Props to Montgomery

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Daniels definitely looked like our best OL out there last week and also looked like our best OL up until he got hurt last year, so i think we have to give him a new deal even though his injury history is kinda scary.
Overpay a Pace draft pick that come with risk. You are such a shill.

BeerFan

Liked Posts:
But Monty played great last year and you still were hating on him until now. I think he was 5th in all RB's in total yds last year.

Not coming at you, just sayin.
I agree. Most are looking at yards a running back produced and are online sports betting and/or click baiting if they have financial interest on this website. Yes, we all want a great running back, but that is a combination of elite skills and good offense line in today's NFL. People who know a even a minute amount of football, know that Montgomery is a very good running back. Most of the time the last couple year, he was getting hit 1-2 or so yards behind the line of scrimmage yet still gained positive yards with a very suspect (trying to be positive here) offensive line). He was rated one of the best in NCAA at that when he was at Iowa State, That skill was and is still needed on this team.

Now, that he has a decent interior line, people are saying he's OK. Just imagine when we get at least one, if not two, or the offense tackles to average / above average.

Let the hating begin...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I agree. Most are looking at yards a running back produced and are online sports betting and/or click baiting if they have financial interest on this website. Yes, we all want a great running back, but that is a combination of elite skills and good offense line in today's NFL. People who know a even a minute amount of football, know that Montgomery is a very good running back. Most of the time the last couple year, he was getting hit 1-2 or so yards behind the line of scrimmage yet still gained positive yards with a very suspect (trying to be positive here) offensive line). He was rated one of the best in NCAA at that when he was at Iowa State, That skill was and is still needed on this team.

Now, that he has a decent interior line, people are saying he's OK. Just imagine when we get at least one, if not two, or the offense tackles to average / above average.

Let the hating begin...
The only thing Monty is missing is top end speed. He's not slow at all but he's just not a guy that will beat many DB's in a foot race, he'll get some yds until they catch up. I think he has really good hands as well but we just don't throw the ball to him enough.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I like Montgomery, but paying running backs is stupid.
I don't like having a blanket philosophy like this. You have to treat each situation uniquely.

Do you think the Panthers are stupid for re-signing McCaffrey? Were the Vikings stupid for re-signing Cook? They are making 16 and 12.5 million a year respectively.

If Monty is showing no signs of injuries or decline and is the best player on our offense outside of Fields than I think you look hard at re-signing him and see if he'll take a team friendly deal.

Bust

Liked Posts:
The only thing Monty is missing is top end speed. He's not slow at all but he's just not a guy that will beat many DB's in a foot race, he'll get some yds until they catch up. I think he has really good hands as well but we just don't throw the ball to him enough.

Monty needs to be the headliner on offense. When it's all said and done he may be the best player so Baldylock's needs to utilize him. Play action pass is a good start. How bout some halfback screens. The latter counters aggressive pass rush teams and helps the O line.

Did you notice even after Monty got off to the strong start vs rams Nagy rarely called a play action to draw their safety's in to open up a big play downfield?

we all owe Mitch an apology. Maybe it wasn't all him afterall . . .

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
He looked great on Sunday. The talk about learning how to run correctly that many passed off as offseason fluff turned out to be real. I don't know if I have ever seen a more focused and determined player. He obviously has his limitations but I'm happy for him and he is going to shine this year.

That being said, Nagy is still a dumb playcaller. Monty averaged 6.8 ypc and only had 16 carries. Meanwhile Williams averaged 2.0 ypc and had 6 carries and Nagy called 40 fucking pass plays. Williams is a good receiver but Nagy thinks he's to smart to play the obvious hot hand.

After a good run, Montgomery would get pulled. Everytime like clockwork. I feel like this offense would have a chance with Lazor calling plays and letting Montgomery be the engine even without Fields.
I agree, let Lazor call plays, Nagy is awful at that and give the ball to Monty early and often and throw the ball downfield.

