's there, I'd seriously consider him, but outside of that I don't see anyone else worthy of a 2nd round pick with a must-have skillset. I'm assuming both will be gone.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I agree I’m not sold on any as a superstar. I still think Patterson should throw 15lbs on and be the guy for now. He can catch well he just isn’t a X or Y we.

very underrated.

The guy i Think Mitch needs is Parkinson the guy that fits Nagy is Washington’s TE
Patterson should definitely be used as a TE.

But Patterson doesn't need to add any weight (IMO). He's "only" 220lbs, but he's 28 and works with his size just fine; so I don't think you want to throw a possible monkey wrench in it. I don't think you can turn him into a Line TE just by asking him to bulk up. Plus you don't want to slow him down or cause an injury.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
At OP posts... Good work up, Windy.

I like going with Bush, Toliver and adding some economic solid competition from FA. But with Guard, OLB and TE, we should be getting top players.

I like the Keenum signing. Mitch could get injured, and if you can get a solid QB without breaking the bank, why not? It would be nice to have a run-option QB, but a better QB is more valuable.

As others have mentioned, I don't think we want to put "all our eggs in one basket" by burning the two 2nd Rd picks on a draft rookie TE selected by Pace. (I know Pace likes to trade up, but that's a scary move.) We need a for-sure TE, so why not get that in Free Agency? (& I'm not saying don't draft a TE)

In particular, I like the Kelly signing, and I really don't know how good Vaitai would be at RG, but if you think he's really good, then I'm cool with it... but there's no reason to take a lesser Guard in Free Agency.

Of course Pace needs to go BPA with these picks, but I really don't like skipping on OTs in the top part of the draft. Why would you do that? Do you think there aren't any worth it in the 2nd Rd?

Pace will fill the holes with FA, and go BPA in the draft, but I hope we take an OT with at least one of the 2nds. I don't mind trading down with the other and picking up a 3rd Rd, hopefully getting an OLB and WR (taking advantage of a strong WR year). Filling out the rest of the draft, also pick up a TE, RB and QB.

Last edited:

dag54

Liked Posts:
I would sign a good TE in free agency-(Ebron), and I would draft another tight end in the second round. Either Bryant or Hopkins. I wouldn't move up for a tight end, because you can get a good one at 43 or 50. I'd take Bryant at 43 and put him at U tight end because of the uncertainty of Trey Burton's health, and have Ebron play the Y. Then I'd take Niang at 50 and groom him to be the future left tackle when they move on from the pylon.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The Vaitai signing just seems like we are getting too cute. You could have Glasgow who is a bonafide interior lineman for the same or less money.

Glasgow and Niang is the answer for this O-line.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah, that would be a terrible off season with Case Keemun and Ty Montgomery. No to either.

I'm not down with Ty but definitely down with Keenum. We do need to get another RB to replace M.Davis and it needs to be one that's good at catching passes and with more speed and elusiveness than Monty but not TY IMO.