Post Press Conference Mock Offseason

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The objective of the NFLPA in implementing these Regulations is to enable players to make an informed selection of a Contract Advisor and to help assure that the Contract Advisor will provide effective representation at fair, reasonable, and uniformly applicable rates to those individual players the Contract Advisor represents, and to avoid any conflict of interest which could potentially compromise the best interests of NFL players.

(17) Act at all times in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of players;

(12) Concealing material facts from any player whom the Contract Advisor is representing which relate to the subject of the player’s individual contract negotiation;

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/RegulationsAmendedAugust2016.pdf

It is a clear conflict of interest of an agent to steer one client away from a team to benefit not that player but another player he represents. It is also a violation of his fiduciary responsibilities to said player and if not disclosed to Mariota would be concealing a material fact from him relative to his negotiations.

When you are negotiating for a given player, the only thing you should be considering is what is in the best interests of that player. So all that matters is the best interests of Mariota if he is negotiating on his behalf. The only time he should concern himself with Trubs best interest is if he is currently negotiating on behalf of Trubs which he isn't because Trubs already has a contract and is not in extension talks.

Now could a shady agent try to work around this? Sure. But again, it would be a violation and he would be subject to losing his license if found out.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If you are advising someone to go somewhere else to protect another client then yes you can lose your license if that were found out.

If Mariota says he wants to go to Chicago then the agent just shuts up and does it. It is asinine to lose the commission on a client to protect another one particularly when that other client is actually good or making you a lot of money.

You acting like Trubs is some prime client. He isn't. This is Mariota vs Mahomes. This is 2 currently failed QB prospects both of home have little long term value to this agent.

The agent is certainly not looking at it as 2 failed QB prospects. Both were starting QBs within the last 3 months. Both have hopes of being starting QBs for the long-term. Their agent wants that too, because starting QBs make a ton of money. Assuming nobody signs Mariota to a huge deal, both he and Trubisky will be FAs either after 2020 or 2021. If he has 2 clients on 1 team, they are competing against each other. If 1 is starting, the other isn't. If one plays well, the other isn't playing at all. If one is not playing, he isn't getting a big long-term deal. His job as an agent is to get each player maximum earnings. He can't do that for both clients if they are on the same team playing the same position that only plays one person at a time.

He's doing a disservice to Mitch if he tells Mariota, "Hey I think you can win this starting job in Chicago". He's doing Mariota a disservice if he lets him go to Chicago and Mitch wins and keeps the job all year. Not letting Mariota sign in Chicago wouldn't be protecting one over the other. It would, I guess, be protecting the agent's own potential earnings.....which is what every agent does in every situation ever.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The agent is certainly not looking at it as 2 failed QB prospects. Both were starting QBs within the last 3 months. Both have hopes of being starting QBs for the long-term. Their agent wants that too, because starting QBs make a ton of money. Assuming nobody signs Mariota to a huge deal, both he and Trubisky will be FAs either after 2020 or 2021. If he has 2 clients on 1 team, they are competing against each other. If 1 is starting, the other isn't. If one plays well, the other isn't playing at all. If one is not playing, he isn't getting a big long-term deal. His job as an agent is to get each player maximum earnings. He can't do that for both clients if they are on the same team playing the same position that only plays one person at a time.

He's doing a disservice to Mitch if he tells Mariota, "Hey I think you can win this starting job in Chicago". He's doing Mariota a disservice if he lets him go to Chicago and Mitch wins and keeps the job all year. Not letting Mariota sign in Chicago wouldn't be protecting one over the other. It would, I guess, be protecting the agent's own potential earnings.....which is what every agent does in every situation ever.

I posted the NFLPA's rules. He is not doing a disservice to Mitch because at that time he doesnt owe Mitch a fiduciary responsibilty since he is not currently negotiating a contract for him and thus not earning money from Mitch. The only person he owes a fiduciaury responsibilty to is the FA ie Mariota since that is the guy out of contract.

An agent is not an employee of the player. He doesnt get paid all year round. He is a contractor who gets paid for negotiating contracts and you can't fuck the guy you getting the commission from ie Mariotta to help out a guy not paying you. The only time he owes Mitch anything is when Mitch has a contract to negotiate. Agents obviously make themselves available beyond that and may help players out in other ways but that is for relationship purposes not their fiduciary responsibility.

Now he can certainly steer Mariota away from the Bears if he thinks it is not a good fit. But if he ever claimed he did so to benefit Mitch, the NFLPA would be all over him. Not to mention they are lawyers subject to ethical standards od the ABA.

