Qualifying offers thread

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Since the QO's will greatly effect the Cubs off season plans, thought it worthwhile to track it today.

Conforto and Noah Syndergaard
Castellanos
Robbie Ray
Corey Seager
Marcus Semian
Trevor Story
Freddie Freeman

All have been offered QO's. IMO, these players will be taken off the Cubs board as they would cost a pick.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Since the QO's will greatly effect the Cubs off season plans, thought it worthwhile to track it today.

Conforto and Noah Syndergaard
Castellanos
Robbie Ray
Corey Seager
Marcus Semian
Trevor Story

All have been offered QO's. IMO, these players will be taken off the Cubs board as they would cost a pick.
Why would any of these guys, other than maybe syndergaard and conforto, not have been given the QO? If they were interested in Castellanos or Seager or Ray before, I assume they still are. This isn't a revelation that they'd get that offer.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yeah I would think Seager could still get an offer from the Cubs, as he is worth it. But Noah and Robbie might have free agent equivalents on one year deals that can be flipped (Kershaw, Verlander), and won't cost a pick and possibly gain more prospects from a flip.

And if I understand QO's well enough Seager will only cost a 4th rounder because the Dodgers were in the luxury tax last year.

Eduardo Rodriguez seems like a typical Cubs target, high era, low FIP, someone that pitched into bad luck and could be in for a huge season.

Last edited:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Final list:

This really kills my plans of getting Eduardo Rodriguez or Verlander for a flip. But if they decline the offer and sign with the Cubs for one year deals at very high AAV we can get them without paying a pick. Free agents have to be above 50 million in guaranteed to get a draft comp. I don't see Verlander getting that or Rodriguez.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Final list:

This really kills my plans of getting Eduardo Rodriguez or Verlander for a flip. But if they decline the offer and sign with the Cubs for one year deals at very high AAV we can get them without paying a pick. Free agents have to be above 50 million in guaranteed to get a draft comp. I don't see Verlander getting that or Rodriguez.

:jonesy:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So before Free agency gets crazy here is out projected team as of today based on 40 man:

1B Schwindel
2b Madrigal
SS Hoerner - upgrade here Seager or Correa
3b Wisdom, Bote
OF - Heyward, Happ, Ortega, Deichman, Hermasillo, Canario, Morel, B. Davis (not on 40 man yet)

SP - Hendricks, Mills, Miley, Abbot, Steele, Thompson - upgrades: (Rodon, Scherzer, Gausman) - didn't receive QO's.

A lot is going to depend on if Hoyer wants to do 1 year flip deals, or start building the next window with key long term FA's, or a mixture of both.

If it was me, I would go after Correa or Seager and lose the round 2 pick it would cost to get them. They are MVP caliber players, and we just don't have a guarantee of that in our system right now. This allows us to use Hoerner in the Zobrist role.

As for starters I would do a mixed approach. Sign one guy for 5-7 year deal (Rodon or Gausman), and offer Scherzer a 1-3 year deal.

We have plenty of room to make this happen and allow for great salary flexibility in the next 5 years window.

This is the strongest free agent class in baseball history and the Cubs just can't let this class go by without making good smart moves.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Notable Players Who Didn’t Receive Qualifying Offers

By Mark Polishuk | November 7, 2021 at 7:03pm CDT

Fourteen players were issued qualifying offers before today’s 4pm CT deadline, making the largest slate of offers extended since 20 players received the QO during the 2015-16 offseason. Despite the large number, however, some notable (and surprising) names weren’t issued the one-year, $18.4MM contract by their teams, and will now enter free agency without any draft pick compensation attached to their services.
We already touched on Clayton Kershaw’s situation with the Dodgers, and now let’s look at the three other free agents (all pitchers) who were seen as possible or even probable candidates to receive the QO…
Jon Gray, Rockies
Perhaps the most curious non-decision of the day came from Denver, as the Rockies passed on giving Gray a qualifying offer despite their clear interest in retaining the right-hander. The Denver Post’s Patrick Saunders reports that Gray “likely would have accepted” a qualifying offer, which likely factored into the team’s decision-making process. It seems like the Rockies simply weren’t willing to pay Gray $18.4MM over one year, even though Colorado seemed comfortable in the range of a $13MM average annual value, as per their recent extension offer of a three-year deal worth around $35-$40MM.
It seems entirely possible that Gray could find more than three years and $40MM on the open market, especially without any QO compensation involved. While the Rockies and Gray may yet work out a new contract, the Rox are now in the position of losing Gray for nothing. This would be an especially tough blow for the club considering that they held onto Gray at the trade deadline out of the desire to sign him to a long-term extension.
Carlos Rodon, White Sox
Some late-season shoulder problems resulted in a trip to the injured list and then a reduced workload for the southpaw, putting a bit of a sour end to an otherwise tremendous year. However, the White Sox declined to issue Rodon a qualifying offer, and may now be parting ways with Rodon entirely — both The Athletic’s James Fegan and USA Today’s Bob Nightengale indicated that the Sox weren’t going to make an effort to bring Rodon back for another year on the South Side.
With this in mind, it seems clear that the White Sox didn’t want to run the risk of Rodon accepting the QO, which seemed like a distinct possibility given his late-season shoulder woes, not to mention his lengthy past injury history. It could be that the Sox already consider Rodon as found money, considering they took a $3MM flier on him last winter and he delivered 132 2/3 innings of 2.37 ERA ball. The team might also have further concerns about his long-term health. As Fegan notes, Chicago could use some type of starting depth this offseason, but it looks as though the White Sox feel they can find that rotation help at a cheaper price than Rodon at $18.4MM.
Anthony DeSclafani, Giants
One of several pitchers who have revived their careers after coming to San Francisco, DeSclafani rebounded from a rough 2020 season with the Reds to post a 3.17 ERA over 167 2/3 frames in a Giants uniform. With some less-than-stellar Statcast numbers, however, the Giants may not have been inclined to have DeSclafani back for $18.4MM, though the team does have designs on re-signing him if possible.
There was a decent chance DeSclafani would have accepted the Giants’ QO, just as Kevin Gausman did a season ago. Since the Giants also issued a qualifying offer to Brandon Belt that could be accepted, the club was probably wary of committing $36.8MM to just two players for their 2022 payroll, even if San Francisco has quite a bit of financial room to maneuver.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
After the Wade pick up I would put Rodon under 10% right now. I believe Steel has the edge going into 2022 over the rest of the kids. Rodon pushes him to the pen and it is not a bad idea as Steel was solid in short relief also. It still falls into unlikely as Jed most likely will invest into more stable players. He has enough gamble going on with the farm as it is.

Stroman is still the top target. Grey coming in a bit cheaper is a nice back up plan. Grey has never hit his peak. We saw this with Cole going to the Astros, Max to the Nats, Gausman to the Giants. They turned into powerhouses around 27-30.