Pre-Combine Mock Offseason

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Seems feasible and well thought out.

As others have mentioned I’d like Grant back. I think giving Fields a receiver he is somewhat comfortable is a good idea even if Grant is just a gadget guy. I’d probably sign him and keep Cohen and let the two of them battle it out for the same role. You are cutting Cohen post June 1 anyway so (if I understand the rule correctly) you can’t use that $ until post June 1 anyway so that money can only really be used for when they need to be under the cap.
You can use $1.75m of Cohen's before June1. And the money spent never gets close to going over the cap in this mock anyway.

I chose not to Post June 1 Goldman because it only gives an extra $2m of cap and then you'd have that on the cap in 2023.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think you're missing about 8 trades. ?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can use $1.75m of Cohen's before June1. And the money spent never gets close to going over the cap in this mock anyway.

I chose not to Post June 1 Goldman because it only gives an extra $2m of cap and then you'd have that on the cap in 2023.
Totally get why you didn’t post June 1 Goldman. Everyone wants everyone cut post June 1 but it’s a short term gain for a long term loss imo.

I’ve said it multiple times that I’d like to see the Bears eat as much of the shitty $ as they can this year while still improving the OL. Looks like this mock is a nice balance of improving the OL, getting a nice weapon and eating some of the cap mess. 2023 would be a good time to go hard into FA ala 2018 if Fields proves to be a good QB.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smart plan keeping spending in line but filling needs with good value. I like bringing in a veteran center and drafting a tackle. We'd have a mix of young guys and potentially more than one who could play LT.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Players signed who count against the Bears comp picks:
DJ Chark WR ($35m/3y/$18gtd) 7 against the cap. This is the one real splurge for the Bears. A fast and athletic WR who can stretch the defense, he fits in well with Fields. Chark sees this as an opportunity to draw many targets and a contract that allows him to stay in line for a real payday at a young age if he does well.

Rashard Higgins WR ($1.5). Higgins was a kind of 2/3 WR in Cleveland, with two season at almost 600 yards. He can work some underneath out of the slot.

i think foles will get traded which will free up an additional 5 mill or so, pace supposedly didnt trade him last season because they wanted to foles to pick. now with poles he will trade him wherever he can...jags make sense since his relationship with pederson or possibly the colts if they cut ties with wentz.
also i think they completely remake the WR room...under contract is newsome and mooney...
i'm not sure chark makes it to free agency, jags have plenty of cap space and letting weapons walk doesnt seem probable under pederson.
i think kirk will be available albeit at a higher cost and I would also target valdes scantling from the pack over higgins. valdes scantling has reduced his drop rate significantly this past season but he may have to take a 1yr deal or an incentive laden deal, the pack have enough problems with their cap so reuniting with getsy could be a likely scenario. Reynolds is another guy that could likely be had for cheap as solid depth, he was injured for most of 2021 so a 1yr deal could be doable.

WR - Mooney, MVS with Kirk in the slot. Newsome, Rambo, Reynolds as depth

dennehy

Liked Posts:
i think foles will get traded which will free up an additional 5 mill or so, pace supposedly didnt trade him last season because they wanted to foles to pick. now with poles he will trade him wherever he can...jags make sense since his relationship with pederson or possibly the colts if they cut ties with wentz.
also i think they completely remake the WR room...under contract is newsome and mooney...
i'm not sure chark makes it to free agency, jags have plenty of cap space and letting weapons walk doesnt seem probable under pederson.
i think kirk will be available albeit at a higher cost and I would also target valdes scantling from the pack over higgins. valdes scantling has reduced his drop rate significantly this past season but he may have to take a 1yr deal or an incentive laden deal, the pack have enough problems with their cap so reuniting with getsy could be a likely scenario. Reynolds is another guy that could likely be had for cheap as solid depth, he was injured for most of 2021 so a 1yr deal could be doable.

WR - Mooney, MVS with Kirk in the slot. Newsome, Rambo, Reynolds as depth
Valdez Scantling is going to get way more money than Higgins imo.

Trading Foles frees up cap space but then you need to spend that cap space on an other backup QB.

Chark, could be. They have Shanault and Jones too.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Trading Foles frees up cap space but then you need to spend that cap space on an other backup QB.

I dont want anything to do with MVS. He's bad at football. He couldn't produce as a wr2 with one of the best qbs ever.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I dont want anything to do with MVS. He's bad at football. He couldn't produce as a wr2 with one of the best qbs ever.
Yeah I don't think he's going to be good value. Would much rather have Lazard but he is going to get paid or tendered.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Full offseason here with all players and money.

Bears start with roughly $40 million dollars and 30 players under contract. I've left out 13 guys (from Spotrac) with futures contracts who will likely be on the practice squad, bring the cap space up to $40.

