Question on Castro hitting philosophy

Which way would you rather have Castro hit?

• Try and change him to develop power

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let him hit like he is now. If you try to change him to power, he may try to hit a hr all the time and his hits will go down and k's will go up. I'd rather him get on face and hit hr's when he does.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I would prefer him to be like he already is. His hitting is his best attribute. His power seems to get better every year and we don't need him to be a 30-40 HR guy.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I think Castro should vacation with Tom Selleck in the Caribbean during the winter and in between playing winter ball he should learn how to grow the Selleck 'stache which would increase his magic unicorn rating by 40.

I think Castro's best comp is mid 90's Harvey Keitel, or maybe it's just Cop Land Harvey. It's kind of hard to pick. If Castro works on his dream factor enough he can get to "John Voight in Midnight Cowboy" status. The 'stache is optional in this.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Castro should get more power naturally in the next three or so years. Hitting wise you leave him be

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we saw the development of him with being more patient and driving the ball with Rowson taking over as hitting coach. I think you give it another year or two to see what you have because he is so young. Hopefully he is able to combine the ability to get singles at the rate he did with that new approach because you've got a difference maker type bat if he does.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
His ability to make contact is pretty awesome already. It's just a matter of ensuring that he makes contact with the right pitches, is able to drive through the ball, etc. That takes pitch recognition which he'll learn as he goes. That probably requires tons of in-game experience and review of game tapes.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
option c

trade him and get one hell of a haul for a:

avg defender at best
.283/.323/14 hr guy

if someone gave me his numbers and didnt say who he was I think most fans would think "ehh" but when you could possibly fleece another team because of his age you do it all day.

i know i know "youz gottazz keepqqszz teh castroowzzz andz stuffz"

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
option c

trade him and get one hell of a haul for a:

avg defender at best
.283/.323/14 hr guy

if someone gave me his numbers and didnt say who he was I think most fans would think "ehh" but when you could possibly fleece another team because of his age you do it all day.

i know i know "youz gottazz keepqqszz teh castroowzzz andz stuffz"

You left out two pieces of the equation with your blind stat line and that is position and age which substantial increases the value. I think many of us are open to trading to Castro, hell I wrote at length about wanting to swap Castro for Upton. And the reason is because of his tremendous value. In what was a down season for him at age 22 his OPS qualified for 7th best amongst SS in baseball last year, with counting Hanley Ramirez as a SS.

I really think the new approach takes time for it to take hold, but there was a clear change in power and patience after Rowson took over. If it combines with his natural contact abilities we are looking at a special player next season.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I really think the new approach takes time for it to take hold, but there was a clear change in power and patience after Rowson took over. If it combines with his natural contact abilities we are looking at a special player next season.

Good lord, someone has filled up on the koolaid.
The clear change in power this year will be attributed to the mighty Rob Deer, during the scheduled pillow fights, that will happen on the road in Dale's suite, after being blown out. That man could swing hard with his eyes closed.

Castro still sucks defensively and has almost no patience at the plate. Maybe the doctors have found an ADHD pill big enough for Castro to swallow.
This will be year number two to digest The Cub's Way book of basics and running the basepads, with the painted corners, that was so cutting edge during spring training last year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good lord, someone has filled up on the koolaid.
The clear change in power this year will be attributed to the mighty Rob Deer, during the scheduled pillow fights, that will happen on the road in Dale's suite, after being blown out. That man could swing hard with his eyes closed.

Castro still sucks defensively and has almost no patience at the plate. Maybe the doctors have found an ADHD pill big enough for Castro to swallow.
This will be year number two to digest The Cub's Way book of basics and running the basepads, with the painted corners, that was so cutting edge during spring training last year.

Have you looked at any of the evidence before writing this?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Other than the alleged pillow fighting, between the drinking buddies, Deer, Bosio, and Dale.
Yes I have looked at the evidence.
I am accurate as usual.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Yes. I watched the worst team in baseball, like you did.
We can split hairs if you'd like.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I also watched alot of rocket shots off the opposing players bats that Castro didn't have a play on.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Yes. I watched the worst team in baseball, like you did.
We can split hairs if you'd like.

Sure I'll feed the troll

NmKSr.png

Those are his 2012 split statistics, which essentially all coincide with what we were told they were doing with Castro around June/July, changing his approach. That's the batting side.

Blah blah blah, walk rate went up, k rate fluctuated, and despite a dip in average, which is to be expected when you try something new in the middle of the season in a really damn (Almost used the big G word, you're welcome Brett) difficult league.

Whatever, I'll take .280/.330/.440 from a SS with average defense all day.

As for the D, after an initial rough period early in the season (OMG MOVES DE CASTROZZZZ TO OF) he righted the ship, made better decisions with the ball, had a plan when he was out there, and continued to show superior range with a plus arm.

Whatever, he's derpy, I'll still take that skill set from a younger player.

And I'd still take that slash line at 3rd, and at CF.

Point is, unless there's a really solid offer for Castro I don't move him. Power corner guys are easier to find than a SS who can OPS .770.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Also, for the love of all things merciful (almost used the G again, damnit), don't fuck with the swing.

Just.

Don't.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
After the 1st few months of the season, Castro was play great defense at SS. Also, after the 2nd half of last season, Castro took more walks and took a lot more pitches. His 3rd year will tell a lot and what he has improved on a lot more. He also went through a slump in the season, but change his batting stance and started to hit again.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Far from a troll.
I just don't like the direction of this team.
If power corners are so much easier to find, then why don't we have any ?
Rizzo hasn't played a full season yet, so it's not fair to suggest that he's some sort of monolith.
Iham BeefStew-Shart is the best they can come up with for this "rewarding journey" Epstein has preached to his lemmings.
Castro's talent is magnified on a bad team. I wouldn't call him anything but slightly above average overall.
But obviously, this team isn't built for the playoffs in mind.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You left out two pieces of the equation with your blind stat line and that is position and age which substantial increases the value. I think many of us are open to trading to Castro, hell I wrote at length about wanting to swap Castro for Upton. And the reason is because of his tremendous value. In what was a down season for him at age 22 his OPS qualified for 7th best amongst SS in baseball last year, with counting Hanley Ramirez as a SS.

cmon now. mike trout, cabrera, pujols, hamilton etc are "special" players.

how do you define a special player? is an avg player special?