Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So this offseason, we saw a ton of movement with the QB position.

Looking at the current state of the QBs, I think it's very likely that we may see a repeat next season.

Here are the QBs I think are on the hot season and could be moved by the end of next season, depending on how things go:

SCORCHING HOT SEAT

Tua T., Miami Dolphins - He hasn't impressed in his first two years. Not awful, but he hasn't proven to be the guy to take a team to the next level. With a bolstered o-line and new toys on offense, it's time for him to show what he can do. If he doesn't impress, I expect MIA to move on.

Carson Wentz, Washington Commanders - I can't remember the last time a QB of Wentz' caliber was traded in back-to-back seasons. Is he great? No. But he isn't awful. If he doesn't work out next season for the Commies, not only may he be on the move, but it may actually spell the end of his NFL career.

Baker Mayfield, Whoever he ends up with - How things have crumbled for Baker.. A year ago, he was being celebrated for winning the first playoff game for the Brown in decades, and now no one seems to want him. Wherever he ends up, he better not flop, or like Wentz, his NFL future get pretty muddy.

HOT SEAT

Matt Ryan, Indianapolis Colts - Clearly the Colts have shown that they aren't afraid to move on from a QB one year after trading for one. That puts a lot of pressure on Ryan to perform well, especially on a good team.

Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans - After two great years in TEN, he had a pretty big clunker in 2021. He can't afford another one or else I can easily see TEN moving on from his next off-season.

Jared Goff, Detroit Lions - Despite a bad year by the Lions, Goff wasn't really THAT bad. Still, he got called out by their HC during a press conference and didn't do much to convince anyone that he is the right replacement for Stafford. If he doesn't wow in 2022, I can see the Lions looking for his replacement via trade or the draft.

Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles - Simply put, Jalen Hurts didn't do a great job passing the ball last year. Rumors have been swirling for over a year that the Eagles aren't completely sold on him. It seems like he showed enough to give himself another year, but if he doesn't show good progress, watch for the Eagles to move on.

We'll throw "warm seat" in there as well

WARM SEAT

Derek Carr, Las Vegas Raiders
- Carr has also had a bunch of rumors surrounding him over the last few years. He's kept his head above water and squashed them.... but he has to go up another gear. With Adams, Waller, and Renfrow as targets to throw to, Carr has little excuse. If he doesn't show that he's a top tier QB, look for McDaniels to look for HIS guy.

Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals - We all know about the drama that ensued recently... A lot of questions about Murray's maturity as well. If things get ugly this year, it would not shock me at all if Arizona trade Murray.

Justin Fields/Trevor Lawrence/Zach Wilson - These were all rookie QBs that struggled in year 1. If they struggle just as much in year 2 and their respective teams get a high pick, I can see their GMs flirting with the idea of replacing them.

Other QBs on the hot seat that just weren't mentioning: Mariota, Daniel Jones, Trubisky

Last edited:

DickButkus97

Liked Posts:
Pretty good rankings for seats in the cauldron. The question is how firmly attached are the head coaches and gm’s to those that will not survive the heat? Nagy and Pace were sacrificed but Justin remains.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Pretty good rankings for seats in the cauldron. The question is how firmly attached are the head coaches and gm’s to those that will not survive the heat? Nagy and Pace were sacrificed but Justin remains.
why wouldn't Fields remain? he's only going into year 2 after basically being nerfed and fucked with his rookie season. what the other assholes that had been around for years were doing was pretty firmly established along with the reasoning why they needed to fuck off.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
let the justin fields coach (and gm) killer narrative commence. funny how coaches (or gms) are never called qb killers, especially on the Bears.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Carson Wentz, Washington Commanders - I can't remember the last time a QB of Wentz' caliber was traded in back-to-back seasons.
Back-to-back seasons?

Heck, Tom Brady was traded from being Giselle's Au Pair Boy to being traded back to the Bucs in less than one off-season.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
why wouldn't Fields remain? he's only going into year 2 after basically being nerfed and fucked with his rookie season. what the other assholes that had been around for years were doing was pretty firmly established along with the reasoning why they needed to fuck off.
Whenever you are on a new GM team and coaches, you are NOT that GM's guy, you are not who they pick. Hell, you might be looking at Poles if he was the G last year, he might of had a high grade on Jones and they might of stayed at 20 just to get him. He's on the warm seat until he proves he's the guy out on the field. I doubt they'll do anything to replace him, but as long as he is a Pace signing that if we are to be honest, did not do great last year, he's on the seat. Pretty sure if Monety wasn't solid or Quinn had another bad year, if he could save money on them they might of had a shot of being gone. Hard to say...

Not that Quinn isn't safe, but lets see if someone won't trade something for him.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
My guess is the team might be top 5 bad this year, especially if Fields plays as bad as last year. You can bet your ass they would draft a QB with a top 5 pick.

Reactions: chi

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

Looking at the current state of the QBs, I think it's very likely that we may see a repeat next season.