I am not giving you speculation. It is in the NFLPA guidance and I have a friend that ended up becoming an agent and the study materials you get once you apply for the exam go through scenarios like this.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Briggs the Bears May just steer clear of Mariota but all things being equal if I were the Bears I’d take Mariota over Dalton ever time.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I posted the NFLPA's rules. He is not doing a disservice to Mitch because at that time he doesnt owe Mitch a fiduciary responsibilty since he is not currently negotiating a contract for him and thus not earning money from Mitch. The only person he owes a fiduciaury responsibilty to is the FA ie Mariota since that is the guy out of contract.

An agent is not an employee of the player. He doesnt get paid all year round. He is a contractor who gets paid for negotiating contracts and you can't fuck the guy you getting the commission from ie Mariotta to help out a guy not paying you. The only time he owes Mitch anything is when Mitch has a contract to negotiate. Agents obviously make themselves available beyond that and may help players out in other ways but that is for relationship purposes not their fiduciary responsibility.

Now he can certainly steer Mariota away from the Bears if he thinks it is not a good fit. But if he ever claimed he did so to benefit Mitch, the NFLPA would be all over him. Not to mention they are lawyers subject to ethical standards od the ABA.

I am not giving you speculation. It is in the NFLPA guidance and I have a friend that ended up becoming an agent and the study materials you get once you apply for the exam go through scenarios like this.

I have a friend who is an agent (not for athletes) and 1 family member currently in the NFL, and another who is retired after 10 years in the NFL. AndI can assure you everything other than the 3rd paragraph is complete nonsense. You posted the NFLPA rules, but you didn't interpret them correctly.

s0Lstar18

Liked Posts:
I’m hoping it’s Foles/Dalton/Carr as the vet. I know Mitch will have the “edge” until he shits himself and I like James Morgan as a developmental guy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have a friend who is an agent (not for athletes) and 1 family member currently in the NFL, and another who is retired after 10 years in the NFL. AndI can assure you everything other than the 3rd paragraph is complete nonsense. You posted the NFLPA rules, but you didn't interpret them correctly.

Lol, the 3rd paragraph just summarizes my main points from the rest of it. Feel free to share your interpretation though.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cap Space: 14.5 Million

Releases: [23.5 million saved]

OG Kyle Long 8 million
CB Prince Amukamara 8 million
WR Taylor Gabriel 4.5 million

Camp Cuts

TE Adam Shaheen 1.5 million
TE Ben Braunecker 1.5 million

Cap Room: 38 million

Extensions [12 million saved]

WR Allen Robinson [Mike Evans] [+9 million]
Old Money: 1 year 15 million
New Money: 4 years 68 million/38 guaranteed
Total Money: 5 years 83 million/38 guaranteed

Year 1: 3 GS/3 SB [6]
Year 2: 1 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/3 RB [10]
Year 3: 5 Salary/3 GSI/3 SB/ 3 RB [14]
Year 4: 10 Salary/3 SB/3 RB [16]
Year 5: 14 Salary/3 SB [17]

WR Cordarelle Patterson [+3 million]

Old Money: 1 year 5 million
New Money: 2 years 6 million/6 guaranteed
Total Money: 3 years 11 million/6 guaranteed/6 SB

Year 1: 2 SB [2]
Year 2: 2 Salary/2 SB [4]
Year 3: 3 Salary/2 SB [5]

Cap Room: 50 million

Re-signings: [17 million spent]

LB Nick Kwaitkowski 4 years 26 million/14 guaranteed/4 SB [3]

Younger, cheaper, and healthier than Trevathan who has been very good for the Bears. Kwik has looked very good in his time as a starter and seems to have improved his coverage ability.

Year 1: 4 GS/1 SB [5]
Year 2: 4 GS/1 SB [5]
Year 3: 5 Salary/1 SB/1 RB [7]
Year 4: 7 Salary/1 SB/1 RB [9]

S Deon Bush 3 years 10.5 million/4 guaranteed/ 3 SB [2]

The Bears need a reasonable priced SS to play beside Eddie Jackson and they need someone who can tackle consistently. Bush has shown he can tackle consistently and that he knows the defense and can produce at a much cheaper price tag than Dix.

