Prediction: Poles will prioritize a 2024 1st rd pick in trade

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’ve always believed a 2024 1st (perhaps more) would be prioritized and essential. It depends how far down he plans to go, but my guess is he would want a 2023 2nd, 2023 4th, and a 2024 1st as starting points
if those are his starting points, he will be picking #1 this draft

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Good post, and good discussion in here. My 2 cents:

-There's no way the Bears don't get a 1st if they move back. That's the starting price, and there will be buyers, as there always are.

-You may be right about Eberflus getting an unusually-long leash, but if it's taking a team with a #1 draft pick and $120 million in cap space 4-5 years to compete, there's a problem. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

-You're absolutely right that the Bears are set up perfectly right now to have one true "prove it" year for Fields, and if he doesn't prove it, they have a lot of flexibility and options going into next year on how to replace him (high draft pick/high-priced free agent/trade using premium assets---and yes, every single one of those is on the table if Fields fails).

People say no one owes anyone anything in this league, but I think Poles owes it to Fields to go get him some actual, real weapons and see what he can do. I'm talking Tua-type weapons (Jaylen Waddle/Tyreek Hill) and real protection.

^^^It's time to stop fucking around. If Fields flourishes with those weapons, awesome. If he doesn't, the next QB can start out with those weapons.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I would love for the bears to compete for a playoff spot every year just like you. And is it possible? Technically yes, but based upon everything poles has said and done, competing for a playoff spot next year does not seem like a priority.

This will become more apparent to you guys when the first wave of free agency goes by and Poles only signed one or two of the top 15 guys.
I've been saying since last year's free agency period that Bears fans shouldn't just assume

a) a Roquan extension
b) a Monty extension
c) a large spending spree in 2023 just because they have a lot of cap space

So I tend to agree with you. I don't think Poles is interested in breaking the bank for anyone. I think he wants to find value plays. Whether it works out or not, I think his mindset is that he can build a more long-term winner by not overpaying (and you do have to overpay to get top guys in free agency).

It's going to piss fans off, and it's going to take a while for them to come to terms with it. People will be in denial. But this team is not turning into a contender next year, and there is not going to be some massive spending spree.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been saying since last year's free agency period that Bears fans shouldn't just assume

a) a Roquan extension
b) a Monty extension
c) a large spending spree in 2023 just because they have a lot of cap space

So I tend to agree with you. I don't think Poles is interested in breaking the bank for anyone. I think he wants to find value plays. Whether it works out or not, I think his mindset is that he can build a more long-term winner by not overpaying (and you do have to overpay to get top guys in free agency).

It's going to piss fans off, and it's going to take a while for them to come to terms with it. People will be in denial. But this team is not turning into a contender next year, and there is not going to be some massive spending spree.
Agree 100%. Its literally what Poles has been saying all along, and so far, he has been true to his word. He doesn't use the media or his pressers as a "smokescreen" to prevent other GMs from knowing what he's thinking.

Lots of people dont want to hear this, and I've been taking a lot of shit for it, as Im sure you are. But Im not saying its the wrong thing to do, and I hate losing as much as anyone.

I just hope I dont start seeing posts bitching about the bears when they havent signed many top FA's this offseason and are under .500 again.

Poles has tried setting this expectation since day 1. You, myself and others on here have been saying this as well. Shame on those who choose not to listen.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love for the bears to compete for a playoff spot every year just like you. And is it possible? Technically yes, but based upon everything poles has said and done, competing for a playoff spot next year does not seem like a priority.

This will become more apparent to you guys when the first wave of free agency goes by and Poles only signed one or two of the top 15 guys.
I won't take much for them to be competitive. The difference between teams is not that great. A few good players and a good QB will do wonders.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I won't take much for them to be competitive. The difference between teams is not that great. A few good players and a good QB will do wonders.
This is only the case if the "few good players" stay healthy all year.

The situation the bears have is they are lacking the few good players AND quality depth players. This is what Poles is trying to accomplish. A deep, talented team so if/when some key guys go down, the entire season isn't derailed.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is only the case if the "few good players" stay healthy all year.

The situation the bears have is they are lacking the few good players AND quality depth players. This is what Poles is trying to accomplish. A deep, talented team so if/when some key guys go down, the entire season isn't derailed.
The cap space will bring in a few good players and decent depth. I don't think Superbowl winning talent yet, but wild card yes. Its very possible.