Here are the QBs I think are on the hot season and could be moved by the end of next season, depending on how things go:

SCORCHING HOT SEAT

Tua T., Miami Dolphins - He hasn't impressed in his first two years. Not awful, but he hasn't proven to be the guy to take a team to the next level. With a bolstered o-line and new toys on offense, it's time for him to show what he can do. If he doesn't impress, I expect MIA to move on.

Carson Wentz, Washington Commanders - I can't remember the last time a QB of Wentz' caliber was traded in back-to-back seasons. Is he great? No. But he isn't awful. If he doesn't work out next season for the Commies, not only may he be on the move, but it may actually spell the end of his NFL career.

Baker Mayfield, Whoever he ends up with - How things have crumbled for Baker.. A year ago, he was being celebrated for winning the first playoff game for the Brown in decades, and now no one seems to want him. Wherever he ends up, he better not flop, or like Wentz, his NFL future get pretty muddy.

HOT SEAT

Matt Ryan, Indianapolis Colts - Clearly the Colts have shown that they aren't afraid to move on from a QB one year after trading for one. That puts a lot of pressure on Ryan to perform well, especially on a good team.

Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans - After two great years in TEN, he had a pretty big clunker in 2021. He can't afford another one or else I can easily see TEN moving on from his next off-season.

Jared Goff, Detroit Lions - Despite a bad year by the Lions, Goff wasn't really THAT bad. Still, he got called out by their HC during a press conference and didn't do much to convince anyone that he is the right replacement for Stafford. If he doesn't wow in 2022, I can see the Lions looking for his replacement via trade or the draft.

Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles - Simply put, Jalen Hurts didn't do a great job passing the ball last year. Rumors have been swirling for over a year that the Eagles aren't completely sold on him. It seems like he showed enough to give himself another year, but if he doesn't show good progress, watch for the Eagles to move on.

WARM SEAT

- Carr has also had a bunch of rumors surrounding him over the last few years. He's kept his head above water and squashed them.... but he has to go up another gear. With Adams, Waller, and Renfrow as targets to throw to, Carr has little excuse. If he doesn't show that he's a top tier QB, look for McDaniels to look for HIS guy.

Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals - We all know about the drama that ensued recently... A lot of questions about Murray's maturity as well. If things get ugly this year, it would not shock me at all if Arizona trade Murray.

Justin Fields/Trevor Lawrence/Zach Wilson - These were all rookie QBs that struggled in year 1. If they struggle just as much in year 2 and their respective teams get a high pick, I can see their GMs flirting with the idea of replacing them.

Other QBs on the hot seat that just weren't mentioning: Mariota, Daniel Jones, Trubisky
I don't know where Trey Lance fits into the equation if Garoppolo is traded elsewhere, but if the niners regress after making it to the NFC championship game, someone's going to have some explaining to do.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know where Trey Lance fits into the equation if Garoppolo is traded elsewhere, but if the niners regress after making it to the NFC championship game, someone's going to have some explaining to do.

I thought about that actually haha. I ultimately didn't name him because I think he'd have a longer leash since it's his first year starting. If he didn't wow, I think he'd still get another year to show improvement.

You make a good point given the talent on the team, though. If they took a major step back with Lance, I could see them asking themselves questions.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Niners gave up a ton on this gamble that they could plug Trey Lance into what was (aside from quarterback) one of the NFL's strongest top-to-bottom rosters and best coaches. Early returns of him not being able to be at least better than Jimmy Garoppolo are not an encouraging sign, but then again Pat Mahomes basically redshirted his rookie year and that worked out all right.

Either way the pressure is really on. The Niners are positioned to go on a Chiefs-like run if Lance is the real deal but the investment and team success recently is going to mean the pressure is really on.

Reactions: BNB

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reporting that Carr's seat is warm makes more sense to me than reporting he is about to get a long term extension, which I have also seen recently.

Reactions: BNB

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
I thought about that actually haha. I ultimately didn't name him because I think he'd have a longer leash since it's his first year starting. If he didn't wow, I think he'd still get another year to show improvement.

You make a good point given the talent on the team, though. If they took a major step back with Lance, I could see them asking themselves questions.

In the old NFL, young quarterbacks sat on the bench for three years or more - No longer.

Everything speeds up these days.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Reporting that Carr's seat is warm makes more sense to me than reporting he is about to get a long term extension, which I have also seen recently.

There's a lot of money invested in the Las Vegas offense. If Carr plays poorly (which I do not expect, BTW), someone is going to have to answer for that.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

SCORCHING HOT SEAT

HOT SEAT

WARM SEAT

Mostly I agree add R Wilson in Denver as having a lot of pressure on him, not exactly hot seat but pressure. Of your 4 hot seat guys Matt Ryan can just retire. Tannehill is definitely gone unless a big step forward. Goff gone as well if Lions stay bad this year with a top QB class next year.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The QB chair is close to stopping it's spin and their aren't many chairs left. I think the 49'ers screwed up and put too high a price on him earlier, they may luck out with a major injury at QB later and get a deal.