Potential migration from the Colts

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
the Colts are projected to have roughly $41 million in salary-cap space for the 2022 offseason, based on a projected cap of $208 million from Over The Cap. They still need to sign Quentin Nelson, and that’s going to swallow a lot of cap space. Colts are in solid salary-cap position entering 2022 offseason

So, I’m reading this article:

And now I’m thinking that we may just pillage some of the Colts FA. I’m thinking Goldman and Trevathan and, though I don’t want it, one of Quin or Mack might be gone. There are others we may clean house on.

Tim focusing on D and some OL. I’m specifically looking at guys that are cheap and know the system. Three or four of their coaches are now on the Bears. Eberflus isn’t going to want a game of telephone. He is going to want his guys in the locker room after hiring his guys as D coaches.

Here are some names I’m thinking:

Mark Glowinski, right guard​

The 29-year-old has started most of his four seasons with the Colts. He missed some time in the middle of the 2021 season because of injury. 2021 salary: $5.4 million.

He would allow us to either move Daniels to C or move on from him.

Al-Quadin Muhammad, defensive end​

He doesn't get nearly the attention of DeForest Buckner, but the 26-year-old starter has gotten to opposing quarterbacks more in 2021. He had career highs with 47 tackles, 12 quarterback hits and 6 sacks. 2021 salary: $2.9 million.

If we lose either Mack or Quinn for draft capital, he can come in on a cheaper deal.

George Odum, safety​

He has been a special teams ace who stepped up in 2021 when the defensive backfield struggled with injuries. The 28-year-old had a career-high 55 tackles and 1 interception. 2021 salary: $2.13 million.

If we can’t get Honey Badger.

Chris Reed, offensive lineman​

The 29-year-old has filled in ably at more than one position when necessary in 2021. 2021 salary: $1.12 million.

We have holes and he can fill them. I’d like them to tell Whitehair to get the fuck out because of Justin getting slammed on his watch. This would be a nice filler.

Taylor Stallworth, defensive tackle​

A less-heralded player than most on the Colts' D-line, the 26-year-old had career highs in tackles (16), quarterback hits (12) and sacks (3). 2021 salary: $835,000.

We are going to need DT depth.

Matthew Adams, linebacker​

The 26-year-old appeared in every game for the Colts in 2021, the third time he has done that in four years. He's an important special teams performer. 2021 salary: $640,396.

Zaire Franklin, linebacker​

The 25-year-old has not missed a game in four seasons. In 2021, he had a career-best 40 tackles and his first interception. 2021 salary: $636,764.

We are switching to a 4-3 and these guys know the system and don’t miss games.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I'd expect a defensive guy or two to be signed on the cheap from the colts but id prefer the guard.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mack isn't moving people. Get off this idiocy.

Edge rushers are hard to come by, & Mack is one of, if not THE BEST, and Bears will be rushing with only 4 the majority of the time. The absolutely must remain stocked with Mack & Quinn. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they keep Hicks even (better not overpay tho).

Now Travathan and Goldman may certainly be gone - esp. if they get something for Goldman in this draft. I'm no expert on that value, 4th? 5th?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goldman aint worth shit right now and I think he fits this defense fine but they will worry more about 3-tech and players in form.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
A highly convenient migration given geographical proximity. The question will remain as to whether they will take 65 north all the way to 94 or look into alternative routes.

BEARS

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Matt Pryor is another, swing tackle.

I've mentioned this several times already but Anthony Walker, even though he played for the Browns last year, spent his first four years in IND and grew into a starting MIKE under Eberflus and Williams. Won't be too expensive.

I mentioned Stallworth and Franklin in another thread last week, they fill spots the Bears currently don't fill in the 4-3 (3T and SAM), and will be cheap.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
These things rarely work out in the NFL. Everyone’s survival mechanisms completely change in 5 years and the NFL…the person you think you are getting is gone.

Embrace the chaos of constant evolution and concern yourself only with the puzzle you are in.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colts were the disappointment of the 32 teams last year losing to the Jaguars in a game needed to make playoffs.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Mack isn't moving people. Get off this idiocy.

