Preseason game two jump to conclusions the season is already over

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Nagy is already in his swan song will be fired.

The defense isn't all that good and the inexperienced defensive coordinator will ensure it's even worse.

Mitch is already far better than he ever was in Chicago because Nagy couldn't unlock his potential.

Some of you need to CTFD and stop overreacting to the media driven narrative that the second (used to be the third) preseason game is the best indicator of how the regular season might go.

It's the preseason the games don't count and the players don't care.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Nagy is already in his swan song will be fired.

The defense isn't all that good and the inexperienced defensive coordinator will ensure it's even worse.

Mitch is already far better than he ever was in Chicago because Nagy couldn't unlock his potential.

Some of you need to CTFD and stop overreacting to the media driven narrative that the second (used to be the third) preseason game is the best indicator of how the regular season might go.

It's the preseason the games don't count and the players don't care.

man preseason was preceded by LAST SEASON and the season before that .

This team is bad when the games count as well and so far they have given nobody and indication that they have improved anything .

I find it odd that people try and explain away 4 years of incompetence by saying its only two preseason games. What have you seen that suggests things are different enough to even create this thread ?

and Fields doesn't count because hes not even the starter

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This team has too many holes to be anything but an also ran. But to put any stock in pre season games is assinine. 2008 Lions went 4-0, then lost 16 straight in the regular season,..85 Bears lost their first three preseason games. The games don't count and the players know it.

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
The problem is what we all saw and are frustrated by in the game against Buffalo especially is all stuff we saw in 2019 and 2020. They're not things that are soothed by the balm of "it's just preseason" because we've seen this before when it does count:

1) bad playcalling with no rhythm or ability to build plays off one another

2) flat first half performance, especially on offense, but we've seen it on both sides of the ball

3) pitiful on 3rd down. Again mostly on o but also can apply to d

4) shoddy special teams, particularly punt coverage

5) piss poor tackling and poor fundamentals overall.

Even accounting for less starters playing and less overall game planning the things listed above are concerning precisely because they're not new to this preseason.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem is what we all saw and are frustrated by in the game against Buffalo especially is all stuff we saw in 2019 and 2020. They're not things that are soothed by the balm of "it's just preseason" because we've seen this before when it does count:

1) bad playcalling with no rhythm or ability to build plays off one another

2) flat first half performance, especially on offense, but we've seen it on both sides of the ball

3) pitiful on 3rd down. Again mostly on o but also can apply to d

4) shoddy special teams, particularly punt coverage

5) piss poor tackling and poor fundamentals overall.

Even accounting for less starters playing and less overall game planning the things listed above are concerning precisely because they're not new to this preseason.
1. Not what preseason is for.
2. Yes and evaluation of those flat performances grades players and assists coaches in coaching (you would hope)
3. Again, would you prefer the Bears put in one, two or four of their top 4 wide receivers that did not play but a couple of downs just for a third down play? Looked like the Bears were trying out a few depth wide outs and Ridley (to me) didn't make the cut. Adams perhaps.
4. Again, evaluating back end players is all they're doing. Looks like more than a few will not make the roster in any capacity.
5. Yes . Not sure that has been a "thing" that has plagued the Team over the last 2-3 years though. Don't expect the same from starting group during the season. I am worried about starting CB opposite Johnson though.

Loved Allen Robinsons comment yesterday. Something to the effect, I haven't played a preseason game since 2018, I think.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Overreaction and being chicken little is what ccs does.

And when you attempt to look at things rationally (even a little bit) you get blanket labeled as a “pie in the sky”‘optimist who sees no wrong. There is no in between for many here…

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Or people can react how they want to and you can deal with it.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This team has too many holes to be anything but an also ran. But to put any stock in pre season games is assinine. 2008 Lions went 4-0, then lost 16 straight in the regular season,..85 Bears lost their first three preseason games. The games don't count and the players know it.
No, the starters know it.

2nd string and beyond know that these games are their Super Bowls. Don't show up on film and your career is probably over.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
2. Yes and evaluation of those flat performances grades players and assists coaches in coaching (you would hope)
3. Again, would you prefer the Bears put in one, two or four of their top 4 wide receivers that did not play but a couple of downs just for a third down play? Looked like the Bears were trying out a few depth wide outs and Ridley (to me) didn't make the cut. Adams perhaps.
4. Again, evaluating back end players is all they're doing. Looks like more than a few will not make the roster in any capacity.
5. Yes . Not sure that has been a "thing" that has plagued the Team over the last 2-3 years though. Don't expect the same from starting group during the season. I am worried about starting CB opposite Johnson though.

