Questions about the defense

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First the negatives:
  • Will Goldman be back, and if he returns, will he be in any semblance of shape? If Goldman comes back a force, it makes Hicks' job easier as he won't have to face as many double-teams, which makes Mack's job easier because he won't face as many double- ah fuck it, they're going to double-team Mack on nearly every play no matter what. But both Mack and Hicks battled through multiple injuries last year (Hicks ankle, Mack back), and neither are getting any younger, nor is...
  • Danny Trevathan. Early in the season he looked terrible, but he managed to pick up his play as the season progressed.
  • The secondary. Losing Kyle Fuller isn't the best scenario. Johnson has a recurring shoulder problem which could be career impacting. Eddie Jackson didn't have anywhere close to the year that he had the year before.
  • Robert Quinn. I don't know if it was due to his drop foot condition or due to his adjusting to the 3-4, or to him just getting older. But he had far too few impact plays to justify his salary
  • Losing DL coach Jay Rodgers

Some things that might prove interesting:
  • Mario Edwards. I noticed him whenever he was on the field. I would hope for a starting DL rotation of Edwards, Goldman, and Hicks. Unfortunately I think Edwards is slated to miss some games due to performance-enhancing drugs.
  • I liked what I saw from Kindle Vildor. He reminds me a bit of Fuller the way he attacks the running game.
  • Hoping Trevis Gipson continues to adjust to the pro game. This dude was a force in college. He might even be a better OLB than Quinn at this point.
  • Trufant has some speed (that could be part of his problem- CBs who are overly reliant on speed can hit a wall in the NFL). Hopefully he can be coached to use that speed. Doubtful at this point in his career, but in his highlights he does seem to play the ball better than receivers at times.
  • Khyiris Tonga might prove to have less dropoff at NT from Goldman than Nichols.
  • Losing DC Chuck Pagano. I have no doubt Sean Desai will be a better DC than Pagano.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defense should finish top 15. Talent wise, they’re still better than half the league assuming everyone plays to their potential.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
An improved offense will naturally lead to an improved defense, at least statistically.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
First the negatives:
  • Will Goldman be back, and if he returns, will he be in any semblance of shape? If Goldman comes back a force, it makes Hicks' job easier as he won't have to face as many double-teams, which makes Mack's job easier because he won't face as many double- ah fuck it, they're going to double-team Mack on nearly every play no matter what. But both Mack and Hicks battled through multiple injuries last year (Hicks ankle, Mack back), and neither are getting any younger, nor is...
  • Danny Trevathan. Early in the season he looked terrible, but he managed to pick up his play as the season progressed.
  • The secondary. Losing Kyle Fuller isn't the best scenario. Johnson has a recurring shoulder problem which could be career impacting. Eddie Jackson didn't have anywhere close to the year that he had the year before.
  • Robert Quinn. I don't know if it was due to his drop foot condition or due to his adjusting to the 3-4, or to him just getting older. But he had far too few impact plays to justify his salary
  • Losing DL coach Jay Rodgers

Some things that might prove interesting:
  • Mario Edwards. I noticed him whenever he was on the field. I would hope for a starting DL rotation of Edwards, Goldman, and Hicks. Unfortunately I think Edwards is slated to miss some games due to performance-enhancing drugs.
  • I liked what I saw from Kindle Vildor. He reminds me a bit of Fuller the way he attacks the running game.
  • Hoping Trevis Gipson continues to adjust to the pro game. This dude was a force in college. He might even be a better OLB than Quinn at this point.
  • Trufant has some speed (that could be part of his problem- CBs who are overly reliant on speed can hit a wall in the NFL). Hopefully he can be coached to use that speed. Doubtful at this point in his career, but in his highlights he does seem to play the ball better than receivers at times.
  • Khyiris Tonga might prove to have less dropoff at NT from Goldman than Nichols.
  • Losing DC Chuck Pagano. I have no doubt Sean Desai will be a better DC than Pagano.
Ok, I saw a two-part question in the Goldman section and a bunch of concerns afterwards.

So, I will try to give my answer to the two-part question.

I think that Goldman has become enough of a professional that he worked out while he was out for the year. Look at all of the college players that opted out, had no NFL money to workout yet prepared for their potential NFL careers as draft prospects. Goldman had a lot of money to allow him to have very good nutrition and training throughout the year.

I think that having the year off has allowed him to heal the nagging wounds that come from a full-year NFL program with 16 weeks of games (and now 17) for the Bears.

I believe that he will have a bit of rust in regards to being in football shape, but, since this will be more of a regular offseason, he will have time to correct that issue. I do not believe that he has any more chance of an injury than any of the other Bear players, probably less because he is not recovering from any injury from 2021.

In regards to your concerns:

Trevathan is an aging player and his play has shown that aging. There were 2 players who would have been good replacements for him in 2019, but sadly, both are gone now. There has to be someone added who plays special teams who would not be completely lost if he had to take Trevathan's spot for even a few weeks if not longer.

The CB position is the most troubling for me because our very good 2nd year player has suffered the same injury two years in a row and may miss time again in 2021. Behind him, there is a big drop off from Fuller to anyone who is going to take his place. So it might happen that our two starters for a large amount of games in 2021 had been backups in 2020. That is not good.

I am less concerned with Quinn not making a comeback. There are sufficient backups that could be replacements for him (including UDFA Snowden). Yes, that would be a big step back from prime Quinn and costly at that, but Quinn 2020 was already a huge step back from prime Quinn. I would love Quinn to return to 2019 Quinn, but I am not expecting it at the moment.

I am hoping that the Bears take only a small step back on defense, but take several giant steps forward on offense.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
the Titans and Raiders would beg to differ...

Titans - 4th in offense 30.7 ppg, 24th in defense 27.4 ppg
Raiders - 10th in offense 27.1 ppg, 30th in defense 29,9ppg
And what are you comparing that to? Lol. I am saying for THIS TEAM, a better offensive output will be a boost to THIS defense, compared to last season.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
No concerns here. They’ll be top 5 and I refuse to give any reasons why.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think its hilarious how fucking stupid people on here cant realize just exactly how bad Pagano was at his job. Guy should have stayed in retirement, he's fucking useless in utilizing personnel and in game planning. And he was the fucking idiot that lobbied hard for Pace to re-sign Danny T to that fucking God-awful contract because "he was the leader of the defense." Danny T is just as fucking useless as Pagano was. Pace would be better off throwing his salary into the fucking river.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think its hilarious how fucking stupid people on here cant realize just exactly how bad Pagano was at his job. Guy should have stayed in retirement, he's fucking useless in utilizing personnel and in game planning. And he was the fucking idiot that lobbied hard for Pace to re-sign Danny T to that fucking God-awful contract because "he was the leader of the defense." Danny T is just as fucking useless as Pagano was. Pace would be better off throwing his salary into the fucking river.
@msadows

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Somewhere Pablo is on his couch already calling them overrated.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
And what are you comparing that to? Lol. I am saying for THIS TEAM, a better offensive output will be a boost to THIS defense, compared to last season.
Yeah that comparison is a little bizarre. Tennessee and the Raiders defenses were pretty horrible across the board. Offense can't help that.

As far as the bears, the defense is much more talented than those groups.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Secondary is a scary concern but I still think they could be in that 10-15 range. Maybe even a little higher if desai is the truth and some guys step up

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Secondary is a scary concern but I still think they could be in that 10-15 range. Maybe even a little higher if desai is the truth and some guys step up
If Desai can get Jackson playing like a beast again, that will make the secondary that much better. With or without Fuller.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
the Titans and Raiders would beg to differ...

Titans - 4th in offense 30.7 ppg, 24th in defense 27.4 ppg
Raiders - 10th in offense 27.1 ppg, 30th in defense 29,9ppg
those are bad defenses so ya it makes sense.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

How about the “professionals” that hired him and kept him on payroll? Then refused to replace him after the defense fell apart mid-season?!? And you think the fans are hilarious?

Oy Vey!

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If Desai can get Jackson playing like a beast again, that will make the secondary that much better. With or without Fuller.
That’s a huge emphasis. I don’t think Goldman coming back and the bears being able to stop the run is being talked about enough. That was an issue last year. The big questions for me are if Khalil, quinn, and Jackson could become wrecking balls again. If that happens, the D is going to be good. Another thing to consider, is it’s not only the desai show. Mike fucking Pettine is on the staff and I don’t think that’s getting talked about enough either. That man knows defense and has a proven track record.