Public Financing for new stadiums

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I loved this.
Funny though, US Cellular gave back to the Chicago all the money plus like $100 million in the first three-four years.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Unless the money invested comes back in the form of real public services that benefit everyone, it's just yet another transfer of wealth from working people to the corporate/financial elite.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I live in MN, and my taxes are going to their $975 million atrocity. Not enamored by this at all.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Yeah, it's something that really, really, really pisses me off.

How much of an entitled dick walrus do you have to be to threaten a city with moving their team so that the populace will pay for a new multi-multi-million dollar fun house for you?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, it's something that really, really, really pisses me off.

How much of an entitled dick walrus do you have to be to threaten a city with moving their team so that the populace will pay for a new multi-multi-million dollar fun house for you?
It simply goes along with the whole 'The rich get richer" motto.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny vid. These team owners would make excellent politicians. They already have the lying, fear mongering and use of propaganda down pat.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
City of Chicago did it right. Own the stadium

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The UC was funded 100% between Wirtz and Reinsdorf... but they get massive property tax breaks from the City of Chicago.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The UC was funded 100% between Wirtz and Reinsdorf... but they get massive property tax breaks from the City of Chicago.

Ideal model.

These CBAs should include venue allocations. I've been saying it all along. I think the tax payer and sponsor model alone has limited the capabilities of certain venues. Also, the fact that every team that plays there, including the away team, can benefit in the long run more than they do in the short run by building trash now. So if LA has the biggest Basketball market, and they could sell out 60k seats 90% of the time, the away team still makes 3x more, which aids them in building a larger venue, despite being a smaller market. It also takes the pressure off small markets from needing to keep up with the absolute biggest markets.

Tax breaks are good. But tax payers paying to build something is, as John Oliver points out, very destructive to municipal budgets. It's a major conflict. Some tax payers are fans of that team, some aren't. Some are fans of opposing teams, but you force everyone to chip in some how, some way.

The NBA and NHL have teams and sub-markets that could sell out a 40k+ seat arena. The NFL has teams and sub-markets that could sell out 150k+ seat arenas. Most cities with historical venues have enough demand to repurpose historical venues for many other purposes or even leagues. ie: Soldier Field could still play pre-season Bears games and host the Chicago Fire yet again. You could schedule a number of events that are off limits now, which essentially could aid to growing those events. It's silly in 2015 to have the 3rd largest city in the US with one of the most established teams in the league, playing in the smallest stadium.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
TIF's ok, if they build it in an area and hire in an area that desperately needs employment.

Money, HELLFKNNO.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I live in MN, and my taxes are going to their $975 million atrocity. Not enamored by this at all.

But yours is a multi-use facility, much better than the eyesore on the lake here.

An eyesore which is raping Chicago taxpayers until the year 2032, along with being too small for today's NFL standards.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

Plus Wirtz has everything in separate umbrellas so he can cry poor when the Blackhawks "lose" him money.
Brilliant.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup.
Own one of the smallest venues without a roof in a cold climate, basically guaranteeing no Super Bowls. Ever.

Add to that relatively shitty amenities. The common ares are two small. A lack of security; I've seen many fights inside the stadium and I've never seen one in, for instance, Indianapolis. Possibly the worst turf in the league. Yep, its a regular football Nirvana.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Add to that relatively shitty amenities. The common ares are two small. A lack of security; I've seen many fights inside the stadium and I've never seen one in, for instance, Indianapolis. Possibly the worst turf in the league. Yep, its a regular football Nirvana.

I've noticed over the years that a select core of Chicago fan just sucks balls. Whether it be sports, concerts or other forms of entertainment, going to a venue in Chicago is just a huge bummer. I've been to 2 Bears games. I really don't care to go to any more TBH. Fights broke out at both games and some drunk dude wanted to skip waiting in line to get out of the stadium, so he jumped-- to his death.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Yup.
Own one of the smallest venues without a roof in a cold climate, basically guaranteeing no Super Bowls. Ever.

Soldier Field is the only structure I know of that was removed from the National Historical Registry AFTER a renovation.

Terrible job by the architectural firm.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Soldier Field is the only structure I know of that was removed from the National Historical Registry AFTER a renovation.

Terrible job by the architectural firm.

Maybe we can spend double what they spent last time and park an even smaller space ship in place of the current space ship :troll:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Maybe we can spend double what they spent last time and park an even smaller space ship in place of the current space ship :troll:

Of which sad ship covers the only remaining cool part, the columns with Corinthian caps and bases.

Should have followed the Sox lead, and used the south parking lot building from scratch.

Even the United Club was a failure, feels like you're watching through a tunnel.