Loved Allen Robinsons comment yesterday. Something to the effect, I haven't played a preseason game since 2018, I think.

Did they leave their top 1, 2 or 4 receivers off the field all last season on 3rd down? It's called a body of work.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 8.02.34 AM.png

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will see after the Rams game how well this threads initial take holds up.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
His comments basically sum up exactly why nobody has any faith in the Bears offense .

The best offensive player who wants to be the Bears highest paid offensive player doesn't play preseason games and the offense consistently has played with no focus ,no edge , and seemingly lacks leadership.

I'm not saying he should play every snap in the preseason but aint he tired of losing ?The Bears players crack me up they walk around as if they are world beaters . This is big season for all involved you would think he would try and get the offense focused and whole for at least one series and then go sit down as the great ones tend to do . But they have convinced themselves they can just turn it on in the regular season and the reality is they never have

kalmavet

Liked Posts:

1. Perhaps not, but why was buffalo able to make it look like their scheme was structred well enough to build off previous plays without their ones and while playing our cast off qb?
2. Agreed, but it still happens way too often and that applies in particular to the regular season. A trend is a trend.
3. No one said anything about playing the Ones recklessly. But when twos go against twos, it's fair to note that either the bears lack depth (certainly possible) or that the coaching stinks (when you give up 30+ to backups in one half...). Besides the point I'm making is that it's 2.5 years of this, not 2 preseason games.
4. Must be fun as one of those players when the coaching doesn't seem to put them in a good place to succeed.
5. It's absolutely been a problem in certain games. Raiders in '19, Saints in the reg season last year, etc. I admit it's less of concern overall, hence putting it last

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Perhaps not, but why was buffalo able to make it look like their scheme was structred well enough to build off previous plays without their ones and while playing our cast off qb?
2. Agreed, but it still happens way too often and that applies in particular to the regular season. A trend is a trend.
3. No one said anything about playing the Ones recklessly. But when twos go against twos, it's fair to note that either the bears lack depth (certainly possible) or that the coaching stinks (when you give up 30+ to backups in one half...). Besides the point I'm making is that it's 2.5 years of this, not 2 preseason games.
4. Must be fun as one of those players when the coaching doesn't seem to put them in a good place to succeed.
5. It's absolutely been a problem in certain games. Raiders in '19, Saints in the reg season last year, etc. I admit it's less of concern overall, hence putting it last
1. My guess, they wanted Mitch to look particularly good v. his old team. Felt like they did a bit of scripting. Also, the Bears are trying to figure out CB #2 and that's been a problem as Trufant still isn't with the team and he's penciled in to be starter opposite Johnson. Mitch wasn't throwing to Johnson's side much.
2. Could be or just a way for the coaches to evaluate deeper talent on the team, every year. Preseason wise.
3. Well if your point is 2.5 years, you do realize the Bears went to the playoffs in 1.5 of those years.
4. I think the Bears sort of do, but they didn't perform. The goal line stand was a great example, the Bear slot receiver didn't push up field enough to use the "screen" by the outside Wr to shed his cover man and be open for Fields who through the ball away. Blame the bad receiver route on the receiver. As an example.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did they leave their top 1, 2 or 4 receivers off the field all last season on 3rd down? It's called a body of work.

View attachment 13493
So who are you going to blame this on? This preseason? The bad Oline tackle play in pass pro, thank you Leno, Mitch being a sub par QB? A banged up O line that couldn't run block til late in the season? Play calling on Nagy? Pace's poor drafting? All of the above? We have argued about this constantly over the last 3 years. Everyone has an opinion. The least of the opinions.... "I blame it on the preseason".

Edit: One thing that is puzzling to me... I mentioned above last game the Bears ran their #5 and #6 Wide outs with the first team offense, well those healthy enough. I've yet to really see much of the #3 and #4 speed wide outs. Not sure I understand this unless Nagy is really trying to keep a secret from the league??? Not sure their speed is a secret to anyone with regard to Goodwin or Byrd.

Last edited: