Questions about the defense

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is simple math. An offense that can control the clock and ToP will help a defense.

that being said an offense that can drop bombs and score within a minute or two doesn’t necessarily help the defense.

it’s about controlling the clock and keeping the defense off the field. That is generally the big assist from offense.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The CB's are going to get wrecked this year. Especially against good QBs. JJ and Trufant can be a serviceable tandem, but they aren't going to be shutting down any top WRs and then I expect they will have injuries throughout the year.

For the Bears D to be middle of the road, the DL needs to step up and put pressure on QBs because we know the back end will be a weakness. Pace has invested a shit ton of money there (Mack, Quinn, Hicks, Goldman). I have no doubt Mack/Hicks will step up, but it's going to come down to Quinn. Bears need him back to 100% and to step up to make the D work.

I'm curious to see how Desai uses Roquan. Get creative with him and let him blitz more often.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
That’s a huge emphasis. I don’t think Goldman coming back and the bears being able to stop the run is being talked about enough. That was an issue last year. The big questions for me are if Khalil, quinn, and Jackson could become wrecking balls again. If that happens, the D is going to be good. Another thing to consider, is it’s not only the desai show. Mike fucking Pettine is on the staff and I don’t think that’s getting talked about enough either. That man knows defense and has a proven track record.
I agree, getting Goldman back is huge and we will see the difference this season. I would love to see Mack’s sack numbers go up but at least he does get pretty good pressure. That’s what we need from Quinn. I’d sacrifice sack numbers if the rate of pressure increased. Make the QB uncomfortable. Yeah, Petrine could play a big role but like Desai, I think his role is a question mark. He’s going to help, but in what way?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
This is simple math. An offense that can control the clock and ToP will help a defense.

that being said an offense that can drop bombs and score within a minute or two doesn’t necessarily help the defense.

it’s about controlling the clock and keeping the defense off the field. That is generally the big assist from offense.
I agree but there is a time and place when the offense scoring quickly is beneficial. This year, I think the important thing is the offense scoring consistently, no matter how it’s done. If the defense finally sees an offense that can score 30+ points a game, that alone will boost their confidence.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree but there is a time and place when the offense scoring quickly is beneficial. This year, I think the important thing is the offense scoring consistently, no matter how it’s done. If the defense finally sees an offense that can score 30+ points a game, that alone will boost their confidence.
Scoring by any means is important for the offense this year.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
The CB's are going to get wrecked this year. Especially against good QBs. JJ and Trufant can be a serviceable tandem, but they aren't going to be shutting down any top WRs and then I expect they will have injuries throughout the year.

For the Bears D to be middle of the road, the DL needs to step up and put pressure on QBs because we know the back end will be a weakness. Pace has invested a shit ton of money there (Mack, Quinn, Hicks, Goldman). I have no doubt Mack/Hicks will step up, but it's going to come down to Quinn. Bears need him back to 100% and to step up to make the D work.

I'm curious to see how Desai uses Roquan. Get creative with him and let him blitz more often.
Agreed.

Also the Bears new DC is an internal hire.

:notfunny:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah a lot of assumptions are being made about this defense. But there is a LOT that could go wrong here.

Depending on better health on a lot of guys that are 30+. Mack, Hicks, Quinn, and Trevathan dealt with injuries last year, but they were able to play thru most of them. Throw in Gipson and that's 5 starters on D over 30 that missed a combined 4 games last year. None of them were as good as they were in previous seasons and guys over 30 with a history of nagging injuries typically don't all of a sudden get healthy and better. If 5 of your 11 projected starters are either injured or underperforming, the Bears aren't going to be able to sustain the type of defense we are accustomed to. The games where they couldn't make GB punt, the Lions put up 34, and they barely hang on to beat Minnesota will become more of the norm, especially given the schedule this year.

I'm really scared of what could happen on defense. I will say that the Bears have better depth this year with Goldman coming back; Edwards, Blackson and Tonga on the DL; Christian Jones an actual backup LB; and all the mid round pick at DB. Some of these young guy will have to step up, and luckily the old guys can all be gone next year so there shouldn't be any hesitation to give young guys a chance.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Find a way to sign Kwon Alexander and B.Breeland and i'm good with this defense. Pick any two out of this list and i'd feel much better about our defense but i'm also just dreaming right now.

OLB--O.Vernon, M.Ingram, J.Houston.
ILB--K.Alexander, Avery Williamson, Todd Davis.
CB--B.Breeland, Steven Nelson, R.Sherman.

Make it happen Ryan.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Once again what’s your point? He was a Fangio guy that the players love. I’m glad our GM/HC listened to the players

I have no idea how Desai will do long term. But hard to believe he gets that job if Nagy's job security was viewed as being more stable. It probably scared off some candidates.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Something tells me Goldman will be fine and that Hicks will have some good games but will start disappearing for stretches even if healthy.

Will we see game changing takeaway machine Eddie Jackson or soft, playing not to get hurt waste of space Eddie Jackson? That has the most to do with whether this can be a top 5 D imo.