Edge rushers are hard to come by, & Mack is one of, if not THE BEST, and Bears will be rushing with only 4 the majority of the time. The absolutely must remain stocked with Mack & Quinn. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they keep Hicks even (better not overpay tho).

Now Travathan and Goldman may certainly be gone - esp. if they get something for Goldman in this draft. I'm no expert on that value, 4th? 5th?

Good to know Mack is the best edge rusher in the NFL.....is that for guys over 30? Maybe guys under 10 sacks per year? Maybe guys who don't play all 17 games?

They'd be idiots to not jump at a decent offer for him as guys over 30 tend to fall off the cliff; quickly; and without warning (even though there are plenty of warning signs with him)

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Good to know Mack is the best edge rusher in the NFL.....is that for guys over 30? Maybe guys under 10 sacks per year? Maybe guys who don't play all 17 games?

They'd be idiots to not jump at a decent offer for him as guys over 30 tend to fall off the cliff; quickly; and without warning (even though there are plenty of warning signs with him)
He can continue to cheer the player who’s overpaid, underperforms and the bears will continue to suck because there’s such a thing as cap space

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

I’m one who’d rather keep Mack. I really would, but the risk vs reward is really feast or famine. If we can get a 1st and a 4th, or something akin to that value, it has to be weighed against the reality that he hasn’t played a full season at full strength for I don’t know how long. I’m not even sure if he has done so for us.

If we walk away from a good offer and he blows up, nice. We look great and win a shit ton of games. Good times. The issue is the risk involved for this scenario to play out. I’m not sure we can walk away from a good offer.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He can continue to cheer the player who’s overpaid, underperforms and the bears will continue to suck because there’s such a thing as cap space

If you're one of those fans who believe he's "injury prone" and unlikely to play another full season, I give you that.

But to say he's underperforming otherwise is simply the definition of ignorant. He & Quinn were doing something special (no homer)

Khalil Mack's Season-Ending Injury Robbed Chicago Of Something Special On Defense

1644621439649.png

Yeah, they're falling off that cliff ? (FWIW - I hate that it's Larry's bum ass Tweeting, but facts are facts)
1644621565334.png

These 2 will be (& have been) special, barring act-of-God injury or something keeping them off the field (like saving selves for a real HC in a season that matters?).

When you're running a base 4-3 and not blitzing much (which is the new plan), these 2 are vital to getting natural pressure - and they're proven effective.

...and that's even WITH the fact they weren't even rushing the passer every down as a natural hand-in-dirt 4-3 DE!!!

Totally understandable if playing cautious due to injury concern, but you can't just go simply draft another generational talent like Mack this April even in the first Rd.

greg23

Liked Posts:
If you're one of those fans who believe he's "injury prone" and unlikely to play another full season, I give you that.

But to say he's underperforming otherwise is simply the definition of ignorant. He & Quinn were doing something special (no homer)

Khalil Mack's Season-Ending Injury Robbed Chicago Of Something Special On Defense

View attachment 17600

Yeah, they're falling off that cliff ? (FWIW - I hate that it's Larry's bum ass Tweeting, but facts are facts)
View attachment 17601

These 2 will be (& have been) special, barring act-of-God injury or something keeping them off the field (like saving selves for a real HC in a season that matters?).

When you're running a base 4-3 and not blitzing much (which is the new plan), these 2 are vital to getting natural pressure - and they're proven effective.

...and that's even WITH the fact they weren't even rushing the passer every down as a natural hand-in-dirt 4-3 DE!!!

Totally understandable if playing cautious due to injury concern, but you can't just go simply draft another generational talent like Mack this April even in the first Rd.

If you think this team can contend for a playoff spot/super bowl next year then you don't entertain any trade offers.

If you think this team is older, against the cap, limited on picks and tradeable assets and a few years away from contending then you entertain all offers and pull the trigger if it makes sense.

Pretty simple

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Colts were the disappointment of the 32 teams last year losing to the Jaguars in a game needed to make playoffs.
In a game where Wentz took 6 sacks. 1 TD and 1 INT for 139 net yards. 26:41 TOP. Colts finally score that TD and get a lot of those passing yards in garbage time on their last series. 1 Jax TD started with that INT on the Colts 1/2 of the field.

Did Colts D have a bad day? Absolutely, but they had a lot of help.