QB School video on Fields

Toast88

Liked Posts:
That 50-yard touchdown on the broken play to Pettis was a deceptively long throw:

30 yards downfield
+
40 yards cross-field
=
a 50-yard throw against the grain while running away from defenders.

Just incredible. That throw doesn’t get its due.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
That 50-yard touchdown on the broken play to Pettis was a deceptively long throw:

30 yards downfield
+
40 yards cross-field
=

A 3-4-5 triangle. I remember those!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

30 yards downfield
+
40 yards cross-field
=

:D(y)

And it's called "extending the play" after a collapsed pocket. Not "backyard football"

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

30 yards downfield
+
40 yards cross-field
=

It was a great throw, but it was more like 27ish yards laterally, and 30 yards downfield. The math says 40.3 yards, in the air. An NFL field is 53.33 yards across. The numbers look like they are 25 yards apart.

I’m just guesstimating on that last part though.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It was a great throw, but it was more like 27ish yards laterally, and 30 yards downfield. The math says 40.3 yards, in the air. An NFL field is 53.33 yards across. The numbers look like they are 25 yards apart.

I’m just guesstimating on that last part though.

No need to guesstimate, my friend---We have the info.

The numbers are 35 yards away from each other.

He threw from just-midfield-side of one number (his heels were almost touching the numbers) to multiple yards past the other number, hence about 40 yards laterally.

If someone wanted to say 37-38 yards across instead of 40, that's fine. You're still at about a 50-yard pass through the air, maybe a few yards short.

Last edited:

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No need to guesstimate, my friend---We have the info.

The numbers are 35 yards away from each other.

He threw from just-midfield-side of one number (his heels were almost touching the numbers) to multiple yards past the other number, hence about 40 yards laterally.

If someone wanted to say 37-38 yards across instead of 40, that's fine. You're still at about a 50-yard pass through the air, maybe a few yards short.
Ok. So I was off about how far apart the numbers were. 35 yards apart for the numbers, making it 37ish yards, east/west, and 30 yards downfield, would make the throw 47.6 yards in the air.

It was a great throw.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're still at about a 50-yard pass through the air, maybe a few yards short

With a wet ball on a wet field.

I don't care how wide open Pettis was, that was the most difficult throw I have seen a Bear QB make since Cutler was still here.

Justin Fields looked like an entirely different QB after that TD. I hope he holds tight to that momentum and never lets it go.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
With a wet ball on a wet field.

I don't care how wide open Pettis was, that was the most difficult throw I have seen a Bear QB make since Cutler was still here.

Justin Fields looked like an entirely different QB after that TD. I hope he holds tight to that momentum and never lets it go.

When Cutler or Trubisky made a bone headed play, you knew that it would just snowball from there. (Grossman too)

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When Cutler or Trubisky made a bone headed play, you knew that it would just snowball from there. (Grossman too)

It definitely snowballed on Rexy and Mitchy because they would get flustered and make things even worse.

Cutler would have like four or five terrible drives and just kinda give up. It's what I hated most about him.

Fields had an absolutely miserable start in absolutely miserable conditions and some how improved the longer he was out there. I am actually excited for a prime time game in Green Bay for the first time in forever just to see if Fields can come out of the gate with as much confidence as he slid off of Solider Field with.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It definitely snowballed on Rexy and Mitchy because they would get flustered and make things even worse.

Cutler would have like four or five terrible drives and just kinda give up. It's what I hated most about him.

Fields had an absolutely miserable start in absolutely miserable conditions and some how improved the longer he was out there. I am actually excited for a prime time game in Green Bay for the first time in forever just to see if Fields can come out of the gate with as much confidence as he slid off of Solider Field with.
He did have a bad start yet I had the feeling that the coaching staff and especially the defense had control of that game, It had the feeling that if they could stay close in the game and got a break that they could win the thing. When Fields escaped the rush and spotted Pettis alone, that was THE PLAY.

What they do next week is unknown but I have hope. Stay in the game. Keep things close. And have the QB make a "PLAY". I just see a group of players who hustle and know their job. I think that they are buying in to the Eberflus system and a team which gained a lot of confidence in their quarterback as a leader.