QB School: Fields vs Bengals

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Rex Ryan would bring old school back to the Bears. He the son of Buddy too? OMFG! Make it happen!!!
You know, there are more modern takes on this.

Run first play action does not mean exclusively run or ground and pound like Tennessee does.

There's a lot of modern offenses that will use the run to set up the pass, and they modernize it with moving pockets and designed bootlegs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’ve stated my reasons in other threads and I know you were part of those discussions. I’m not asking for proof. I’m just asking what those people think Fields has learned on the sideline during the 1.5 games. That’s me asking for opinions. Where did I ask for proof? We all knew Fields was gonna start sooner than later and that time has more than likely come. So now I wanted to circle back and again ask those who shared different opinions. I’m honestly curious on what they think Fields has learned on the sidelines. It’s not my fault your on your period.
Not much which is the equivalent to how many games he's had to review with an extremely limited offense last week. You're doing the bitchy passive aggressive thing and then pointing fingers, LOL.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Nagy running shallow crosses against man with no zone options. And the hot read on the opposite side of the field from his 1st read. Dumb shit. All those curls, & hitches need to have options to double into a deeper route.

Nagy takes Graham who is legendary for shitty blocking and... makes him block... a lot.

WRs don't block well (Mooney is willing) and if they are improvising after play break downs I don't see it. Too many times I watch plays break down and receivers are standing on the field next to the DB like they chatting about the game as spectators. Fucking break and find a soft spot.

2 worst plays by Fields (1) Graham wide open in the endzone but misses it as he tries to hit I believe Mooney whose crossing with coverage close. And the throw is late anyway. (2) the INT but to be fair other rookies get fooled by that guy dropping underneath. Especially when the play design is ass to begin with and you hot is on the opposite side as your read.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He didn’t like the throw that Arob dropped in the end zone? Cmon
He didn’t like the 2nd crosser completion to Mooney either, said it should have been a TD if thrown more accurately. But I understand why he threw it low after missing high to Mooney earlier.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

Run first play action does not mean exclusively run or ground and pound like Tennessee does.

There's a lot of modern offenses that will use the run to set up the pass, and they modernize it with moving pockets and designed bootlegs.
Like the rams and SF and now Seattle. Waldron in Seattle is becoming someone that is an interesting HC option.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Fantastic breakdowns. I think this is the best series out there right now.

Lots of learning for Justin and for Nagy. Holy hell
Nagy. For being a “QB guru” that is embarrassing.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Hot takes:
  • Nagy's "scheme" still sucks.
  • Fields needs to stay on the field, continue to be the starter, and develop.
    • Forcing Fields to sit and watch Dalton go .500 isn't some cheat code for him to throw 50 TDs next year like Mahomes did in his 2nd year.
    • All you're doing is delaying the inevitable and wasting everyone's time.
      • He's going to need to make mistakes and grow either way so you might as well start the process now so he's further along in his development next year instead of once again starting from scratch.
Not sure if it was pointed out, but both false starts were actually the fault of Mustipher

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Too lazy too watch all of it but I assume the message is there should be much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Chicagoland.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He didn’t like the 2nd crosser completion to Mooney either, said it should have been a TD if thrown more accurately. But I understand why he threw it low after missing high to Mooney earlier.
This perfection on downfield throws is rare unless you're Rodgers on a good day. Throw it where your guy has an advantage and hope he makes you look good. Last thing I'd be worrying about with Fields is his long ball. He may have looked calm last Sunday but you know he wasn't. Game is not too big for him but you could see him aiming instead of just letting them fly. He was trying to do it right instead of just playing and you could see it in both his throws and reads.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure if it was pointed out, but both false starts were actually the fault of Mustipher
Not a big deal that's not the case according to Fields or Nagy.

There were three false starts while Fields was in the game Sunday and he took full responsibility for two of them.

“There’s some communication that goes down. If the play clock is running down, we have a mechanism that we can use and you got to be clear with that,” Nagy said Monday. “We have some different cadences. We’re going to get the guys together and just talk through that and figure out the whys behind all of that. But again, some of that is part of the growing pains, right?”

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Hot takes:
    • Forcing Fields to sit and watch Dalton go .500 isn't some cheat code for him to throw 50 TDs next year like Mahomes did in his 2nd year.
      • He's going to need to make mistakes and grow either way so you might as well start the process now so he's further along in his development next year instead of once again starting from scratch.
Thanks. Now I know it’s really not worth my time to watch…

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks. Now I know it’s really not worth my time to watch…

And yet it was worth your time to type out a message a day later about how it's not worth your time...

AdoredRipeIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

It's been proven that you don't actually have to run for play-action to be effective.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Doesn't look like there's a lot there that couldn't be chalked up to rookie jitters and adapting to the speed of the game. Hopefully he'll nicely adjust here in the next couple of games and never look back.

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
This guy was critical on almost every play (including the deep pass to ARob), which I appreciate because he was very high on Fields during the draft. His critiques seem credible to me even if I can't see the issue with the ARob deep ball personally. I'd rather hear a very critical breakdown of everything than see it through rose-tinted glasses. I'm not hoping for a decent/good/great Bears QB, I'm hoping for a generational QB who can be looked at as the best in the league and maybe eventually one of the best of all time.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
For all the newbies out there, there was a time when JT played QB for the Bears. It was a nice film breakdown, there were moments when I thought Fields had the adrenaline rush. That throw that went off Mooney's fingertips was one(although I think Mooney should have caught it). But hopefully that'll get cleaned up in practice, and he did step up and ice the game when needed, even after his INT error.

He'll still go through growing pains because he's a rookie, but Nagy & Co would be smart to stay the course and let him play.

Just my 1.5 cents

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hot takes:

Doesn't look like there's a lot there that couldn't be chalked up to rookie jitters and adapting to the speed of the game. Hopefully he'll nicely adjust here in the next couple of games and never look back.

This guy was critical on almost every play (including the deep pass to ARob), which I appreciate because he was very high on Fields during the draft. His critiques seem credible to me even if I can't see the issue with the ARob deep ball personally. I'd rather hear a very critical breakdown of everything than see it through rose-tinted glasses. I'm not hoping for a decent/good/great Bears QB, I'm hoping for a generational QB who can be looked at as the best in the league and maybe eventually one of the best of all time.

I understand the break down, what I do not understand is the feeling I got that the expectation was more on line for a starting vet QB in the league v. a rookie pressed into service due to an injury. I would expect a QB not named, Payton, Luck or possibly Lawrence to have stance issues while throwing. I would expect a QB to have a miscue or two on reads and timing. I wouldn't expect WR not laying out or dropping dime balls.

I liked the breakdowns, was interesting to watch. Didn't care for the expectation of the reviewer. Didn't appear to allow any allowance for the circumstances. Yes every QB should be ready to go into a game at a moments notice. However, a rookie, not considered a generational talent like those I listed... Well, ok.

Hopefully, Fields got some education going. Hopefully, more on Sunday v. a weaker D.