Quentin Johnson gives me Kevin White vibes..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Just watched tape on this guy and I see a lack of acceleration. Eventual top speed is good but I just don't see that athletic burst that I would want to see in a top 10 pick. His stats are good, but not great, and really only started producing this season.

Other than the tape I watched, I have only seen one live game (TCU v. Kansas State). Hopefully some TCU fans can chip in on how they evaluate him and if what they think.

If the Bears trade down in that 6-10 range that is where he is projected.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kevin White was very athletic but when he got injured that was it unfortunately. That and only having one good season in college makes me wonder why pace drafted him

Last edited:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just watched tape on this guy and I see a lack of acceleration. Eventual top speed is good but I just don't see that athletic burst that I would want to see in a top 10 pick. His stats are good, but not great, and really only started producing this season.

Other than the tape I watched, I have only seen one live game (TCU v. Kansas State). Hopefully some TCU fans can chip in on how they evaluate him and if what they think.

If the Bears trade down in that 6-10 range that is where he is projected.
How is his route running? I know very little about Johnson.

White didn't utilize an extensive route tree in college. All he could do was run Go routes and that was good enough in college because athletically he was superior to most DBs he faced. Then the injuries came and he lost a step, plus he was a terrible route runner. Bad combo

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's not slow. I think his size throws some people off when they watch him. That being said, his speed isn't his greatest asset. Its his ability to go and get balls.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

White didn't utilize an extensive route tree in college. All he could do was run Go routes and that was good enough in college because athletically he was superior to most DBs he faced. Then the injuries came and he lost a step, plus he was a terrible route runner. Bad combo

Not true. He could run these routes:

The laughing to the bank route
Riding the cart route
Pacing the sideline route
And his best route:

How to be a bust route

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
it's JOHNSTON with a T in there fyi

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Kevin White was an athletic freak and at least good at making 50-50 plays. This guy, Johnston isn't great at anything. Likes to spin move alot for a tall dude and not as good as you would think at high pointing the ball. Im a big believer in staying away from Big 12 receivers in general. They rarely work out and usually have inflated stats from playing against non existent defenses in college.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kevin White was an athletic freak and at least good at making 50-50 plays. This guy, Johnston isn't great at anything. Likes to spin move alot for a tall dude and not as good as you would think at high pointing the ball. Im a big believer in staying away from Big 12 receivers in general. They rarely work out and usually have inflated stats from playing against non existent defenses in college.
Trying Not To Laugh Guy GIF - Trying Not To Laugh Guy - Discover & Share  GIFs

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
He's not slow. I think his size throws some people off when they watch him. That being said, his speed isn't his greatest asset. Its his ability to go and get balls.
I just reviewed the projected 40 times for all the WR prospects this year and none are real burners, maybe 4.45 is tops.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Ha. That’s what worries me about him. Haven’t seen that at all.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
That's why the Bears should just draft all defense. No need for weapons when Weapon X RB 1 is on the field.

Speed

Liked Posts:

He's not asked to run a difficult route tree. I think you could prolly say the same for a lot of big, athletic receivers in that mold though, cuz running fast in straight lines works at that level. He's not 'terrible', but he does need to improve it.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't see great acceleration out of his breaks and he doesn't look great running after the catch. Must be a weak WR class for this guy to be the 1st wr off the board.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The draft on paper is better last year than this... and we drafted a guy older than our QB XDDD

That said are there any who can surprise and come into the draft and shift the board up at all?

Also... I wouldn't be shocked if we draft a WR each day of the draft at this point.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Ha. That’s what worries me about him. Haven’t seen that at all.
It was more prevalent in his game last year than this. He’s had an ankle injury for a good portion of the year. It’s been noticeable in his acceleration and ability to leap over defenders.

He’s been body catching more this year too.

I’m torn. I loved him last year and he’s definitely a guy that can break a game wide open, but I don’t love the idea of him inside the top ten.