Proposed 31 team playoff

Granada

Liked Posts:
I know this wasn't your idea so this isn't aimed at you, but this is a terrible idea -- even worse than the 24 team idea.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I know this wasn't your idea so this isn't aimed at you, but this is a terrible idea -- even worse than the 24 team idea.

You know the NHL though, love to get low seeds lift Lord Stanley's cup. Any response is going to have an asterisk after it anyway you would think.

Granada

Liked Posts:
You know the NHL though, love to get low seeds lift Lord Stanley's cup. Any response is going to have an asterisk after it anyway you would think.

Perhaps for some people, although it wouldn't for me, personally. If I can accept the Hawks' 2013 Cup during a shortened season without an asterisk, I would certainly accept this season's Cup winner (whoever it is) without an asterisk.

I really hope that the NHL doesn't do this plan, but if they do, it is what it is. I wouldn't look down on the Cup winner though -- it wouldn't be their call, after all.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps for some people, although it wouldn't for me, personally. If I can accept the Hawks' 2013 Cup during a shortened season without an asterisk, I would certainly accept this season's Cup winner (whoever it is) without an asterisk.

I really hope that the NHL doesn't do this plan, but if they do, it is what it is. I wouldn't look down on the Cup winner though -- it wouldn't be their call, after all.

If an * is added.....it should be noted that it is for being the oddest season in NHL history. There will be so much down time that when the playoffs start, it will be like a new season. Everything could change drastically. The players who were hurt, might be healthy again....the trades made to counter the loss of said players become unsensible .....teams that were hot and playing well might not be on return......teams like the Hawks who were dead but playing better now have a shot.....players that were in playoff shape are no longer in playoff shape making new injuries probable. Winning a Cup under these circumstances will require a lot of good fortune as well as work....while the first 70 games played become a nonentity.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
NHL should just put an asterisk on this season and shut it down completely.

Bad timing for cup contenders like the Blues and Vegas Knights.

Good timing for the Blackhawks getting what they could for Gustafson and Lehner as each will end up just playing a handful of games for their new teams as they head into free agency.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
With Boston shutting down the cooling system and letting the ice go down the drain, more teams will probably follow to save that expense.

Pretty interesting read:

Bottom line, losing 15 regular season games and the playoffs, mean the owners lose 20% of their income. ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Which tells my simple mind that they have already made 4 BILLION DOLLARS so far this year and are not happy with that.

Put the players and fans ahead of the greed. I am fine with quarantine players, play on practice rinks, no fans, just cameras, but not shutting down just for the dollar is gonna pull at the short hairs.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Am sure owners have insurance for these types of unforeseen events....

It's worse for fans and teams that are legit cup contenders not knowing what if....like Vegas lost assets for Lehner and he only played 3 games for them, lol.

In summary if there ever was a season to be a rebuild team, this is the year! It would suck far worse if the Blackhawks were say the #1 seed and had given up assets on trade for a playoff push rental player(s) only to find the season in limbo.

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I would go the other way. 4 team round robin double elimination no holds barred 1 week tournament with no fans.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well, apparently the NHL is looking at 4 "NHL" cities to break up the 31 teams into and play three games a day.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Great. Fine. Whatever toots their horn or blows their goat. But it's not going to matter this year is going to permanently have an asterisk next to it no matter what.