Preferred Beef for Ropa Vieja?

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'll preface this by saying my opinion will not be swayed because im 1000% convinced no one makes it better than i do but I've had debates about this recently and was wondering CCSs thots... My girlfriends family is from Cuba and i often get into arguments with her mother about which beef is best for the ultimate RV.

She, like many women born of Cuba prefer the tradition flank steak. I wont get into that legend has it that Jews invented RV but that's a story for another day. When I traveled through Cuba i was blown away by the RV at Dona Eutemia and for a while i modeled by dish after my experienced there.

That was until a while back i was lucky enough to get some 1 on 1 time with brisket aficionado and legend Aaron Franklin at a company function where our conversation took my brain to culinary places i never thought possible. After some trial and error, not only have i found out that brisket makes a far superior RV but i also give my dish a light smoke towards the back end to give it a little more flavor and flagrant punch.

I've tried RV all throughout Cuba and South Florida and have yet to have one that i prefer over my own. Im pretty sure my gfs mom agrees but will never admit it. So what says you CCS?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Puerto Rican version over here dog. olives and raisins.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll preface this by saying my opinion will not be swayed because im 1000% convinced no one makes it better than i do but I've had debates about this recently and was wondering CCSs thots... My girlfriends family is from Cuba and i often get into arguments with her mother about which beef is best for the ultimate RV.

She, like many women born of Cuba prefer the tradition flank steak. I wont get into that legend has it that Jews invented RV but that's a story for another day. When I traveled through Cuba i was blown away by the RV at Dona Eutemia and for a while i modeled by dish after my experienced there.

That was until a while back i was lucky enough to get some 1 on 1 time with brisket aficionado and legend Aaron Franklin at a company function where our conversation took my brain to culinary places i never thought possible. After some trial and error, not only have i found out that brisket makes a far superior RV but i also give my dish a light smoke towards the back end to give it a little more flavor and flagrant punch.

I've tried RV all throughout Cuba and South Florida and have yet to have one that i prefer over my own. Im pretty sure my gfs mom agrees but will never admit it. So what says you CCS?

I have a Cuba trip planned in September. Is it cool if I DM you a few questions about the cuisine? I haven't been to Havana since 2013.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I have a Cuba trip planned in September. Is it cool if I DM you a few questions about the cuisine? I haven't been to Havana since 2013.

Ya gotta try El Cocinero. Best restaurant down there! Tell them Adoncia up in Maryland says "Hey"

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My girlfriend doesn't eat much beef so we always make it with chicken :( still pretty tasty though with some yuca and rice and beans.

Also fuck yuca is a pain in the ass to cut up.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My girlfriend doesn't eat much beef so we always make it with chicken :( still pretty tasty though with some yuca and rice and beans.

Also fuck yuca is a pain in the ass to cut up.
Sometimes you have to do what you want to do.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Olives are acceptable but you can f-off with dem raisins KAREN!

They only go in the slow cooker. It's not like a whole red box of Dole raisins get spread on it for consumption.