Pros and cons of Matt Eberflus

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
You mean they are simultaneously doing due diligence on the two positions they need to fill?
Who is doing this diligence? Ted and George?

You want your new GM in that room asking the tough questions and vetting your potential new coach's football IQ. He should be the one conducting the interviews.

Ted and George have screwed up the last 3 of 4 coaching hires. Their opinions are next to worthless.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Carroll needs to retire
Bellichek is a unicorn
Cowher is retired
As bad as Big Ben is Matt Canada is pretty awful too. They are still struggling to find a good offensive play caller so this honestly doesn't help Tomlin
Dungy is also retired
I dont think you couldve made a more stupid counter point. The point is and the only one that matters is DC have had a lot of success as head coaches. In fact been some of the most successful. Just take your L and keep it moving.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
There are certain last names that just say failure. Not sure why, and it aint Matt's fault, but it just doesn't seem to ever work for people with last names that don't flow off the tongue.
Says JP... Hochbaum.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
There are certain last names that just say failure. Not sure why, and it aint Matt's fault, but it just doesn't seem to ever work for people with last names that don't flow off the tongue.
Mike Kryzewski
Marty Schottenheimer
Bill Belichick
Rudy Tomjanovich
Gregg Popovich.
Red Auerbach
Jim Boeheim

All would like a word with you.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He couldn’t develop 4 other QBs so I’ll take this as someone else developed Allen
Not saying he is a can't miss guy but two things
1) the QB's at his other OC stops were B Quinn, D Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallaece, Matt Moore, JP Losman, Chad, Henne, Matt Cassel, and Quinn again.
2) he had 2 seasons in Cle with Mangini, and signed on for the final seasons of disasters in Mia, and KC, not exactly quality development time.

Probably pretty hard to turn down an offer to be a OC in the NFL, but man he jumped from the Titanic, to the Lusitania, to the USS Arizona.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who cares who they pick...isnt like Bears Nation will have faith in this ownership, when it comes to decisions....probably will get Arian effect 2.0

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Hiring a D minded coach will burn the Bears. As I've mentioned before, this organization has not found a way to create a solid O with 100 QB's and just about the same number of OC's. They've invested so much in Fields. This org is a joke.

Whoever thinks a D minded coach will bring in the best OC's to do the job, look back at the past 40 years for the Bears and come back to me.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
EEE BER FLUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS!

That rolls off the tongue beautifully.

Now I have to admit that I know nothing about him.

Now if you are talking about problems that rhyme with his name, ok, you have something.

Stuff like ...

You Fluss, you lose!

Eberfluss, ever lose!

One Team

Liked Posts:
Frazier is probably better.
C'mon suburban sheep boy...you know better than this...Dave Toub is the best man for this team right now...can tell George and mama to get the fuck out the way...GM is irrelevant.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
C'mon suburban sheep boy...you know better than this...Dave Toub is the best man for this team right now...can tell George and mama to get the fuck out the way...GM is irrelevant.
This was compared to Eberflus.

Surprised Toub hasn’t had an interview.

Zenjohn

Liked Posts:
I hope that the scheduling of this second interview says that they will have chosen and have in place their new GM by then to conduct the interview.
In my mind the best head coach is someone who can lead and provide a strong ethic to the whole team . I like what I have read about Eberfluss’ ability to instill a positive culture at Indy that included discipline and accountability.
I don’t want the next head coach to just be developing our quarterback to the detriment of this rest of the team. I want a guy who has a plan for each part of the team and delegates that plan to strong and skilled coordinators.
If our new head coach remains an offensive or defensive coordinator in his mind and feels forced to be concerned with the rest of the team, we are doomed. I got to see that here in Minneapolis, where Zimmer really was the defensive coordinator and resented being bothered by the other aspects of the team, resulting in him making angry, impulsive, and prejudiced decisions on the offensive and special teams retarding the whole team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not saying he is a can't miss guy but two things
1) the QB's at his other OC stops were B Quinn, D Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallaece, Matt Moore, JP Losman, Chad, Henne, Matt Cassel, and Quinn again.
2) he had 2 seasons in Cle with Mangini, and signed on for the final seasons of disasters in Mia, and KC, not exactly quality development time.

Probably pretty hard to turn down an offer to be a OC in the NFL, but man he jumped from the Titanic, to the Lusitania, to the USS Arizona.
Reports on how much he worked with Allen on technique to correct mechanical flaws give him an understanding of reads and then building an O specifically for him and his other players shouldn't be overlooked. Doesn't mean he'll be a great HC but he's graduated OC. He has those built in excuses you listed but even teachers learn how to teach.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would not hate Eberflus. Leader of men and believes in physical ball. His D's have a ton of effort and turnovers. Hard to know if he can be as good at HC and then who's our OC?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Another Matt??
That's a Pro.

When Virginia sees him and says, "Matt, you've grown your hair out, but you look skinnier, I need to cook you a big pot of golumpkis. Oh and say hi to that nice black boy Walter for me, he sure can run, but I haven't seen him in ages." She will have at least gotten something right, if even by chance.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I would not hate Eberflus. Leader of men and believes in physical ball. His D's have a ton of effort and turnovers. Hard to know if he can be as good at HC and then who's our OC?
Yes, that is the question for every DC ever hired, can you bring in the proper OC to run that side of the ball. Are you going to get a Vrabel who has hit on every OC he has hired, or a McDermott who got it right with Daboll? The flip side would be Flores, or Bowles who never got it right.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
What?

Vrabel
Belichek
Arians

Are all names many would struggle to pronounce if they weren't famous. Hell, I heard people mispronouncing Nagy.

Eberflus (EE-ber-floos) also rolls of the tongue if you try it