Prediction: Poles will prioritize a 2024 1st rd pick in trade

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Based on everything Poles has said and done since he’s been here, I predict:

Poles is not too concerned about winning next year. He, George and Flus have an understanding, it’s going to take 4-5 years before this team is ready to compete for a SB.

He is going to prioritize getting a 2024 first rd pick over a 2023 in whatever deal he makes to move back from #1.

He is going to prepare himself for a couple scenarios to avoid fucking this whole thing up.

1) Fields doesnt improve much next season
2) Fields get injured early on and misses most of the season

Both scenarios would require the bears to seriously consider drafting a QB in 2024. And having two 1st rd picks PLUS the fact that next years QB draft classes looks to be stellar, they will be in good shape to get a new QB.

With all the $ he has in free agency (assuming he spends it like you all expect him to) and still likely drafting in the top 15 this year, he’ll have enough to get Fields weapons for next season.

I think Fields will improve and become a top 10 QB in a couple years. But it still makes sense to put yourself in the best position possible to draft a QB in 2024 in case it doesn’t work out with Fields.

And like I said, the bears are already prepared for this rebuild to take a while. No one in that organization is expecting much for at least another year or two.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not exactly. If they DO covet at 2024 1st it'll be to get Harrison WR. Not a QB. Fields is our guy, period.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I’ve always believed a 2024 1st (perhaps more) would be prioritized and essential. It depends how far down he plans to go, but my guess is he would want a 2023 2nd, 2023 4th, and a 2024 1st as starting points

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I really do appreciate that Poles is building up a franchise that will compete for a long time, and not just to maximize a short window. I think if Fields keeps growing, and limits the shots on his body with smart running, that that will pay of with a superbowl window that lasts his career instead of his rookie contract.

That said, with the first overall pick in play, trading out of the spot will almost certainly garner multiple first round picks. There are a few GMs with picks in the top 10 who have to consider their options at QB and some of them may be compelled to make a play for our spot just to save their jobs.

Bust

Liked Posts:
it’s going to take 4-5 years before this team is ready to compete for a SB.

rofl @ 5 year rebuild. With free agency, salary cap and injuries that can happen anytime in a high impact sport, good luck keeping the same core for that long to build around. Not happenin bruh

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
Not exactly. If they DO covet at 2024 1st it'll be to get Harrison WR. Not a QB. Fields is our guy, period.
Yeah I've heard a few times talk about keeping Fields and then you consider Caleb Williams or Drake Maye next year if Fields doesn't develop.

Which is preposterous honestly. We have #1 overall right now. Either you take a new QB now or we're going with Fields for the foreseeable future. There will be no Caleb Williams/Drake Maye option for us.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
If they trade down we absolutely will get a 2024 first round pic, and if Fields does not improve then they can use that pic plus our own to move up an replace him, I have said all along that's what I hope the Bears do, it give 1 more year to see if Fields develops and sets them up for plan B if he doesn't

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Any move out of the 2023 1st over all pick would include a 1st in the 2024 draft.

Also convincing George it will take “4-5 years” would make Poles the best negotiator in the universe.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also convincing George it will take “4-5 years” would make Poles the best negotiator in the universe.

It's not going to take a master negotiator to convince George McCucksky he should settle for mediocrity.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
If they trade down we absolutely will get a 2024 first round pic, and if Fields does not improve then they can use that pic plus our own to move up an replace him, I have said all along that's what I hope the Bears do, it give 1 more year to see if Fields develops and sets them up for plan B if he doesn't
This is the first intelligent thing you've said in years. How's that fresh air taste after taking your head out of your ass?

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I think it goes without saying, Poles will get a 2024 First round pick as a part of almost any package he is offered. The key is going to be who offers that pick because he also has to kind of predict what that team is going to do next year as well. If say Dallas was trading up, their 1st round pick next year won't be great because they will still probably get 10-12 wins making the pick somewhere in the 20's (Dallas isn't trading up BTW just using them as an example)

In a perfect world, I can see the Bears actually trading back TWICE in the upcoming draft, but it's predicated on who they trade the #1 pick with.

If Houston or Indy make a deal to move to #1, I do NOT think the Bears are keeping the #2 or #4 pick. I think they are trading back again to around the 8-12 range. This would allow them to most likely get 2 First round picks for 23 but also 2 additional 1st round picks in 24 (also by teams that will be picking top 10 in 24).

Just my thoughts -

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He'll take the most value he can for the 1st pick as long as he doesn't fall too far out of position for targeted players in this years draft. He can always parlay that into a future pick later by trading out again.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
rofl @ 5 year rebuild. With free agency, salary cap and injuries that can happen anytime in a high impact sport, good luck keeping the same core for that long to build around. Not happenin bruh
It blows my mind how disconnected people are with what Poles is saying and doing. Have you guys been paying attention?

He tore apart this roster more than any other GM in bears history. It’s going to take more time than previous GMs to build it up! He is doing this so when he does have it built up, they will be a SB contender for several years, not just one or two years every 10+ years.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
If we miss the playoffs again next year Poles should be on the hot seat he better not care about the next years draft of he's not around anymore

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
I think 4-5 years is setting the marker out too far, but I do agree with the logic. With Bryce not separating himself from the QB pack emphatically, I don't think the Bears see this as some moment. Getting that value for the #1 gives Fields another year, which he rightly deserves, to see how he grows. And then sets you up for.. sure the security blanket of an extra first round pick, in a year of better QB prospects. Or if Fields develops greatly, two picks in a class with Marvin Harrison Jr. I would say both are pretty fantastic.

Also if you collect a first rounder from another team, it gives you more of a greenlight next year to win as many games as possible, make a push for the wild card, rather than position yourself in the draft as begun to become the narrative this year

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Take lions or Seattle two first and get your wr now who knows what kind of weird shit can happen with Harrison....

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
Seattle may be too late to grab Jalen Carter/Will Anderson though, and Detroit definitely is. As well, most draft experts grade this year's WR class as a bit weaker than previous years. And rookie WR's that aren't Ja'Marr Chase or Justin Jefferson tend to start out slower