Year 1: 1 GS/1 SB [2]
Year 2: 2 Salary/1 SB [3]
Year 3: 4.5 Salary/1 SB [5.5]

DE Nick Williams 3 years 8 million/3 guaranteed/3 signing bonus [2]

The Bears need to ensure that they maintain their DL depth and Williams has played well this year and shown more pass rush than any of us expected. A nice backup deal that keeps hi in the rotation seems fair.

Year 1: 1 Salary/1 SB [2]
Year 2: 2 Salary/1 SB [3]
Year 3: 2 Salary/1 SB [3]

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis 2 year 7 million/4 guaranteed [3]

Year 1: 2 GS/1 SB [3]
Year 2: 3 Salary/1 SB [4]

DE Brent Urban 1 year 1.5 million/500k guaranteed
LS Patrick Scales 1 year 1 million
S DHC 1 year 1 million
DE Roy Robertson-Harris [2nd Round Tender] [3.5]

Cap Room: 33 million

Why in the world would you shell out a 4 year deal to a LB who put up career numbers in a contract year? Numbers he never sniffed previously !! like
Kwit, but lets error on the side of caution on this one

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why in the world would you shell out a 4 year deal to a LB who put up career numbers in a contract year? Numbers he never sniffed previously !! like

Because the market isn't going to allow us to be cautious. That is how free agency works.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it depends on how he tests. He has really good hands, but I think they will want someone with a little dynamic juice.

Looked good in the title game. And with that bloodline, why not?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Because the market isn't going to allow us to be cautious. That is how free agency works.
and I think he is a must sign since he is a lot younger than Trevathan. Kwit also wants to start moving forward.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stopped at case keenum

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:

An agents job is to try to find the best place where his player can start and make the most money for the player and agent. He would be hurting Mitch by bringing Mariota here because it’s to try to take Mitches starting job. Whether a place is a good fit doesn’t matter it’s all about being a starter and the money for both the agent and players. The agent and players involved would make more money if they were both starters. It’d just be bad business for the agent and one of the players to have them both on the same team. It’s not hard to understand that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
An agents job is to try to find the best place where his player can start and make the most money for the player and agent. He would be hurting Mitch by bringing Mariota here because it’s to try to take Mitches starting job. Whether a place is a good fit doesn’t matter it’s all about being a starter and the money for both the agent and players. The agent and players involved would make more money if they were both starters. It’d just be bad business for the agent and one of the players to have them both on the same team. It’s not hard to understand that.

Yes that is logical but it simply isn't actually ethical as it relates to the person who he is currently negotiating a contract for.

When you serve in a fiduciary capacity for someone you are not allowed to put your imterests above theirs. If for example the Bears offer Mariota the most money and the starters job then he has to act in his best interest and not worry about himself or another client that he currently is not negotiating on behalf of. If he cant do that then he would be duty bound to end the relationship with one of his clients.

There is no way your scenario however logical and good for the agent or Mitch would be in Mariota's best interest and he must act in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of Mariota not Mitch because Mitch is currently under contract and not negotiating a deal.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
Love a good mock offseason, but no team is trading up to the first pick of day 2 to take a TE. If Bears move to that spot, it'd better be for someone like Tua or Eason.

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:
Yes that is logical but it simply isn't actually ethical as it relates to the person who he is currently negotiating a contract for.

When you serve in a fiduciary capacity for someone you are not allowed to put your imterests above theirs. If for example the Bears offer Mariota the most money and the starters job then he has to act in his best interest and not worry about himself or another client that he currently is not negotiating on behalf of. If he cant do that then he would be duty bound to end the relationship with one of his clients.

There is no way your scenario however logical and good for the agent or Mitch would be in Mariota's best interest and he must act in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of Mariota not Mitch because Mitch is currently under contract and not negotiating a deal.
Oh absolutely. But as he’s the agent for both of them he’s going to try to help both of them not just one. He’s going to try to get them both starting jobs. And it could hurt Mariota if he did go to the bears and lose the starters competition because then he’d be a backup and less money for them both in the long run. I just don’t see it happening.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

It was also the first time he got enough starting time to put up career numbers, but every time he'd get a chance to start since he's been a Bear he's played good for us so who's to say he wouldn't of been putting up good numbers from the beginning if he wasn't the 3rd or 4th ILB on the team for most of his time with us.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It's funny they use this pic for Durrant, which appears to me to be Durrant holding.

usatsi_11324830.jpg

Surprisingly to me, this mock doesn't have the Bears selecting a real OT. Unless there's no draft talent there, some folks are missing something obvious.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 2nd round is loaded with OTs.