BeerFan

Liked Posts:
I think better blocking (which is improving) and better play calling and execution in the passing game would help tremendously. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen anytime soon. For if the passing game does not improve, there's no way to keep ARob.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think better blocking (which is improving) and better play calling and execution in the passing game would help tremendously. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen anytime soon. For if the passing game does not improve, there's no way to keep ARob.
Unfortunately i don't think they plan on keeping ARob anyway. I'd love to have him stay but i think Nagy wants his smaller faster WR's so he can throw to them inside of 10 yds.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
If we're going to toss money at something I'd rather we shore up our OL. Because a solid OL helps not only any Rb we might have but also Fields, the future of the franchise

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Couldn't agree more. I had him written off as a guy you don't re-sign. You absolutely re-sign him if he keeps playing like this.

I always say, any of these players can get me to stfu if they perform. I'm officially shutting tfu about Monty - I've been watching the Bears since the 80s...that was elite play against the Rams. The guy was finding holes like water flowing - you can't beat that.

And I'm telling ya'll I already know he's an elite pass catcher for a back....Nagy's dumb ass doesn't know how to use him.
Eh, I'm firmly in the camp of not re-signing any RB unless they are Hall of Fame caliber. As good as Montgomery looks, RB's are the easiest position to replace in the league. The Bears don't need to tie up their cap space to a RB who's best years will most likely already be behind him after next season.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Hard to gage Monty's ceiling. Seems Nagy pulls him when he's getting hot, heaven forbid we win a game by running the ball. What a nightmare for Nagy!

Attachments

• images (13).jpeg
    images (13).jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 2

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Monty is going to be a tough call. He is under contract next year for 1.2 million. And damn he is worth more than that. And you really want to extend players that have given it their all before their contract year.. especially for guys that are making nothing.

But next year is a tough cap year and things don't start opening up until the following year.

Probably revolves around 2 things. 1). Who is the head coach next year and 2). What RB is going to fit best with Fields? If Fields is going to open things up quite a bit the Bears may want to learn towards a home run hitter at RB or a RB by committee instead of investing heavily at the position.
You give DM a deal much like Cohen's if he continues to play at his current level. A $6/yr contract makes him top 15 at RB, hell, you could give him a 4yr/32M($8M/yr) extension making him top 10, as an extension you keep his 2022 current base and structure it as :
Yr--------Base ------- Signing bonus------Roster bonus----Cap
2022----965k--------$2,261,545----------------0----------- 3.23M
2023------1M-----------$2M-------------------$2M----------5M
2024------2M-----------$2M-------------------$2M----------6M
2025------6M-----------$2M----------------------0-----------8M
2026------9M-----------$2M----------------------0-----------11M

Guarantee the SB, RB, and salaries thru 2024 $17M guaranteed at signing.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
Couldn't agree more. I had him written off as a guy you don't re-sign. You absolutely re-sign him if he keeps playing like this.

I always say, any of these players can get me to stfu if they perform. I'm officially shutting tfu about Monty - I've been watching the Bears since the 80s...that was elite play against the Rams. The guy was finding holes like water flowing - you can't beat that.

And I'm telling ya'll I already know he's an elite pass catcher for a back....Nagy's dumb ass doesn't know how to use him.
Nagy doesnt want too. He is trying to prove that HIS system works

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Folks wondering where we can get more "splash" plays from the offense without getting QB's killed behind a bad OLine.
Though one was called back on a hold, Montgomery has 2 of our longest gains, 38 and 48 yards. That protects the QB and has limited risk of turnover.
Seems like a simple, proven solution but then I'm no offensive genius....

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Monty has looked great, especially when you consider that the running game creativity has not been great and the blocking has been suspect at times. He just runs with amazing balance and vision this year and is making positives out of some tough situations this year. I think if done well, options with Fields and Monty as a dual mobile threat can only help his numbers and hopefully we hit on a few deep balls and prevent stacking the box and we may see even more production.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately i don't think they plan on keeping ARob anyway. I'd love to have him stay but i think Nagy wants his smaller faster WR's so he can throw to them inside of 10 yds.
...and ask them to block for WR screens behind the LOS.