Cuts: Goldman ($6.6mil cleared): he hasn't been the same since pre-pandemic and his cap hit, at $11m is just too large. An easy cut IMO
-Cohen ($4m cleared, post-June 1 cut): Cohen had a role in the Nagy offense but has been injured for almost two years and isn't worth the $.
-Attachou ($2.3m cleared): Easy call for #4 DE who is more of an OLB, and with Edwards able to take snaps at DE in this defense.

Total $13m cleared. Bears now have 27 players signed and $53mil in cap space.

Resignings: The new regime is not the old regime, and none of the multiyear contract free agents are resigned. Resign James (1.5) Scales (1.5) Goodwin (1.5), Bush (1.5) Punter (1.5) Ogle (1.5) Burns (1) DHC (1) Bars, Mustipher, Simmons (2.5 total for the three restricted/ERFA players)

Total $12m spent, leaving the Bears with $41mil in cap space and 38 players under contract. Of that $41m, the Bears need to reserve about $5mil for the draft and $5mil for the regular season. That leaves them with $31mil for about 10-12 free agent players from other teams.

Players signed who count against the Bears comp picks:
DJ Chark WR ($35m/3y/$18gtd) 7 against the cap. This is the one real splurge for the Bears. A fast and athletic WR who can stretch the defense, he fits in well with Fields. Chark sees this as an opportunity to draw many targets and a contract that allows him to stay in line for a real payday at a young age if he does well.

Bradley Bozeman C ($32m/4y/$18gtd) 5 against the cap. Obviously the Bears need a center. And as luck would have it this is a great crop of FA centers. Bozeman is a fringe top 10 center in the league and comes at a decent price.

Larry Ogunjobi 3tech ($15m/3y/$8gtd) 3 against the cap. Ogunjobi is one gap player who has had a solid career penetrating and causing havoc in offensive backfields for Cleveland and Cincinnati. He got injured late in the season, and BJ Hill emerged as a very good 3T for Cincinnati. As both are free agents the Bengals stick with Hill and Ogunjobi does at a slight discount because of the injury.

Anthony Walker MIKE ($11m/3y/$6gtd) 2.5 against the cap. To me this one is a no-brainer, he flourished under Eberflus and Williams in Indy and will not break the bank. Three down MIKE and Roq slides in at WILL. A very good duo.

Desmond King S/Nickel ($12m/3y/$6.5gtd) 2.5 against the cap. This guy seems to always get lost in the shuffle. He was severely underdrafted out of Iowa and has never gotten a real contract in the NFL despite versatility and consistent steady play. He slides right in at S with the ability to cover in the slot.

Total Spent: $20mil

Players who don't count against comp picks:
Lucas Patrick G ($5.5m/2y/$3gtd) 2.5 against the cap. Comes with Getsy after plugging in the last two years at G for the Packers. Solid player.
One year deals:
Mike Hughes CB ($2.5). Poles identifies a nice value signing here. Hughes quietly played well for KC in the slot. He looks to Chicago to bolster his value by getting more snaps and maybe getting some reps at outside corner.

Rashard Higgins WR ($1.5). Higgins was a kind of 2/3 WR in Cleveland, with two season at almost 600 yards. He can work some underneath out of the slot.

Zaire Franklin SAM/ST ($1.25). Franklin follows Eberflus from Indy a guy who can play the SAM in 4-3 and will be a core special teams player.

George Odum S ($1.25). Same as above, but as a safety.

Total spent: $9mil. Total spent on FA: $29mil. Bears retain $12mil in cap space heading into the draft. 48 players under contract. *Note that this group of FA signings would yield 4th and 6th round comp picks*

DRAFT

#39: Nick Petit-Frere, (6'5, 315) Ohio State, OT. This player very well may not be available but I hope he is. Petit-Frere is a great athlete who manned the LT spot for OSU in 21 and the RT spot before that. Light on his feet and bendy, he is an ideal pass blocker at this spot and fits into a zone scheme that also incorporates gap principles.

TRADE: Bears trade #71 to Eagles for #83 and #122. The Eagles are flush with picks, including three in the first round. They decide to move up to take a player they felt dropped.

#83: Alonte Taylor (6', 190) Tennessee, CB. Taylor is a bouncy, savvy outside corner who can play both zone and press man, well suited to Eberflus.

#122 Haskell Garrett (6'2 305), OSU, 3Tech. I am not an OSU, it just worked out this way. The Bears have already been linked to Garrett, who is a pure one gap 3Tech player. He can rotate in with Ogunjobi while he builds strength for the future.

#147 Greg Dulcich (6'3.5, 245) UCLA, TE. Dulcich had a nice senior bowl to move up a bit and fits in well as U Tight End, who can stretch the field a bit and play H back a bit.

#149 Charleston Rambo (6'1, 185) Miami, WR. A speed receiver who can stretch the field.

#184 Zaquandre White (6'1 215) South Carolina, RB. A powerful and fast one cut RB who can rotate in this year and be insurance for Monty leaving after 2022.

