Put your Roquan money where your mouth is.

Where do you stand on Roquan Smith?

• Total voters

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
for CCS posterity

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I’d look to trade first. See his real market value. If you can’t get a first round pick or more, what’s he really worth?
Just top 5 money. Get rid of the de-escalation. Add incentives.
For once I agree with you.

BigBill

Liked Posts:
Roquan leaving would complete the Bears plan of tanking to get the 1st pick to replace Fields

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's a rebuild I would love to see Bears keep him but wouldn't be upset if they got some good draft picks for him.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’d look to trade first. See his real market value. If you can’t get a first round pick or more, what’s he really worth?
Just top 5 money. Get rid of the de-escalation. Add incentives.

He'll never get a first round pick, off-ball linebackers they're the running backs of the defense.

Username

Liked Posts:
If he leaves, the Bears will have 1 proven player on the D who is past his prime. Are you going to even bother watching the games?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If he leaves, the Bears will have 1 proven player on the D who is past his prime. Are you going to even bother watching the games?

Be medicore and go 6-10 or restart build an elite team under Justin Fields.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I'm cool with keeping him provided it isn't an overpay. If the only options are overpay or trade him, then trade him. The Bears aren't close to a title either way so if you can get maximum trade value for him while tanking (which is better long-term anyway for the franchise), then do that. Personally, I'd much rather have high draft picks the next 2 seasons (top 3 this year, top 5 next) than anything else so whatever gets the Bears closer to that target range, that's what I'd prefer.

greg23

Liked Posts:
roquan to the jets for Wilson's mom and friends

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure I agree with Roquan trying to get this done without an agent.

If he had an agent that knew other GMs and maybe even has other clients on the team, that his agent could use as leverage, it would go a much longer way than simply trying to negotiate solely based upon his talent.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Looking at the reaction to this news around the league I'm beginning to think even a third rounder is not even guaranteed. Its hard to know, but enthusiasm for Roquan Smith seems pretty low.

The better trade avenue might be player-for-player. Devin Bush hasn't worked out great in Pittsburgh, maybe he could use a change of scenery? Only a one year commitment.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Option #3 for me. No need to get too up or down on either side here. The Bears are better off with him and hopefully the two sides can eventually come to an agreement. Bears hold the leverage with the franchise tag next season and the return in a trade at this point is likely not worth it to the team.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm cool with keeping him provided it isn't an overpay.

Sounds to me like he wants to be the highest paid LB guaranteed plus incentives. The offer of being a highly paid LB with de-escalators was insulting.
It would seem the options are to overpay or trade.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sounds to me like he wants to be THE highest paid LB guaranteed plus incentives. The offer of being the highest paid LB with disincentives was insulting.
It would seem the options are to overpay or trade.
According to the anchoring principle, the first offer made in a negotiation sets up a powerful, unconscious psychological anchor that acts as a gravitational force. Stated simply, there is a strong correlation between first offers and final outcomes

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
According to the anchoring principle, the first offer made in a negotiation sets up a powerful, unconscious psychological anchor that acts as a gravitational force. Stated simply, there is a strong correlation between first offers and final outcomes

Could that track back to the Bears' rookie offer? Could that mean there's bad blood with him forever?