Offense (24 players)
QB: Fields, Foles

RB: Monty, Herbert, White

TE: Kmet, James, Dulcich, Horsted

WR: Mooney, Chark, Higgins, Goodwin, Newsome, Rambo

OL: Petit-Frere (LT), Whitehair (LG), Bozeman (C), Patrick (RG), Jenkins (RT) Borom, Bars, Mustipher, Simmons

Defense (26 players)
IDL: Blackson (1 tech), Ogunjobi (3T) Edwards, Tonga, Garrett

EDGE: Mack, Quinn, Gipson, [Edwards], (Snowden)

LB: Roq (WILL), Walker (MIKE), Franklin (SAM) Ogletree, Trevethan, Caleb Johnson

CB: JJ, Hughes, Burns/Graham/Taylor Vildor, Shelley

S: EJ, King Bush, Odum, DHC

jones is 32 and will be a free agent next season, they have shenault who has been underwhelming so i'd be very suprised to see chark get away...
Yeah I don't think he's going to be good value. Would much rather have Lazard but he is going to get paid or tendered.
he is a deep field stretcher for the pack, i think he is either top 3 or top 5 yards per reception and pairing him with fields who has been stellar at the deep ball just makes too much sense assuming its a 1yr deal or something like a incentive laden deal. I am not advocating for lots of money to goto him but i do think he is improving his game and could be a guy on the rise.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
IMO he'll get a 3 year $20mil deal or around there.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Chark is who I wanted the Bears to target this offseason, but you all have made good points as to why it's not likely he hits free agency.

Can't let good weapons get away while trying to develop a franchise QB and nothing being left for Lawrence if he were to leave.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I might be in the minority here, but I think that Poles moves Khalil Mack in a trade to a contender and we keep Daniels. One quarter of our cap is Mack and Quinn. Need to take the hit this year so you have some real flexibility next season.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I would be fine with Mack getting moved for the right price. Just tough to figure something like that in because those types of trades don't happen that often.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I might be in the minority here, but I think that Poles moves Khalil Mack in a trade to a contender and we keep Daniels. One quarter of our cap is Mack and Quinn. Need to take the hit this year so you have some real flexibility next season.
Really depends on how Poles sees the roster. If he thinks we are another WR, CB2 and a couple OL away from contending for the north he may just try and fill those needs and try to make the playoffs.

If he sees this team as old, overpaid and in need of rebuild he may just ship him out.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't see Eberflus finally getting bookend DEs and trading one of them away, especially since he isn't going to have a DeForest Buckner in the middle of the DL. If they did cut a DE, I'd prefer it to be Quinn for several reasons. You're not going to get good value for Mack coming off an injury plagued couple years. And Quinn would be selling high after the season that he just had. He's also been inconsistent with the sack numbers historically, while Mack has been consistent when healthy and is almost 2 years younger.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's the right price for Mack? Two 2nds and a player maybe? Two 2nds and a 5th? IDK.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I don’t wear jerseys but if we draft Rambo I’m getting that even if he is only on the practice squad lol

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
What's the right price for Mack? Two 2nds and a player maybe? Two 2nds and a 5th? IDK.

Von Miller just got a 2nd and 3rd. But he only cost the Rams like 700K against the cap. Mack has 24M guaranteed left, while the Bears would each some of that, the trading team would owe Mack 17Mil just in 2022 alone. While Mack is 2 years younger and Miller was coming off a completely missed 2020 season, the money cost would make a 2nd and 3rd probably not as likely. I'm thinking one 2nd and a 5th. Maybe 2nd and 4th or a pair of 3rds, but definitely not multiple 2nds.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Mack also has three years of control albeit at a much higher price. But if Mack is actually healthy there's no reason he can't be pro bowl quality for those three years. Speed to power edge players often perform well into their 30s.

To me, a lot of it is about allocation of resources and about Gipson. Is it worth it to lose Mack or Quinn, give Gipson a bigger role, and grab a couple day two picks and $6m in cap space (plus about $20mil in 2023)? As with almost any player it depends on what you can actually get in return. It also depends on how you feel about Gipson, if you think he can improve markedly again in 2022.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Mack also has three years of control albeit at a much higher price. But if Mack is actually healthy there's no reason he can't be pro bowl quality for those three years. Speed to power edge players often perform well into their 30s.

To me, a lot of it is about allocation of resources and about Gipson. Is it worth it to lose Mack or Quinn, give Gipson a bigger role, and grab a couple day two picks and $6m in cap space (plus about $20mil in 2023)? As with almost any player it depends on what you can actually get in return. It also depends on how you feel about Gipson, if you think he can improve markedly again in 2022.
At this point, the smarter move is to deal Quinn.

Shorter deal. and he's coming off the best season of his career. I think Gipson is a good bet, and there are some other ends on the roster (Snowden, etc.) who could also take steps up.